Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington - 3 Time Major Winner/Ryder Cup Captain/US Senior Open Champion 2022!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Yes, Marcel Siem and Beef were other invites last week, but there winnings are not counted to the R2D points.

Basically, they are already eliminated from R2D, so can;t earn anymore points. Final series points are only for those qualified in top X, up to WGC China/.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

MarcusP12 wrote:
    Don't know much about this whole race to Dubai thing but was this an out of regular season event though? The Rolex series is it? There was a reduced field so I assume the top whatever qualifies plus a few invites, one of which was paddy....couldn't be ar$ed looking it up...so if this was an out of season event as part of the end series, then it would make sense that his earnings don't qualify for the race to Dubai. But maybe if it was part of the regular season it would? Just guessing here....

Fair enough but then how could it count towards Ryder Cup?

Just looking for consistency. Either it counts for everything or nothing. (Although presumably he could cash the cheque.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

First Up wrote: »

Just looking for consistency. Either it counts for everything or nothing. (Although presumably he could cash the cheque.)
    All events count for Ryder Cup the year before the Cup. Not all events count towards some series' as the year ends soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

It counts for everything bar this years race to Dubai series.

I.e. he earns world ranking points, points towards the Ryder cup and had he won and needed an exemption it would have also counted for that.

It is only because he earned it as an invite in the final series (one of 3 events) that we have this anomaly. The Turkish Open had a field of the Top 70 in R2D rankings plus invites, then next week it's top 64 + invites and then only the top 60 compete in the final event.

If it was in January and somebody won some cash, for arguments sake an event, on the ET then it would count towards the R2D I'd imagine.

ligerdub wrote:
    It is only because he earned it as an invite in the final series (one of 3 events) that we have this anomaly. The Turkish Open had a field of the Top 70 in R2D rankings plus invites, then next week it's top 64 + invites and then only the top 60 compete in the final event.

OK, so the qualification for 2018 cards ended the previous week and the Turkish scores had no effect on that for anyone. Same goes for the Nedbank.

That's fair enough but invitees getting points towards the Ryder Cup and from such small fields is skewing it a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭bren2001

OK, so the qualification for 2018 cards ended the previous week and the Turkish scores had no effect on that for anyone. Same goes for the Nedbank.

That's fair enough but invitees getting points towards the Ryder Cup and from such small fields is skewing it a bit.

It is giving Harrington additional chances to qualify but lets be realistic, if someone is relying on invites, they are not going to qualify for the Ryder Cup on merit. Paddy could also get a captains pick so its not necessarily based on merit either.

bren2001 wrote:
    It is giving Harrington additional chances to qualify but lets be realistic, if someone is relying on invites, they are not going to qualify for the Ryder Cup on merit. Paddy could also get a captains pick so its not necessarily based on merit either.

He's not relying on invites (he has his card) but it is allowing him jump the queue a bit. If it came down to the wire it could make all the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭redarmy

It was very nearly a great week for me in Turkey. From round one I got myself into the mix. A good score in the first round is always nice as it can mean that you could be around the business end on Sunday. I opened up with six under on Thursday to be one behind the leaders and, hard as it may seem, I was a little disappointed as I had missed a few chances - I missed three putts for birdie in my from inside 10 feet. I played nicely and hit a lot of good iron shots and particularly some nice wedges.
    Round two was disappointing as I shot 1 over par and really I should have shot at least a couple under. I put myself in good positions but struggled to get the ball close with my approach shots. When I was on the course it felt like I was falling well back but luckily the scoring wasn’t that good and I didn’t lose too much ground. It was a little frustrating as I had hit my approach shots well the previous day.
    On Saturday I was much better, more like the first round. I put myself in good positions from the tee and took advantage of it with my approaches. Bar a pulled approach into the water on the 15th that cost me a bogey, the rest of the round was good. I ended up shooting 7 under par for 12 under overall, which was good enough to get me into the final group on Sunday with Shane Lowry.
    I’ve played with Shane in tournaments before but never in a final group on a Sunday. It was definitely a little odd at first and it took me a couple of holes to get fully into it and concentrating on my game. It was definitely enjoyable playing with him and having someone there to have a laugh with. Hopefully we will be in that position many more times together!
    In my final round there were a few crucial moments. I chipped in on the 6th for birdie, and hit a really good chip shot on the 7th to make sure I saved par. Then I had a “hole out” on the 10th that has been shown on Twitter and Instagram - it was from 60 yards and I had been practicing that length shot on the range all week, so was feeling good about it. It will go down as one of the pars of the year. However I reckon I hit one of the best shots of my career on the 7th hole which wasn’t seen. I had hit a tree with my second shot and ended up in the middle of the woods. I was 228 yards to the front of the green and had a small gap to get it through. Before I hit it I said to Ronan that it was very risky but we didn’t have much choice and I ended up hitting a 5 iron through a tunnel of about 80 yards long to just short of the green.
    While I ended up finishing 2 shots behind Justin in the end, during the round I felt that I had a chance to win. The only problem was that every time I made some headway and thought I had caught the lead, they seemed to push one ahead. For example, after I eagled the 15th, I was sure going down the 16th that I would be tied for the lead and so when I got to the green and saw Justin at 17 under I was surprised. In the end I could only par the last three holes, albeit was very close to birdieing each of them. The other guys played the last three holes very well and so it wasn’t to be my day.
    I enjoyed being in the mix and having a chance to win. There’s nothing like the buzz of competing for a tournament coming down the stretch. What I was most happy about was that I hit the shots when I needed to, it just wasn’t my turn.
    I left Turkey feeling good about things. I had a good week on the course and we had good craic off it. Kevin Moran and his wife Eleanor were there and we had dinner a few nights. I think he was sick of us quizzing him about football by the end of the week!!
    I’m heading to Sun City and will be looking to keep the momentum going. Last week I stayed away from technical practice and spent a lot of time on my wedges and it really paid off. I will be sticking with it and hopefully it can have similar results.
    Talk soon,
    Padraig.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Great read that. Padraig really is a beautiful man. What a great representative for our little country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

he better win this too:

I presume he will be in the running for one of the shows:
    IRELAND’S GREATEST SPORTING MOMENT - VOTING

The programme shortlist for episode 1, the 1980s, will be announced on Facebook Live at 5.00pm on Thursday 9 November, voting lines will open at 9.30pm.

Ways to vote:

FACEBOOK - reply to the post on the rte sport page www.facebook.com/RTEsport/
    TWITTER - use #irelandsgreatest followed by Moment 1-5
    INSTAGRAM – post an image and use #irelandsgreatest Moment 1-5
    TEXT – text Moment 1-5 to 51155 WEB – Select your favourite from the poll on rte.ie/sport

Go on padraig!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »

Fair play to him, we need more pros like that willing to call out slow players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭redarmy

It wasn’t the week I hoped for. Going there, off the back of a good week in Turkey, I was feeling confident about my game. My practice went well on Tuesday and Wednesday too and so I was all set. However the Gary Player course got the better of me.
    I opened up on Thursday morning with a birdie on the first and I was thinking what an easy game it is. But not for long! A bad drive on the next brought me back to earth and I played poorly for the rest of the round. I hit it in the trees a few times and had to take a couple of “unplayables”. In the end I shot 2 over par which was a good score considering how I played. Even though I struggled I still missed a couple of putts and if I had shot level par, it would have been a unbelievable round.
    On Friday and Saturday I played much better and had chances both days to shoot good scores. On Friday I shot level but made four birdies. Having made that many birdies I would have expected to shoot under par, but a couple of poor decisions cost me around the 5th and 6th. On Saturday I played ok, probably not as good as I did on Friday but I kept the mistakes off my card for most of the round and was 3 under for the day and 1 under for the tournament playing the 17th. However a bad three wood off the tee left me a lot to do. I was hitting 5 iron, miss-hit it and it didn’t carry the water - it ended up costing me a double bogey. At 1 under par I was on the fringe of contention but at 1 over I had no chance.
    Sunday was a tough day. I actually drove the ball good and chipped and putted well, but my approach play was poor. We struggled with clubbing all day. The wind swirls a lot there and it seemed that everything we picked, the wind direction switched by the time I hit. I struggled to commit to shots then and so hit a lot of poor irons. It’s a common complaint there and it’s what makes the course so tough. It was one of those days when whatever decision we made, it was the wrong one!
    In the end I finished on 4 over par for the week which was disappointing as I know I could have been a lot better.
    That’s my European season over now. I’ve enjoyed the last few weeks - the tournaments were great and it was more like when I started on tour with Shane, Dunners and myself together most evenings.
    Talk soon,
    Padraig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Jawgap wrote: »
    Yeah I know this man's son. He'd told me about it before Tweet from Padraig.
    Hole in one at 86! Great to be able to get out of bed and play golf at 86.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

I'm arrived home ten minutes ago. Still sitting in the car listening to Padraig on Newstalk. Could listen to him all day

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Just listened back to the whole lot of it on you tube. He is a class act and as you said could listen to him all day

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    I'm arrived home ten minutes ago. Still sitting in the car listening to Padraig on Newstalk. Could listen to him all day

Snap! As you say, enthralling. He is just so honest - about everything.
    Must say it was a great program. Only caught the last 40 mins or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Heard him and Kimmage were great. Must listen back when I get a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moycullen14

His description of the 18th at Carnoustie was the most intriguing bit, especially the interaction between himself and Ronan. Both of them saying things that neither believed. The absolute balls of the man to pull it off after two shots that a 12 handicapper would have been ashamed of.

Kimmage and himself hopping off each other made for great radio. Happy to disagree on things without it getting nasty.

I'd urge you to have a listen, It's great

http://www.offtheball.com/podcasts/Off_The_Ball/The_Off_The_Ball_Paper_Review/59211/Padraig_Harrington__Paul_Kimmage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

I've been a keen follower and fan of Paddy ever since he turned pro back in the 90's but to be honest i'd never really had the opportunity to listen to him speak at length on various topics. It was only ever say post tournament interviews or maybe bit of chat show appearances. Whenever people would talk about how engaging and candid he is, i'd always take it with a pinch of salt and maybe think its the blinkered fanboy view taking affect.

However, I listened to the podcast of the paper review and was really impressed with how he came across. Everything they say about him is true in terms of his engagement and honesty. once you get used to the accent (not that there's anything wrong with it but Gift Grub picked up on it for a reason!!) and focus instead on what he is saying, he really sucks you in and you can't stop listening.

I can imagine though that he could rub up people a bit the wrong way in how honest he is but as he said himself, he doesn't say things he cant stand over. The one thing that impressed me most was when he was talking about the tommy Fleetwood piece and how he said that most pros go through an 18 month golden period and then revert back to their average self. He was asked to give an example and without hesitation, he said himself. He talked about how he was a top ten (I think he peaked at 3 so was under selling himself as usual) when he won his 3 majors over that 18 month period but like others went back to his average self. I can't imagine any other high profile active sports person being so candid and honest about their own career like that. Only time people seem to be honest in their self appraisal is when their career is over and they're usual trying to sell books.....

Was a great listen and, though not a fan of kimmage, he also contributed to the quality and enjoyment.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Anyone know what his early season schedule looks like?

If anyone is only listening to him for the first time I'd implore you to listen to his interview with Jarlath O'Regan on the irishman abroad podcast.

Few years old at this stage but his 'tips for golf' are hilariously detailed. Thibk Jarlath was looking for a 1 line answer and Padraig speaks to the subject for 10+ minutes. It's absolutely brilliant stuff too imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

If anyone is only listening to him for the first time I'd implore you to listen to his interview with Jarlath O'Regan on the irishman abroad podcast.

Few years old at this stage but his 'tips for golf' are hilariously detailed. Thibk Jarlath was looking for a 1 line answer and Padraig speaks to the subject for 10+ minutes. It's absolutely brilliant stuff too imo.

Any links?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

benny79 wrote: »
    Any links?

http://bfy.tw/Fvyp :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Yes, super interview and would have listened for another two hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,841 ✭✭✭blackwhite

That he managed to make an hour and a half of Kimmage listenable is a testament to PH! :pac:

All joking aside, it was one of the best Sunday reviews I can remember from newstalk - was driving across the country on Sunday, and the trip just flew listening to it

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

The irishman abroad podcast needs a username and password. think it is archived maybe. any way around it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

The irishman abroad podcast needs a username and password. think it is archived maybe. any way around it?

Have you got a podcast app on your phone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

yeah downloaded podbean on my android and signed up via facebook on the app. every other podcast works fine except the irishman abroad one.

Advertisement