Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Charges query

Options
  • 15-02-2016 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

Hi,

I am renting out a bed sit atm... There are 10 bed sits in the house. Is it the landlords responsibility to pay water charges for each bed sit or the tennants? I have been receiving letters under my name but been throwing them in the bin... My landlord has now received a letter stating i owe 180 euro. Can my landlord get in any trouble if I dont pay the water charge or is it only my issue?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Your responsible for your bill .

Should the landlord pay the 10 water ,esb ,gas bills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Your issue OP,

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭yomamma

Gatling wrote: »
    Your responsible for your bill .

Should the landlord pay the 10 water ,esb ,gas bills

Ok Thanks, Yeah thats what I thought.... It no different to an elec bill.. My landlord just prob over freaking as he thinking it fall back on him..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

I enquired yonks ago with my landlord (house split into 2 flats, 2 bedsits & room out the back for when landlord is staying over).

The LL enquired with Irish Water and was told that due to the way the house was plumbed it would be impossible to meter each bedsit etc so a flat charge would be applied. (Have meter on road)

As far as I am aware that's what happens as the only water bill has been addressed to the LL and he has never asked for extra money for water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

yomamma wrote: »
    Ok Thanks, Yeah thats what I thought.... It no different to an elec bill.. My landlord just prob over freaking as he thinking it fall back on him..

Presumably you have your own elec and or gas meter? You would need to have a water meter as well to be billed direct. That means that 10 were installed outside the property. Is this the case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Sarn

A water meter isn't required to be billed directly, they just apply a flat charge. Most apartments don't have meters. In this case as it is a subdivided house IW probably have no idea how to handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭yomamma

Lantus wrote: »
    Presumably you have your own elec and or gas meter? You would need to have a water meter as well to be billed direct. That means that 10 were installed outside the property. Is this the case?

Hi, Ye I have my own elec bills and readings for each bed sit are in box outside the house...

Yeah there was work been done close by to house about year and half ago in relation to meter installments. Work only went on for about 2 weeks and there a number of houses and bedsits on my road so I doubt 10 were installed, one for each bedsit... A few of bed sits in my house registered for water charges and are getting their bills and paying them. There are a few including myself that didnt register.. Now Irish water are sending bills etc to my landlords home address..

My landlord knows he doesnt have to pay the water bills But I now think he will make me pay them as he is in fear of any negativity falling on him.. Should he have this fear?

Thanks

yomamma wrote: »

My landlord knows he doesnt have to pay the water bills But I now think he will make me pay them as he is in fear of any negativity falling on him.. Should he have this fear?

Thanks

You should pay your water bill simple as that.

Advertisement