Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage broker fees

• 15-02-2016 8:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭

Hi,

I am looking for recommendations for a good reasonable mortgage broker. I have been quoted €1300 which I think is a bit steep?! How much is the going rate?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Jeez, that seems like a lot. Our mortgage broker didn't charge us. If I remembered correctly the fee was around 500 euro but we kind of delayed in going with him so he offered to waive it. The broker gets paid by the bank and if you by your life insurance there is a hefty commission on this as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭scarbouro

I know I was a bit shocked at the price! I didn't realise they get paid commission by the bank as well. That price seems extortionate then!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭PaulM1977

Some brokers charge a fee and some don't it is usually dependent on the level of work involved and what can be agreed with you from the outset, i.e. whether you are happy to pay a fee or not. When the mortgage draws down there is a commission paid and there is commission on the life cover. The fee could become payable if approval is obtained and then a client decides not to go ahead, then the broker has done a lot of work for nothing so they may look for a fee to be paid should approval be arranged but the client decides not to proceed for whatever reason.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

scarbouro wrote: »
    I know I was a bit shocked at the price! I didn't realise they get paid commission by the bank as well. That price seems extortionate then!

Depends on the size of the loan and the work involved in securing it I'd have thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭scarbouro

Depends on the size of the loan and the work involved in securing it I'd have thought.

It's not a large mortgage we're looking for, only about 130k.

• Advertisement
Advertisement