Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salthill Sprint Triathlon

Options
  • 16-02-2016 4:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Looking for some experienced advice, I hope to do my first Triathlon this year(I hope to do more than one to be honest but Ill target one to start with). Due to work commitments the Salthill Sprint Triathlon in June is my best fit, there is one in Westport around the same time but it doesnt suit.

A bit of back ground, I have been cycling mainly for the past year and a half but I have done 5km, 8km 10km, Half marathons and Duathlons over the past 3 years or so. Last year I had a lot on so I didnt enter any events but this year I plan to enter quiet a few. Starting with the Saddle up for Epilepsy Charity Cycle in Mayo in 2 weeks.

However I'm very interested in doing a Triathlon always have been. I've always been a strong enough swimmer(not the fastest) but I know I will have to do a little work on this before an event.

Can any one give me some advise on Triathlons, on the Salthill Triathlon(maybe you have done it last year), how did you find it? Also I looked online at eventbrite and they dont mention having to purchase a One day Triathlon Ireland pass for it on top of the entry fee? Is this just an oversight or are they just taking it for granted that you should already know this, or is it not required?

Thanks again all advise welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Hi Guys,

Looking for some experienced advice, I hope to do my first Triathlon this year(I hope to do more than one to be honest but Ill target one to start with). Due to work commitments the Salthill Sprint Triathlon in June is my best fit, there is one in Westport around the same time but it doesnt suit.

A bit of back ground, I have been cycling mainly for the past year and a half but I have done 5km, 8km 10km, Half marathons and Duathlons over the past 3 years or so. Last year I had a lot on so I didnt enter any events but this year I plan to enter quiet a few. Starting with the Saddle up for Epilepsy Charity Cycle in Mayo in 2 weeks.

However I'm very interested in doing a Triathlon always have been. I've always been a strong enough swimmer(not the fastest) but I know I will have to do a little work on this before an event.

Can any one give me some advise on Triathlons, on the Salthill Triathlon(maybe you have done it last year), how did you find it? Also I looked online at eventbrite and they dont mention having to purchase a One day Triathlon Ireland pass for it on top of the entry fee? Is this just an oversight or are they just taking it for granted that you should already know this, or is it not required?

Thanks again all advise welcome.

The Salthill race is a Triathlon Ireland sanctioned event so either a one day licence or TI membership will be required.

The race itself is very good. Swim has usually been a little long, and the weather on the day will play a big role as it can be fairly choppy there but its a lovely spot to swim. Bike is fairly fast on decent roads. Again the wind can be an issue. The run is as flat as you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Was my first sprint years ago as the cope Tri. Same route and did it last year too. Very well organised and good turn out last one I did. Sea can be choppy but it only makes it interesting. Take ur time and make sure to get well used open water swimming beforehand. After that cycle is a nice spin, roads aren't great but very quick out and back. Run is along the prom and always well supported.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Thanks for the positive review BTH, IB82 like said above odl is required as its a TI sanctioned race.

I have tended towards longish swim legs in the past as the bike is flat and the swim spreads the field a bit and avoids groups on the bike.

Will hopefully be a bit more accurate this year.

Its an early start, 8am, its a commercial race (not that it makes any money) and its part of Tribesman Triathlon Series which also includes a May 7th Duathlon, Salthill Sprint x2 and an Olympic in mid July.

Hopefully see you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭irish_bhoy82

Thanks Guys for all the feedback. I did the Galway Bay Half Marathon there a few years back and I remember it being very flat alright. I done a bit of Lake swimming last year and well I grew up beside the Atlantic and it was where I learned to swim so I do have some experience of it, altho I know its very different I'll prepare as best I can.

Just a query tho, If you are travelling to the event on your own. What do people normally do about keeping there Car keys/ valuables while they are racing? Would you trust leaving them in transition?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Chuck them in ur saddle bag on your bike or alternatively there is bag drop too which was monitored last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I have tended towards longish swim legs in the past as the bike is flat and the swim spreads the field a bit and avoids groups on the bike.

Will hopefully be a bit more accurate this year.

Please please please keep the swim long.
    It increases my chances of staying ahead of Divilly/Naughton/O'Dowd et al. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

BTH wrote:
    Please please please keep the swim long. It increases my chances of staying ahead of Divilly/Naughton/O'Dowd et al.

I've heard they have put in a complaint regarding swim distances :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Looking forward to doing this too. Have heard some good things about it.

BTH wrote: »
    Please please please keep the swim long.
    It increases my chances of staying ahead of Divilly/Naughton/O'Dowd et al. :D

All distance requests for the swim should be submitted on the back of a €50😊

I've heard they have put in a complaint regarding swim distances :-)

All complaints need to be accompanied by a €50 processing fee 😊 non refundable of course

• Advertisement

Thanks Guys for all the feedback. I did the Galway Bay Half Marathon there a few years back and I remember it being very flat alright. I done a bit of Lake swimming last year and well I grew up beside the Atlantic and it was where I learned to swim so I do have some experience of it, altho I know its very different I'll prepare as best I can.

Just a query tho, If you are travelling to the event on your own. What do people normally do about keeping there Car keys/ valuables while they are racing? Would you trust leaving them in transition?

Transition and bag drop are well manned and either should be ok, I would probably leave valuables in car and keys in bag drop or saddle bag. There's is a fair amount of parking right next to transition.

Advertisement