Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

gym shower help/advice

• 15-02-2016 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Okay, perhaps a totally silly question.

At the gym there are showers, I live relatively close so I usually just walk home and have a shower. It would be easier to use the gym showers, but honestly am nervous about the procedure - where do I hang my towel to keep it dry ? The showers are just large cubicals. Do I have to step out nude and change infront of others - yaya we are all guys etc.. I'm just not cool with it.

I know this sounds so silly, but I cannot really sit there an observe guys showering to see how the "pro's" do it, and its never quiet enough for myself just to have a look and check out the size of the shower, space and all.

Okay, hopefully that makes sense. Any gym showering advice ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

jogdish wrote: »

At the gym there are showers, I live relatively close so I usually just walk home and have a shower. It would be easier to use the gym showers, but honestly am nervous about the procedure - where do I hang my towel to keep it dry ? The showers are just large cubicals. Do I have to step out nude and change infront of others - yaya we are all guys etc.. I'm just not cool with it.

I know this sounds so silly, but I cannot really sit there an observe guys showering to see how the "pro's" do it, and its never quiet enough for myself just to have a look and check out the size of the shower, space and all.

Having to step out naked and change in front of others doesn't sound like a big problem, unless you have a little problem ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Stroll in, balls out, and go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Take off clothes, affix towel around waist.
    Put on flip flops and walk into shower area.
    Enter shower cubicle and take off towel.
    Hang towel over cubicle door or perhaps door has outer hook/handle to hang it off - you will see where others have put their towels on the way in.
    Shower.
    Take towel down and dry off a bit, still in cubicle.
    Affix towel round waist and walk back to changing area.
    Get dressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Every gym is different. Some will have hooks for your towel at the entrance to the shower facilities, some have them outside the cubicle, some will have none and you will might have to leave it on sink basin or toss it on the cubicle wall.

As for being nude, no one cares or will pass any notice. Bring some footwear, showers can be manky and unhygenic, no skin on the bench, sit on your towel. And don't go crazy with powders or spray, that annoys everyone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

At the gym there are showers, I live relatively close so I usually just walk home and have a shower.
    Nothing silly about the question at all JD and going the other direction to give a different perspective to the suck it up and carry on angle; I'd say if on balance it bothers you more than it inconveniences you then just keep doing what you're doing.

On those rare occasions where I've crossed the thresholds of gymnasiums - and not just to collect ex girlfriends, or mates who've done themselves a mischief - they had individual shower cubicles, though in one place the changing rooms contained a collection of stereotypes… If I'd had to use a communal, prison style shower facility? Nope, with a further backorder of nope that will be delivered shortly. It's less about privacy TBH and more about levels of comfort I prefer. About the only things "communal" I'd be on board with are tapas and/or turkish "cigarettes".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

jester77 wrote: »
    showers can be manky and unhygenic, no skin on the bench, sit on your towel.
    And that's where I'd be lost J. :D I'd have a second shower when I got home. In the finest carbolic. It reminds me of the vaunted ancient Roman "hygiene" of the daily baths and public conveniences. In the former they changed the water only daily if you were lucky, so you were "bathing" in other's excretions, of the latter not much can be said, save for the fact in the wipage area you were sharing a sponge on a stick with your neighbour.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

i live close to the gym and never use their showers,for one reason, i would be still sweating to much after the workout so i have a 5 minute drive home,a banana and a drink,then i have stopped sweating and have a gud hot shower

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Wibbs wrote: »
    And that's where I'd be lost J. :D I'd have a second shower when I got home. In the finest carbolic. It reminds me of the vaunted ancient Roman "hygiene" of the daily baths and public conveniences. In the former they changed the water only daily if you were lucky, so you were "bathing" in other's excretions, of the latter not much can be said, save for the fact in the wipage area you were sharing a sponge on a stick with your neighbour.

Yeah, I've been in places where I waited to get home to shower because of how bad they were. And I've been in others that were amazing. Usually the more expensive places or the places that have shared shower facilities for men/women are the cleanest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

What ever you do, do not dry yourself especially your man parts with the hair dryers.

Bloody hate it when the foreigners (yes it's them!) do it, even though there are plenty of signs telling them not to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

i live close to the gym and never use their showers,for one reason, i would be still sweating to much after the workout so i have a 5 minute drive home,a banana and a drink,then i have stopped sweating and have a gud hot shower

You won't be at that malarky when water charges are no longer capped, you'll be in swinging your mickey about in the changing room with the rest of us

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Just don't drop the soap and you will be fine.

slinky2000 wrote: »
    Bloody hate it when the foreigners (yes it's them!) do it.
    You won't be at that malarky when water charges are no longer capped, you'll be in swinging your mickey about in the changing room with the rest of us
    Just don't drop the soap and you will be fine.

OK, dial that kinda stuff right back and try and keep to a basic standard of posting please.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

In the gym I go to there are no individual cubicles, it's all communal showers. You've just got to go with it. Nobody there cares if you're balls naked or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

In the gym I go to there are no individual cubicles, it's all communal showers. You've just got to go with it. Nobody there cares if you're balls naked or not.

If you play football or other team sports you'll always have to use communal showers after

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

used to have a similar issue. Not sure why but I wasnt comfortable showering in public. Joined a gym again a few months ago, and now I just get on with it and am pretty comfortable with it all now. No-one cares really, no-one is really looking and if they are, well sure, best of luck to them. Its no big deal once you do it a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Disgruntled Badger

Odd post. Sorry but why would you be bothered. No one else is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Odd post. Sorry but why would you be bothered. No one else is?
    I remember being 16 and hitting the showers after the gym. Sitting on the bench in the changing room taking my socks off when some guy stopped at the locker right in front of me and his arse was right at my eye level. 'Oh ffs' I thought, and then he turned around and was carrying an appendage that could easily have rivalled Jonah Falcon. For shame I skipped the showers that day :D

Advertisement