Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fingal Co Co Taking Down Party Posters off Lamposts

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Exactly, how many people know that Fingal Council voted AGAINST making multi-nationals pay the full 12.5% corporate rate of tax!!!

Councillor B. Martin - Pharmaceutical Companies, Corporation Tax
    “That this Council calls on multinational pharmaceutical companies operating in the Fingal area to contribute the full corporation tax rate, in order to invest in essential public services in the area.”

This was voted down!!

Maybe the other councillors know that county councils have nothing to do with corporation tax legislation or collection and unlike Mr Martin they did not want to look like a bunch of gombeens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Stheno wrote: »
    Would you prefer to have it in place and a few thousand more on the dole when the pharma companies leave the country?

Why would they leave? 12.5% is the lowest in Europe. They knew it was 12.5% when they came here. So your empty fear-mongering is pathetic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Why would they leave? 12.5% is the lowest in Europe. They knew it was 12.5% when they came here. So your empty fear-mongering is pathetic.

Mod note:
    Please read the forum charter before posting again. Attack the post, not the poster!

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dslamjack

The biggest pity in all of this is that the whole left wing of the body politic has fragmented to the extent it has,instead of it uniting under one flag be it Labour/ a Democratic Left etc as is the case in the UK and Europe.

Here the Left has splintered in to so many factions as to be worthless to themselves ,their causes and society as a whole.
    The one redeeming factor out of the whole sorry pathetic mess that constitutes Irish politic's is that increasing numbers of young people are voicing their opinions and will exercise their vote this Friday and hopefully through their participation will bring about meaningful change in how politics is run and done in this country in the future.

As last years referendum showed,young people can change the country substantially,they only need to step up to the plate,too be counted and too shape their own future's.
    The Students Union of Ireland yesterday asked all its members to return home this Friday if that is where their polling station is,this along with the trade union movement encouraging their young members to vote is to be welcomed.
    I for one think it is brilliant to see so many young people involving them selves in politics and national affairs,even if a few are ''let's say a tad bit exuberant'' in how they express there Democratic zeal ,we can only hope that they have lit the fire that will fan the flames of change,it can't come a day too soon for all of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dslamjack

Driving in to Rush yesterday evening I noticed the amount of vandalised /defaced posters with stickers with slogans like '' I'm a liar'' stuck on them.
    There were also others where the sticker had been removed leaving the imprint of the sticker behind with the effect (most stickers were across the mouth area)that the person had been gagged.
    I also noticed that those responsible had no problem trespassing on private property to vandalise and do their defacing,err would these sap's be off duty Taggers,another shower we can totally do without.
    The best post across all the threads on the election on the forum goes to The Hill Billy
    I'd love to see them implement the model that they use in Switzerland where one or two official displays are put up by the local authority at prominent spots in each town with a poster for each candidate.

It is more eco-friendly, means less litter & creates a level playing field (from an advertising POV) for candidates who don't have access to big marketing budgets. Not to mention that you are saved from the eyesore of posters on every damn pole around.

When this election is over,some thing needs to be done,the one thing to come out of this election is the Poster Issue,it needs to be addressed ,the Billy's solution is perfect and it should then be a seriously findable offence for vandalism or defacement as it should be along with the scourge of Tagging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

I hope FCC take good care of the posters, and return them all to the Candidates, we may need them again in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

They will leave if their rate of tax is cut or they can negotiate a better deal elsewhere like we have seen from many companies in the past, one of the most damaging being Dell moving to Poland and India. What if H.P or Intel decided to pull out? Frightening thought.
    dslamjack wrote: »
    Driving in to Rush yesterday evening I noticed the amount of vandalised /defaced posters with stickers with slogans like '' I'm a liar'' stuck on them.
    There were also others where the sticker had been removed leaving the imprint of the sticker behind with the effect (most stickers were across the mouth area)that the person had been gagged.
    I also noticed that those responsible had no problem trespassing on private property to vandalise and do their defacing,err would these sap's be off duty Taggers,another shower we can totally do without.
    The best post across all the threads on the election on the forum goes to The Hill Billy

When this election is over,some thing needs to be done,the one thing to come out of this election is the Poster Issue,it needs to be addressed ,the Billy's solution is perfect and it should then be a seriously findable offence for vandalism or defacement as it should be along with the scourge of Tagging.

Billys suggestion is bang on. 3 or 4 sites in each town would be well enough. The main streets in all Fingal towns were a right mess with all the posters.

Wonder would any be devious enough to put a few back up belonging to opposition :p

Advertisement