Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

POLICE CERTS FOR AUSTRALIAN WORKING HOL VISA??

Options
  • 15-02-2016 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hey everyone,

Do you need a police cert when applying for your first Australian work visa? Is it actually a requirement to apply or is it just if they ask for it?

I'm from Ireland but live in Canada and have also lived in Scotland which means I would need 3 certs!?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

SineadV wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

Do you need a police cert when applying for your first Australian work visa? Is it actually a requirement to apply or is it just if they ask for it?

I'm from Ireland but live in Canada and have also lived in Scotland which means I would need 3 certs!?

Thanks

Yes - They expect you to prove that you haven't got any criminal record. Lived in three countries = Three certs required.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

You don't need any police certificates for holiday visas, there is a no criminal declaration by ticking a box on the application. If you have convictions then you will be asked for details.

Police Certificates on applications are usually only required for serious type visas like a permanent migration visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 SineadV

Thanks for your reply! I want to apply for a working holiday visa so i am assuming you would need them as it's not a tourist visa! I know when i applied for the working holiday for Canada they required it but i wasn't sure if it was a requirement for Australia!

Thanks for your reply! I want to apply for a working holiday visa so i am assuming you would need them as it's not a tourist visa! I know when i applied for the working holiday for Canada they required it but i wasn't sure if it was a requirement for Australia!

Working Holiday is what you had in your subject line and what I was referring to, Working Holiday visa is primarily a Holiday visa with limited work rights.

Like a tourist visa you don't need a Police Certificate unless you have a criminal record.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Don't use so many !!!!!!!!!!!!!s on your application form, Sinead! Makes you come across as a bit manic! Your keyboard also has a . key! Bottom right!

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    Don't use so many !!!!!!!!!!!!!s on your application form, Sinead! Makes you come across as a bit manic! Your keyboard also has a . key! Bottom right!
    Think you just came across as manic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

endacl wrote: »

endacl, you've obviously misinterpreted Sinead's message. She's just very enthuasiastic, and clearly only missing the , character, not the . character!

42be213eba78bd11b4af2b5f84977ef637b5654ba1aaa9e4173701a678d3de93.jpg

sorry - couldn't help myself :pac:

endacl, you've obviously misinterpreted Sinead's message. She's just very enthuasiastic, and clearly only missing the , character, not the . character!

42be213eba78bd11b4af2b5f84977ef637b5654ba1aaa9e4173701a678d3de93.jpg

sorry - couldn't help myself :pac:
    Exactly...thanks woolymammoth! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

You dont need police certs for whv

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Like a tourist visa you don't need a Police Certificate unless you have a criminal record.

That's not true - If you have a criminal record you will be barred from entry. You're not going to be asked to prove that you have a criminal record !

The Police Clearance Certificates for countries that you've lived in (Note: Lived In - Not just visited) are specifically to prove that you don't have a criminal record.

For a work permit (which is the question that was originally asked) you need to supply Police Clearance Certificates for countries that you've lived in.

• Advertisement

Long Gone wrote: »
    That's not true - If you have a criminal record you will be barred from entry. You're not going to be asked to prove that you have a criminal record !

The Police Clearance Certificates for countries that you've lived in (Note: Lived In - Not just visited) are specifically to prove that you don't have a criminal record.

For a work permit (which is the question that was originally asked) you need to supply Police Clearance Certificates for countries that you've lived in.

Your post is most laughable. Let's look at the facts.

A criminal record does not bar entry, in fact what bars entry is 12 months custodial sentence and even then it's still possible if the sentence is spent and under what nature it relates too. This is the case for most visas.

The work permit you refer to (although there are no work permits in Australia) is a 417 Working Holiday visa. It's a holiday visa akin to something that fell out of cornflake packet, in the application it asks

Do you have any Criminal convictions YES or NO?

If you have then you have to supply details, there's no way that everyone on a 417 has had to supply a Police Certificate beforehand to get a visa that's usually approved within 24 hours.

Nearly choked laughing at you when I read that.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

Long Gone wrote: »

Totally untrue. I know of two people approved for WHVs last year with criminal convictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kate07

You don't need police certs to apply for an Australian working holiday visa (417). you just fill a form and get your visa within hours, I got mine in an hour!

The Canadian equivalent visa is a more complicated process in all regards.

Yeah got mine in less than 30min..amazed! Def not like Canada. They make it sooo complicated.

Yeah got mine in less than 30min..amazed! Def not like Canada. They make it sooo complicated.

It's like I said a 400 series visa is cornflake box material.

Advertisement