Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setup for new home business

Options
  • 16-02-2016 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I need help figuring out a setup for my new home business.

I need to have good security, back up and significant storage for scanned documents.

i'd also like the ability to virtualize my desktop on a laptop, share files and do at least basic CAD on the go.

I currently have a decent laptop with 16GB RAM, i7, with an SSD and several 3.5" 1TB HDD's.

Is there a good desktop setup that will tick all the boxes. I have looked at a NAS server but they seem very expensive for what they deliver.

Is offsite back up worthwhile?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

What will the main usage be?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭hairypigeon

CAD for architecture and drafting/exchanging of legal docs, I would like a VPN style access or desktop virtualisation preferably the option with better performance

My office is at home so if i could use it as a NAS media server it would be good.

other than some light gaming thats it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

The pre-built NAS options are usually very expensive for what they offer. ED E and myself have both built similar servers for similar(ish) use cases. Maybe have a look at those threads to give you an idea. They're still relevant as nothing new has really shown up in the same sort of price bracket since then.

Oh, except unRAID, that's gotten quite a bit more cool since I built my server. So much so I'm thinking of moving over to it, once I get time to put it through its paces first.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah, flexraid has some weird mannerisms, unRaid is where its at now.

Any reason why you wouldnt dock the laptop and go with that + NAS?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭hairypigeon

none really to be honest except that its a gigabyte u2442v from 2012 and i havent been able to find a decent dock for it

i could use the old laptop as the desktop/server do you reckon it would have the spec to handle this sort of stuff?

full spec is

i7 3517CPU @2.4ghz

16 gb DDR3

360 gb all ssd

i then need a new laptop to handle cad but it needs to be portable use windows 10 and have a full size keyboard happy to take those suggestions

• Advertisement
Advertisement