Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington - 3 Time Major Winner/Ryder Cup Captain/US Senior Open Champion 2022!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Great round for the Irish players, nice to see a bogey free round from padraig.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Timing his run perfectly for The Masters.

#IBelieve

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

He doen't seem to be getting close to the hole today (as per shot Tracker)

In this event you will fall back if not making birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,445 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

He doen't seem to be getting close to the hole today (as per shot Tracker)

In this event you will fall back if not making birds.
    :confused: 8 feet on the 1st, 10 on the 2nd, 16 on the 3rd, how much closer do you want him to be?!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

3 putt from 8 and a half feet on the Par 5 8th if shottracker is to be believed.....

That's a momentum killer. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 three putt

3 putt from 8 foot on the 8th, oh dear

Then hits it to about 5 feet on the next

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

fullstop wrote: »
    :confused: 8 feet on the 1st, 10 on the 2nd, 16 on the 3rd, how much closer do you want him to be?!

Places where he is making birdies.

The stats from them distances is not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 three putt

gone from being in contention to potentially missing the cut in the space of a few holes...

Places where he is making birdies.

The stats from them distances is not great.

That's places you make birdies from if you're putting in any way decent. That was first 3 holes, he hit to 8 feet on 8 and 3 putted, 6 feet on 9 so 4 birdie chances from inside 10 feet in 9 holes.

Gonna miss the cut either way now anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

.As everyone knows, it's the hope that kills ya...

.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Horrendous stuff from Padraig today.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

BoroMan32 wrote:
    Horrendous stuff from Padraig today.

Becoming too regular. Playing lovely stuff until missed the 2 foot putt yesterday then the wheels came off. He will be heading home now as no 4th round for him due to MDF

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Becoming too regular. Playing lovely stuff until missed the 2 foot putt yesterday then the wheels came off. He will be heading home now as no 4th round for him due to MDF

What does mdf stand for?
    I think I have some in my shed he can have :)

Seve OB wrote: »
    What does mdf stand for?

Think he has enough of it in fairness!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Seve OB wrote: »

What does mdf stand for?
    Made cut, did not finish. If more than 70 (I think) make the cut they have a second cut after round 3 to keep the field within TV coverage time.

But in PH's case it might also be what grows between his ears after two good rounds. Dropped 7 shots in 5 holes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Fairly sure it is 78 players. Cut line is top 70 and ties. But if there are more than 78 the excess are culled after the third round to 78 or below pending on ties.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

kiers47 wrote: »
    Fairly sure it is 78 players. Cut line is top 70 and ties. But if there are more than 78 the excess are culled after the third round to 78 or below pending on ties.

Yea think this is it alright

I would think he was glad to pack it in after that round, aw well, next time, Paul dunne and lowry are going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Has anyone ever noticed that when Paddy gets through a cut then there's a 3rd cut he almost always seems to miss that 3rd cut?? I dread seeing how many get through when Paddy scrapes in because you can almost guarantee he'll fall away. I've made the point before that Paddy rarely seems to make much progress in the 3rd round when he makes a cut and whereby normally this usually means he just fades down the field, when there's a 3rd round cut, seems to be the reason he always seems to fall foul of it instead of kicking on and pushing up the leaderboard. Very frustrating for him.

Very poor from Paddy so far this year....few glimmers but nothing seems to be happening.....at what point does he focus back to Europe? Put in a couple of decent tournaments towards the end of last year if I recall....at least he was somewhat competitive.....PGA tour doesn't seem to be happening for him......

Not a fan of Poulter but he seems to be back with a bang. Has been knocking on the door a few times since he came back into form. Kind of contrasts with Paddy's last win in America which was out of the blue and not on the back of a good run....Poulter has been pretty good for a while now and he's not that much younger than Paddy....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

kiers47 wrote: »

That's mostly right. Third round cut is also top 70 plus ties.

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever noticed that when Paddy gets through a cut then there's a 3rd cut he almost always seems to miss that 3rd cut?? I dread seeing how many get through when Paddy scrapes in because you can almost guarantee he'll fall away. I've made the point before that Paddy rarely seems to make much progress in the 3rd round when he makes a cut and whereby normally this usually means he just fades down the field, when there's a 3rd round cut, seems to be the reason he always seems to fall foul of it instead of kicking on and pushing up the leaderboard. Very frustrating for him.

Yeah I thought the same. Would love to see the stats but I think he must be one of the worst for MDF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭redarmy

The week started out on a high note but ended up on a disappointing one. My first round of 5 under par was a good solid round and I played very nicely. I had no bogies and it’s been a while since I have had a round without any. There was only one hole where I was out of position, the 6th, but I holed a good putt to save par. All in all I was very happy with how I played.
    On Friday I went feeling good and looking forward to moving myself up the leaderboard. It was a much tougher day than Thursday as the wind was blowing and the pins were tougher. I was going along nicely, 1 under for the day after 7 holes which I was happy with, especially as the 5th and 6th were playing tough. I got a good break on the 8th not to be in the water with my second and pitched it to 8 feet. I just missed the birdie putt but knocked it 2 feet by. I missed the 2 footer; I’m still not sure how but it knocked my confidence a bit. From there on it was a struggle. I made a couple of birdies but then threw away a few shots. I never really settled after missing the putt and in the end I had to par the last to finish on 4 under which I thought was the cut. I played the hole well when I had to and made a par, which ended up making the cut with a shot to spare.
    As a result of the cut going to three under it meant that 90 guys made it to the weekend and so there was another cut on Saturday after three rounds. I was still unsettled after the my round on Friday and never got going on Saturday. I was 1 over after 9 holes, having made a bogey on the 12th (my 3rd hole) after driving in the water and parring the rest. Whilst I birdied my 11th hole to get back to level for the day, I knew I was around the cut mark and it probably affected me. It’s one of those things, when you are near the cut mark it is hard to get away from it.
    My last five holes were a nightmare. I three putted the 5th and started a terrible run. I took double on the 6th and then three putted the 7th and 9th, with a double on the 8th. I got in a spin and couldn’t stop it.
    The only good thing that happened to me on Saturday was that I was able to get a flight home. I left there gutted as I had started the week so well and was feeling good about things. After 7 holes on Friday I was thinking about getting myself in amongst the leaders and then all of a sudden it was like someone burst my balloon.
    I’m home now and have three weeks off. I’ll take a few days off and go away for a few days with Caroline and the kids. Then I’ll be back at it, making sure to get myself out on the course and not to be bashing balls.
    For now, I’m disappointed with my performance last week. However I know there were a lot of positives and I could see the benefits of my work from the previous week.
    Talk soon,
    Padraig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭redarmy

I have been off for three weeks and have really enjoyed it, but now I am back in the US for the Zurich Classic of New Orleans. This week is an unusual one on tour as it is a team event. Shane and myself are playing together this week and I have to say that I’m looking forward to it. It will be a nice change from the normal tournaments we play, with the format being two days of fourball and then two days of foresomes.
    I really like the idea of the team event. Mixing things up from the normal 72 hole strokeplay is a good thing as far as I am concerned. I like the fact that it takes the emphasis away from ourselves and makes us think about our teammate and also about how we should play the course in the foresomes. Shane and myself have played a lot together over the last few years but not in team event like this. Our games aren’t too dissimilar in that we are both aggressive and not too worried if we miss a green or two.
    I’ve been practicing hard over the last few weeks. Normally my practice is in my back garden but over the last three weeks I’ve been to the K Club and done some good practice on the course. I get so much feedback when I practice on a course that I just keep asking myself why I don’t do it more often as it is so much better for me than standing on a range beating balls. In my three weeks off I have actually played more courses than normal. I’ve been to the K Club a good few times, I was in Japan for a couple of days playing a pro-am and then I had the opening of Adare Manor.
    I’ve also spent a good bit of time testing balls as well as a new driver head as I broke my old one. I was gutted when I broke the driver as it was a really good one that has been going nicely for me.
    On Tuesday we played nine holes and then on Wednesday we played the pro-am, which was a Scotch Foursomes format, as we would call it at home, or sometimes known as Greensomes. It was fun to play as we never really get to play it and whilst it wasn’t the format we will play during the tournament, it was still good to get us into the right frame of mind.
    We are both really looking forward to playing this week and it will be great craic playing with Shane in this format. On Thursday we start with fourballs and then on Friday it is foursomes. It’s hard to say how it will go as we have both been off for three weeks and in team golf you never really know what to expect. One thing I know is that if we can enjoy ourselves then we have a great chance of doing well.
    Talk soon,
    Padraig.

They're off to a good start. -9 for the first round, 3 shots off the pace and in tied 9th

Rikand wrote: »
    They're off to a good start. -9 for the first round, 3 shots off the pace and in tied 9th

The dreaded foursomes today though :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

The dreaded foursomes today though :eek:

Should suit them as much as anyone ahead of them.

25/1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭paulos53

Just had a treble bogey on the 17th while lying in 10th place. Now they might need a birdie on the last to make the cut

They made the cut but are sitting dead last of those who did...

Standard fare

• Advertisement

Good first 9 holes, hopefully it will continue

Advertisement