Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Respiratory monitors

Options
  • 15-02-2016 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭

Do any of you parents use these and have any recommendations?

I'm a new parent to a one week old. He was in the special care unit for 3 days after he was born as he was a few weeks early. I noticed that all babys had these monitors attached which sound an alarm if not breath is detected for 20 secs.

As a new parent, I find myself constantly checking on him when he's sleeping to make sure he's ok.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Angelcare monitor would probably be your best bet.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Yep, we had the angelcare monitor. You need to get one that has a sensor pad that goes under the mattress - thats the one that monitors breathing.

Be warned though, when junior becomes able to move about, you might get a few false alarms if he wiggles out of range. A couple of nights we've gone from fast asleep to Usain Bolt in milliseconds when that child of ours shuffled down to the bottom of the cot. :D

But in the early days, its a great reassurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Even better than an angel care monitor is the Respisense. It's not cheap but 100% worth it. It clips on to the waistband of babies nappy, sounds like it may have been what the hospital used (or a version of).

My dd has severe reflux and has a number of apnoea spells so this has been crucial for her.

http://www.inhealth.ie/respisense-ditto-breathing-monitor.html

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

That's about the same price as the Angel care I think. It'd be handy for putting them down for a nap if out and about.

I had the angel care and found it fantastic. The only thing is remember to switch it off when lifting baby out for feeds during the night. More than once my husband left it on when he lifted our baby and I nearly had heart failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 rdhelp

Our baby has a heart condition, so we had both angelcare and respisense. Could not have gotten by without either. Respisense was great if we were out and about or for long car journeys, or if baby decides he wants to sleep in with me. I wouldn't have slept at all without the angelcare monitor, couldn't recommend it enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭orlyice

My very prem baby (26 weeks) was in neonatal for 13 weeks, the breathing monitors they use in scbu are called mr10 and a sensor probe sticks onto their belly and plugs into the machine. They can be set to alarm after 10 or 20 seconds. The benefit of these over an angelcare is that they flashes every time your baby breaths or you can set it to click too. Great reassurance for mammy to definitely know they are breathing! Don't think you can buy them but Medicare rent them, they ain't cheap! http://www.medicare.ie/mother-baby/infant-respiration-monitors-rental-1/graseby-respiration-monitor-rental.html

We didn't rent one when our man came home, we already had the Angelcare. In hindsight I should have had both. I know how nerve wrecking it can be bringing a new baby home, especially when they are early. Our man had a lot of breathing problems when born, and stopped breathing more times than I can count, we nearly lost him a few times. The angelcare is a better investment imo but I would have relaxed a little t more during the first few weeks if I had the mr10, especially during the day when he wouldn't be using the angelcare or if in the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

My little fella is suffering from silent reflux. The symptoms are under control at the moment and he's happy out for the most part but he seems to be choking on his own saliva at times and we are having to take turns sleeping just to watch over him.

Would these monitors detect choking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

My little fella is suffering from silent reflux. The symptoms are under control at the moment and he's happy out for the most part but he seems to be choking on his own saliva at times and we are having to take turns sleeping just to watch over him.

Would these monitors detect choking?

No. They alarm if there is a pause in breathing or movement.

Best best with reflux we found was to incline the cot slightly up at the head (with a book under the base)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

pwurple wrote: »
    No. They alarm if there is a pause in breathing or movement.

Best best with reflux we found was to incline the cot slightly up at the head (with a book under the base)

Yeah we've tried that. He's on a Zantac like medication and he's improved greatly in every way apart from the choking.
    He just can't catch his breath but will be fine as soon as he's picked up. He can't seem to get over it on his own though so we're afraid to leave him sleep unsupervised.

Advertisement