Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you work at age 15?

Options
  • 15-02-2016 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hey, I'm just wondering if you are allowed to work at age 15 in the likes of a shop like supervalu or dunnes stores etc.
    I would love to work in the summer but I hear u have to be 16.
    thanks for any help.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

From Citizens Information:

Under the Act, employers cannot employ children aged under 16 in regular full-time jobs. Children aged 14 and 15 may be employed as follows:

Doing light work during the school holidays – they must have at least 21 days off work during this time
    As part of an approved work experience or educational programme where the work is not harmful to their health, safety or development
    In film, cultural, advertising work or sport under licences issued by the Minister for Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation

Children aged 15 may do 8 hours a week light work in school term time. The maximum working week for children outside school term time is 35 hours or up to 40 hours if they are on approved work experience.

Advertisement