Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City & Guilds Software Tester Course

• 15-02-2016 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all,

Has anyone done this course? I am thinking of applying. I would like to find out what is involved in the course.
    If anyone can shed some light on it I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 vin.f

Hi all,

Has anyone done this course? I am thinking of applying. I would like to find out what is involved in the course.
    If anyone can shed some light on it I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Yeah, I'm halfway through the course myself (Doing it in Baldoyle). Just completed the City & Guilds exams which is more practical than the ISTQB exam.
    So far, we've been mostly writing up test plans, test logs, test specifications and test reports while testing some basic applications. This is basically what you'll be doing for the the C&G exams.

The ISTQB is all theory so there's a lot of studying you have to do but there's plenty of time for that during class. The ISTQB exams aren't until nearer the end of the course.
    We're moving on to SQL scripting and automation testing tomorrow which should be interesting if you'd like to learn how to write code, create and manage databases or know how to use Selenium for automated testing.
    After that there's an MTA exam in Database Administration, alot of the stuff you'll learn during the automation testing but there's supposed to be handouts and tutorials for the MTA that you'll receive as well.

Overall it's a great course in terms of qualifications but whether or not you want to spend your days filling out excel spreadsheets is a different matter entirely. If you get a job by the end of it (which you probably will) you'll be paid enough not to give a rats about the amount of writing you need to do! If you manage to find a company who are developing software you really like then it's a hell of a lot easier too.

Have a look at the ISTQB website. You can download the syllabus there which will give you an idea of the theory, terminology, and practices you'll need to know for the exam.

stqb.org/downloads/send/2-foundation-level-documents/3-foundation-level-syllabus-2011.html4

Also, the actual city and guilds exams are available on their website, there's two assignments for each level (you do level 2 and 3 on the course) and you'll get one of the two assignments for each exam. This should give you a good idea of what you'll be doing on a day to day basis for the first half of the course anyway.
    Just search for software testing Software testing 7540-042 and 7540-043

cityandguilds.com/qualifications-and-apprenticeships/it/it-professional/7540-ict-systems-and-principles-ict-professional-competence#tab=documents

Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tunde00

pls can anyone put me through ,because am interested in doing a software testing exam and would prefer self learning so would anyone recommend the best bok to study with or any good link i can study with type of question that might be ask in the exam,thanks

Advertisement