Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington - 3 Time Major Winner/Ryder Cup Captain/US Senior Open Champion 2022!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,445 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

fullstop wrote: »
    MDF.

Dead last of those who made the cut. Not far wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

fullstop wrote: »
    Dead last of those who made the cut. Not far wrong.

Very disappointing after starting so well. His score over the weekend was five shots worse than the next highest score.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Very disappointing after a very positive 1st round. I've commented on this before but the amount of times Paddy makes a cut only to drop down the leaderboard on moving day is bizzare. I would be very interested to see an analysis of his cuts made (would be that hard since its not that many in the last few years unfortunately) to see what percentage of 3rd rounds result in him climbing the leaderboard. I'd guess the ratio would be very heavily in favour of him dropping. What's more frustrating is that even when he does have a disappointing 3rd round and doesn't kick on after making the cut, he rarely seems to end tournaments on a high by going well on the Sunday either...….

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    Very disappointing after a very positive 1st round. I've commented on this before but the amount of times Paddy makes a cut only to drop down the leaderboard on moving day is bizzare. I would be very interested to see an analysis of his cuts made (would be that hard since its not that many in the last few years unfortunately) to see what percentage of 3rd rounds result in him climbing the leaderboard. I'd guess the ratio would be very heavily in favour of him dropping. What's more frustrating is that even when he does have a disappointing 3rd round and doesn't kick on after making the cut, he rarely seems to end tournaments on a high by going well on the Sunday either...….

These are his stats for this season.

ROUND 1 SCORING AVERAGE 71.09 108TH
    ROUND 2 SCORING AVERAGE 72.36 191ST
    ROUND 3 SCORING AVERAGE 73.50 204TH
    ROUND 4 SCORING AVERAGE 71.25 123RD

He's played 11 times, missed 5 cuts and had 2 MDFs.

abff wrote: »

These are his stats for this season.

ROUND 1 SCORING AVERAGE 71.09 108TH
    ROUND 2 SCORING AVERAGE 72.36 191ST
    ROUND 3 SCORING AVERAGE 73.50 204TH
    ROUND 4 SCORING AVERAGE 71.25 123RD

He's played 11 times, missed 5 cuts and had 2 MDFs.
    Interesting stats but what i'd like to see is for the cuts he has made, his average position after rounds 2, 3 and 4...….that to me would be quite telling....for example, the stats above include obviously the missed cuts and there have been a few whereby he's missed them by quite a bit which would distort his positional stat for the cuts he has made. There's definitely been more than last weekend whereby he's made the cut in mid field (of the remaining field) only to fall away. That to me is the most depressing aspect of his game at the moment, his inability to gain any kind of momentum over a tournament.....its almost like he takes the foot off the gas once he makes the cut....obviously that's not what's happening as there's no doubt he's giving it his all. But there's something just not right at the moment, more so now that even in the last couple of years....there are very few positive signs this year so far apart from the odd decent round here and there....in previous years there'd usually be at least one tournament where he has competed well, but nothing so far this year.....

• Advertisement

Interesting stats but what i'd like to see is for the cuts he has made, his average position after rounds 2, 3 and 4...….that to me would be quite telling....for example, the stats above include obviously the missed cuts and there have been a few whereby he's missed them by quite a bit which would distort his positional stat for the cuts he has made.

OK, I went back and had a look at his scoring in those tournaments where he made the cut. My previous analysis was wrong in that I treated the Pebble Beach pro-am as an MDF, whereas in fact it was a missed cut.

Therefore his stats are played 11, missed 6 cuts and had one MDF. His average score per round in the 5 tournaments where he made the cut were as follows:

Round 1 68.60
    Round 2 70.80
    Round 3 74.00
    Round 4 71.25

Certainly supports the theory that round 3 is where he has the biggest problem.

abff wrote: »
    Interesting stats but what i'd like to see is for the cuts he has made, his average position after rounds 2, 3 and 4...….that to me would be quite telling....for example, the stats above include obviously the missed cuts and there have been a few whereby he's missed them by quite a bit which would distort his positional stat for the cuts he has made.

OK, I went back and had a look at his scoring in those tournaments where we made the cut.  My previous analysis was wrong in that I treated the Pebble Beach pro-am as an MDF, whereas in fact it was a missed cut.

Therefore his stats are played 11, missed 6 cuts and had one MDF.  His average score per round in the 5 tournaments where he made the cut were as follows:

Round 1 68.60
    Round 2 70.80
    Round 3 74.00
    Round 4 71.25

Certainly supports the theory that round 3 is where he has the biggest problem.
    Yes it certainly does but putting my nerd stats hat on me, it wouldn't be conclusive unless you had the field average to bench mark against. For example, if the average for round 3 was 73.4 then it would suggest he's not too far off the pace because everyone else is struggling too maybe because of a tougher course set up on moving day in general.....unlikely to be the case though.... for me, I'd want to see his average position rather than average score as this would be the real performance indicator relative to his peers....

Yes it certainly does but putting my nerd stats hat on me, it wouldn't be conclusive unless you had the field average to bench mark against. For example, if the average for round 3 was 73.4 then it would suggest he's not too far off the pace because everyone else is struggling too maybe because of a tougher course set up on moving day in general.....unlikely to be the case though.... for me, I'd want to see his average position rather than average score as this would be the real performance indicator relative to his peers....

All the information is probably there online if you want to go back and analyse the data for each tournament. But I don't think there's likely to be that big a difference in course setup and PGA courses don't tend to be as sensitive to changes in weather conditions as links type courses. Anyway, any data based on only 5 tournaments where he made the cut is sure to include a large element of random error.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

He's finished.

There, I said it. Come out and win The Open now Padraig like a good man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    He's finished.

There, I said it. Come out and win The Open now Padraig like a good man.

He could well be finished winning events, his mindset has clearly changed even when you hear him interviewed but F me if he is finished what a career.

Best sportsman this country has produced.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

AGC wrote: »
    He could well be finished winning events

We thought that 2 years ago as well!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭golfguy1

Best sportsman this country has produced.[/quote]

REALLY??
    Must be joking me he had a 2 -3 yr spell among the world's best.
    Before and after have been average at best

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

golfguy1 wrote: »
    Best sportsman this country has produced.

REALLY??
    Before and after have been average at best[/QUOTE]

Man, just look at the heights he got to in his sport.

Man, just look at the heights he got to in his sport.[/quote]

I understand the heights he reached. But Ireland's greatest sportsman was said earlier, seems a bit of a stretch to class him as Ireland's greatest sportsman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

REALLY??
    Before and after have been average at best

You must be on the wind-up. Average at best???? He qualified from Q school and went straight out on tour and won on his tenth start after making the previous 9 cuts and even contended in some of those. Finished his debut season in the ET top 10, I believe. Average start?

Seven times finishing in the top 3 of the ET OOM including a win in 2006, ET stroke average leader in 2002, multiple PGA tour winner, World Cup winner, beat Tiger down the stretch in tournaments twice, spent most of the 00s in the worlds top ten.

Then there’s the 3 majors. In modern era, only 3 Europeans have won more.

All very average at best stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

I understand the heights he reached. But Ireland's greatest sportsman was said earlier, seems a bit of a stretch to class him as Ireland's greatest sportsman

Name a better one?

Prolonged career, 3 majors, PGA Tour wins, European Tour wins, €44 million in prize money, multiple Ryder Cups, made this career when a knowledged as not the most talented, great ambassador for the sport and country.

All on the world stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

Name a better one?

Prolonged career, 3 majors, PGA Tour wins, European Tour wins, €44 million in prize money, multiple Ryder Cups, made this career when a knowledged as not the most talented, great ambassador for the sport and country.

All on the world stage.

I agree. One possible contender as Ireland's best ever sports person is Sonia O'Sullivan (world champion, world cross country champion x 2, European champion and Olympic silver) while probably robbed of more by dopers.

Name a better one?

All on the world stage.

He is not even Ireland's best golfer.
    Rory has more majors already and he has another 20yrs to go while also has been number 1 on the world.
    He did brilliant for his natural talent and certainly is a great ambassador but just can't agree with best sportsman

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

Rory has more majors already and he has another 20yrs to go while also has been number 1 on the world.
    He did brilliant for his natural talent and certainly is a great ambassador but just can't agree with best sportsman

Name someone better? The fact is, everyone any one of us names can be shot down. I would be hard pushed to find someone who has achieved more on a global stage in Irish sport.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I think why most people don't regard Padraig as the best sports person Ireland has produced is that he was at his peak when golf wasn't as readily available to everyone as it is now.
    I had to watch repeats and you tube videos of his major victories while now with the coverage available through the PGA / European tour websites and Sky, you even get to see pro's playing practice rounds and warming up on the range before an event.

We never had this before.

• Advertisement

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Depends on how you look at Rory i.e whether you think he's Irish or British but in my mind I think he is the greatest Irish sportstar ever and still very young...

Totally agree
    Rory has achieved more already than padraig ever did.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭jj72

Totally agree

While I think in 20 years time that rory will have had a greater career than PH, as it stands Harringtons has been much more successful. Ok Rory has one more major. But that's it. Theres no chance Rory would ever have reached number 1 in the world if he played during the same era that Harrington played. Harringtons ET wins, OOM records all exceed Rory. His consistency is far greater than Rory. All this without mentioning his Ryder Cup record!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Totally agree

Back pedal much.

I think it's fair to say that Rory's nationality is bit of a grey area/hot potato. Care to name anyone else better than "average Padraig"?

jj72 wrote: »
    While I think in 20 years time that rory will have had a greater career than PH, as it stands Harringtons has been much more successful. Ok Rory has one more major. But that's it. Theres no chance Rory would ever have reached number 1 in the world if he played during the same era that Harrington played. Harringtons ET wins, OOM records all exceed Rory. His consistency is far greater than Rory. All this without mentioning his Ryder Cup record!!

Rory plays more in the states than European tour events so can't compare oom records or et wins.
    Different eras are always difficult to compare.
    Harrington had a great career bit imo can't be Ireland's greatest sportsperson

Rory plays more in the states than European tour events so can't compare oom records or et wins.
    Different eras are always difficult to compare.
    Harrington had a great career bit imo can't be Ireland's greatest sportsperson

You just said yourself that Rory has achieved more than Harrington... And now your saying you cant compare them because it doesn't suit your argument.. Make up your mind

You just said yourself that Rory has achieved more than Harrington... And now your saying you cant compare them because it doesn't suit your argument.. Make up your mind

Read my post correctly please.
    I said DIFFICULT TO COMPARE.
    Not can't compare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Not to dismiss anything else you've said, but McIlroy has already won more points in the Ryder Cup, and has a higher points per match than Padraig.

Padraig has played in more, but his record is less than 0.5 per match (round). This is mostly due to a poor tail of his Ryder Cup career, scoring 3.5 points from his last 14 matches played.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Right now Rory's better, earlier Padraig was better, before that Jack. Also Tyson in round 1 or 2 with an early onslaught. Separately batman wouldn't have a hope cause he's not super, just a spoiled ninja with a nice car if you ask me.

ligerdub wrote: »
    Not to dismiss anything else you've said, but McIlroy has already won more points in the Ryder Cup, and has a higher points per match than Padraig.

Padraig has played in more, but his record is less than 0.5 per match (round). This is mostly due to a poor tail of his Ryder Cup career, scoring 3.5 points from his last 14 matches played.

Ah ya but sure hasn't he had Harrington guiding him as a vice captain all the way :D:D

• Advertisement

Adiaga 2 wrote: »
    I’m pretty sure Rory has a British passort. Maybe he has both. Either way, I’m not saying Padraig has had more success than Rory.

So, apart from Rory, who else would you have ahead of Padraig?

As an earlier poster said probably Sonia O'Sullivan. But it is very difficult to pick
    Roy Keane Henry shefflin Tony McCoy ruby Walsh are just some of our best sportspeople that anyone could argue has had the greatest career

Advertisement