Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying laptop with One4All card

• 15-02-2016 6:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭

I've a One4All card which I'm trying to use on buying a laptop for someone, but that means I'm quite restricted in where I can buy from.
    As far as I can see my options are Argos, Power City, DID, HN, and the Dixons group.

It'll be used mainly for browsing, watching videos, editing docs, that kind of thing. Person concerned does take a fair few photos so will need a decent amount of storage, so a small SSD probably won't do.
    They're upgrading from a rapidly dying 6 year old laptop so anything new is probably going to be fast by comparison, SSD isn't a necessity.
    Decent battery life would be a plus although I imagine it'll mainly be used plugged in.

Ideally looking for something under €350, if possible.

From a quick scan of recent threads I guess I should be looking at something with an A6 / A8 / i3. Everything I've found on the above sites in the price range seems to be either a small eMMC drive and/or a Celeron. A Celeron might do, I've no idea how well it'll deal with HD video.

I'd appreciate either any suggestions within the budget, or any other sites I've overlooked that take One4All cards. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Anything will run HD movies these days (provided we're talking 1080p here...). Celeron and Atom are very closely related, and in a lot of cases I would prefer the Atom. At that price range you are either going to get a small 32GB eMMC, or a normal 500GB spinning disk. You'll be able to get a relatively old skool laptop with Celeron, 500GB disk and 4GB of RAM for that money. I wouldn't be expecting fantastic battery life, nor would I expect it to be particularly fast. Given the price range, and requirements it's just what you're going to get.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

MOH wrote: »
    I've a One4All card which I'm trying to use on buying a laptop for someone, but that means I'm quite restricted in where I can buy from.
    As far as I can see my options are Argos, Power City, DID, HN, and the Dixons group.

It'll be used mainly for browsing, watching videos, editing docs, that kind of thing. Person concerned does take a fair few photos so will need a decent amount of storage, so a small SSD probably won't do.
    They're upgrading from a rapidly dying 6 year old laptop so anything new is probably going to be fast by comparison, SSD isn't a necessity.
    Decent battery life would be a plus although I imagine it'll mainly be used plugged in.

Ideally looking for something under €350, if possible.

From a quick scan of recent threads I guess I should be looking at something with an A6 / A8 / i3. Everything I've found on the above sites in the price range seems to be either a small eMMC drive and/or a Celeron. A Celeron might do, I've no idea how well it'll deal with HD video.

I'd appreciate either any suggestions within the budget, or any other sites I've overlooked that take One4All cards. Thanks

99% sure you can use one for all cards as mastercards online.

http://www.dabs.ie/products/fujitsu-lifebook-a514-intel-core-i3-4005u-4gb-500gb-15-6--windows-10-64-bit-vfy-a5140m730cgb-BQZC.html?src=3

if your willing to add 4 euro to your one4allcard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

99% sure you can use one for all cards as mastercards online.

http://www.dabs.ie/products/fujitsu-lifebook-a514-intel-core-i3-4005u-4gb-500gb-15-6--windows-10-64-bit-vfy-a5140m730cgb-BQZC.html?src=3

if your willing to add 4 euro to your one4allcard

I've found that they don't work. Or at least they are very difficult to use online, especially when you need to use two forms of payment to make up the total cost. (ie, laptop costs 350 and the card is worth 250).

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Halflifept

I´m looking to spend my one4all card on a laptop too. But the offer in Argos is verý limited and Currys is way too expensive!!

Advertisement