Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vintage commercial doe

Options
  • 15-02-2016 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

hello. I know this has been covered to a certain degree before but just have a couple of questions.
    I have a 1973 ice cream van.
    I very been told that it does need a doe despite it being 43 years old. Is that correct?
    The original windscreen is in it (triplex wide zone toughened) which is not laminated. I've had a safety film applied to it by shades in ballycoolin. It's the same stuff they use on g4s vans and Garda cars to stop the glass shattering.
    the van is tiptop in all other areas and this is the only worry I have going into the doe, that they will fail me on the glass and I'll have to do a retest etc....
    Can anyone tell me would I pass having taken the precautions listed above or will I definitely need a laminated screen?
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

I think that's correct. All "commercials" have to have a CVRT. The only exception I know of is for campers pre 1980.

No idea on the windscreen , never heard that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

We should be getting the results of the RSA consultation from the government any day now. (election??)
    Maybe no CVRT for commercials not used commercially.

http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates%20authoring/debateswebpack.nsf/takes/dail2016011300128

But if you are using for commercial purposes then I suspect it will have to be tested either way.

With the MOT in the UK they used to make allowances to reflect what was acceptable at the time of the vehicles manufacture, so you should be ok with the glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭pryantcc

I think the glass would be OK too. Sure lash it in anyway and see! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 chimpdoctor

Thanks for the replies guys. If the tax man wont tax her I'll put her through the doe and see how we go. Cheers again

Advertisement