Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd licence question

Options
  • 16-02-2016 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've just recently received my first licence for my little .22lr. It took over 3 months, but thanks to my range/club, I was able to shoot for the entire waiting time.

I'm looking to get into longer range stuff, so thinking of getting a .223.

My question is, should I wait a few more months before applying for a 2nd licence for a .223? Bear in mind, my .22 license is effectively less than a month old, yet I've been shooting for the guts of 6 months.

Any thoughts and views are welcome,
    Al.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

alanmc wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've just recently received my first licence for my little .22lr. It took over 3 months, but thanks to my range/club, I was able to shoot for the entire waiting time.

I'm looking to get into longer range stuff, so thinking of getting a .223.

My question is, should I wait a few more months before applying for a 2nd licence for a .223? Bear in mind, my .22 license is effectively less than a month old, yet I've been shooting for the guts of 6 months.

Any thoughts and views are welcome,
    Al.

No need to wait stick it in straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Go for it now, no point in waiting

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

There is no legal maximum number of guns you can have or a minimum time frame you must wait between applications. This of course is tempered by "Good Reason" and common sense. IOW don't apply just because you fancy it. You must have good reason for needing the firearm.

Once you can show this you can apply as often and as much as you like.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

Thanks lads.

The range I shoot at has a good few competitions out to 400 and 600 yds, that I'd like to take part in. My .22 won't really allow me to do that with any degree of accuracy :) I'm just about getting away with 100yds.

I'll go shopping so.

Thanks again lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 mick65cm

Just play devils avocate but if your only just shooting a few months and as you say your only jus "getting away" at 100 with a 22 then i wouldnt hurrying to get 223

223 rounds cost hell of a lot more and if it was me i wouldnt want to be perfecting my shooting on expensive equipment and it only gets harder further out you go. shouldnt be ****any**** issues at 100 with a 22. should be putting them into size of a 2 cent coin.

i know its excitin and all get new guns and only shooting close range can get boring but my advise if you can you should wait until you have the year of shhooting under your belt and then apply. probably the guards wont care too much if you apply now but just think of your wallet. but the choice is yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Just on a side note. Where are you range shooting? I have a .22lr coming up on 9 months now and was hoping to get in to the range shooting side of things.

Luckysasha wrote: »
    Just on a side note. Where are you range shooting? I have a .22lr coming up on 9 months now and was hoping to get in to the range shooting side of things.

I'm shooting in the Midlands Shooting Centre in Blueball just outside Tullamore. Great facilities. Sound bunch as well.

mick65cm wrote: »
    Just play devils avocate but if your only just shooting a few months and as you say your only jus "getting away" at 100 with a 22 then i wouldnt hurrying to get 223

223 rounds cost hell of a lot more and if it was me i wouldnt want to be perfecting my shooting on expensive equipment and it only gets harder further out you go. shouldnt be ****any**** issues at 100 with a 22. should be putting them into size of a 2 cent coin.

i know its excitin and all get new guns and only shooting close range can get boring but my advise if you can you should wait until you have the year of shhooting under your belt and then apply. probably the guards wont care too much if you apply now but just think of your wallet. but the choice is yours.

That's a fair point. I'm definitely getting decent groups at 100yds with my .22. Maybe not 2 cent coin size. More like 2 euro. I've tried High velocity as well as sub-sonic.

Maybe I'll give it a few months and see if I can improve.

mick65cm wrote: »
    shouldnt be ****any**** issues at 100 with a 22. should be putting them into size of a 2 cent coin.
    On a perfect day, no wind, no rain, and with match grade ammo, then yes.

The .22lr is prone to a mouse fart. With a 6.5 - 8 inch drop from 50 to 100 yards and with wind deflection of up to 5 inches in only a 10 mph wind at 100 yards its not so easy to get 18 mm groups all day. Plus rimfire ammo is notoriously inconsistent and flyers are common. You cannot discount them simply because they ruin your group.
    I'm shooting in the Midlands Shooting Centre in Blueball just outside Tullamore. Great facilities. Sound bunch as well.
    i'll be over this Sunday and next weekend. I'll bring my bolt action 223. You can try it and see what you think. Standing offer.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Cass wrote: »
    On a perfect day, no wind, no rain, and with match grade ammo, then yes.

The .22lr is prone to a mouse fart. With a 6.5 - 8 inch drop from 50 to 100 yards and with wind deflection of up to 5 inches in only a 10 mph wind at 100 yards its not so easy to get 18 mm groups all day. Plus rimfire ammo is notoriously inconsistent and flyers are common. You cannot discount them simply because they ruin your group.

i'll be over this Sunday and next weekend. I'll bring my bolt action 223, and semi auto 223. You can try both and see what you think. Standing offer.

Thanks Cass. I might take you up on that. Jody (one of the range officers) has given me a few shots off his Ruger .223 on the 100 yd. I definitely found it much more 100yd-friendly than my CZ .22lr.

• Advertisement

The 223 is a good 600 yard gun with the right scope and ammo.

If you're really interested in the long range stuff you could always consider a 308. Lets you shoot from 100 all the way out to 1000. you don't need to the FTR set up that the lads use. A standard rifle will get you started and be more than good enough for 600 yards. Also lets you change it to an F-Class style rifle if you decide to go that route. If not you still have a cracking target rifle, that could be used for deer down the road.

I'll bring the 308 too, and you can get a bash at it.

Just got my grant letter for my .223 today. I got a Tikka T3 in the end. Should be able to collect it next week. :)

I've kept my .22 as well so I can practice on the cheap.

Cheers for the advice lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Thats some good news. Have fun with it.

Great stuff. Hope you enjoy it. Cracking rifle.

I'll probably see you on the firing line so. :cool:

Cass wrote: »
    Great stuff. Hope you enjoy it. Cracking rifle.

I'll probably see you on the firing line so. :cool:

Absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭jb88

That's a fair point. I'm definitely getting decent groups at 100yds with my .22. Maybe not 2 cent coin size. More like 2 euro. I've tried High velocity as well as sub-sonic.

Maybe I'll give it a few months and see if I can improve.

Try RWS R100 .22 Rounds, at 100 and 200 it will give you that group all day long from a bench.

If your rifle is zeroed to 50m and you have a scope with clicks of 1/4 MOA for 100 yards come up 4 MOA

for 200 yards add an additional 15.75 MOA and if you have no wind then no problem.
    Just don't expect that standing at 100 or kneeling or sitting at 200yards ;-)

Advertisement