Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington - 3 Time Major Winner/Ryder Cup Captain/US Senior Open Champion 2022!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

I'd definitely rate PH as the sports person I most like to hear interviewed .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

golfguy1 wrote: »
    He is not even Ireland's best golfer.
    Rory has more majors already and he has another 20yrs to go while also has been number 1 on the world.
    He did brilliant for his natural talent and certainly is a great ambassador but just can't agree with best sportsman

Although having 1 more major Rory has underachieved for the undoubted talent he has. Harrington massively overachieved for the talent he had.

I would agree with most that in years to come Rory will be regarded as ‘Ireland’s greatest’ be that golfer or sportsperson but at the moment he isn’t IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Looks like my last post was deleted when it could so easily have been edited. No mod message either. Nice work guys.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Adiaga 2 wrote: »
    Looks like my last post was deleted when it could so easily have been edited. No mod message either. Nice work guys.

The post was unapproved, as per the charter - discussing a players nationality is forbidden. any post which mentioned nationality / passport etc was unapproved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

Ireland's greatest sportsperson is always going to be a matter of opinion, not of fact. For me, Padraig is my favourite Irish sportsperson, but I accept that other people have different opinions and they are entitled to be wrong!

Joking aside, I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Brian O'Driscoll yet. He's the only sportsperson who comes close to Padraig in my opinion, although I accept that Sonia O'Sullivan deserves an honourable mention.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

abff wrote: »
    Ireland's greatest sportsperson is always going to be a matter of opinion, not of fact. For me, Padraig is my favourite Irish sportsperson, but I accept that other people have different opinions and they are entitled to be wrong!

Joking aside, I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Brian O'Driscoll yet. He's the only sportsperson who comes close to Padraig in my opinion, although I accept that Sonia O'Sullivan deserves an honourable mention.

As a rugby fan I love O’Driscoll and O’Connell but it is very much a minority sport with 10/12 competitive countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

I think sean kelly was 6 years as no 1 cyclist in the world. That's in a sport that would have far more people in it than rugby.

In my opinion, you could make a case for a dozen or so athletes to be Ireland's greatest. I'd certainly include Brian o'driscoll in that. Oddly though, I'd find it hard to include padraig in that list. He's probably my favourite and I'd be happy for people to rank him above everyone except rory mcilroy. But rory mcilroy is a direct conparison to padgraig and his stats are just better. He has more majors, which is the measure of guys at their level. But also he's been world no 1 for the most number of weeks since tiger I'd guess, has a heap of pga wins too. He's been the best in his sport for the last decade. Not many irish people can say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

I agree but Sexton has achieved far more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

blue note wrote: »
    I think sean kelly was 6 years as no 1 cyclist in the world. That's in a sport that would have far more people in it than rugby.

There are serious question marks over Sean Kelly and the whole of anyone at the top of cycling for the past 40-50years. He also failed 2 tests.

Tbh i dont think he deserves to be anywhere near this conversation considering.

kiers47 wrote: »
    There are serious question marks over Sean Kelly and the whole of anyone at the top of cycling for the past 40-50years. He also failed 2 tests.

Tbh i dont think he deserves to be anywhere near this conversation considering.

I'd have doubts about a huge amount of to level athletes. And some, like the cyclists and Michelle smith I wouldn't even call them doubts. But I reckon top level sport is so dirty I have mixed feelings about disregarding people for doing, when you can be sure half the people you're including are doping either with illegal peds or through abuse of a tue.

I'd be shocked if Harrington was taking anything unethical though. If ever someone didn't seem like the type it's him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

kiers47 wrote: »
    There are serious question marks over Sean Kelly

Kelly's alright with me. He failed a test with codeine, he claimed it got in his system from a cough medicine. Asked pharmacist for something that he could take during competition and phmacist said X product was fine. Codeine not a performance enhancer. I think it was generally accepted that he was never a cheat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Kelly's alright with me. He failed a test with codeine, he claimed it got in his system from a cough medicine. Asked pharmacist for something that he could take during competition and phmacist said X product was fine. Codeine not a performance enhancer. I think it was generally accepted that he was never a cheat.

Any of the whistleblowers that emerged from the sport in the past would pretty much question any credibility any of the top end of the sport had.

He also mentions in the past some sort of code that Kimmage broke when talking of his book. Like he is outing some sort of behavior that the world shouldn't know about.

While Codeine doesn't directly affect performance it is a painkiller and can provide relief. In the tough test of a tour it is going to give you an edge over your competitors if your not feeling the same pain.
    It is all very convenient to blame pharmacists.

Also noticed that you didnt mention his other failed test. The other was for a different drug. Cant think of the name off the top of my head but the excuse for that was he had taken it to keep him awake before a long drive.
    Now tbh i have no experience of training at that level but it seems to me in ever hearing these stories that surely you question every single thing you put in your body as an absolute religion. These flaky excuses are tiring.

If anyone thinks soccer, rugby, tennis, athletics, etc aren't riddled with drugs as well they're utterly delusional. Even golf - I think they only brought in testing in 2006 or something like that. Someone could have used steroids for increased strength and calming drugs to help with their nerves during rounds and had zero worries about detection. If someone thinks that no golfers were taking advantage of this they are extremely naïve.

Serena Williams is a good example of a questionable sports star. She locked herself in her panic room on one occasion when the testers knocked on her door. She was using the same substance that Sharapova was banned for using (before it was prohibited). She was using this legally under a TUE. But when the Sharapova story broke it was hilarious that this particular drug was a rarely used one for a short period of time to treat heart conditions. And her excuse for using it over a number of years was that her family had a diabetes history. Hmmmm. And yet she's hailed as one of the greatest sports stars of all time.

Anyway, we're getting off topic. Paddy is great!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,488 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

6 years at number one in the world in a sport absolutely riddled with drugs. Hmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Nice round from Padraig today, a 68. Hopefully he can keep it up for the next 3 days!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

well done you just jinxed him! you not read the charter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

When Padraig is going well sssshhH dont say a word.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

no more talking

I think it's safe to assume now that he'll push on from here and see this tournament out and go on to reclaim his Open title. I think it's unrealistic to expect him to win the PGA as well, that's probably a 50/50.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Best sportsman Ireland has ever produced? Maybe, but not IMO. He was up there with the best in the world and is most certainly a contender, but he was never a world beater day in and day out like some of the other stars mentioned here.

As for others winning more. Well being a true sportsman is not always about winning all the time. It's about how you loose also. It is about how you conduct yourself on and off the field of play. It is about how you treat and respect your peers and other people. It's about your drive and ambition. It's about more than winning.

Ask yourself this. How many times have you heard of someone being a "good sport" for being pranked or ridiculed for a laugh or got up and sang a song or whatever.... Plenty I bet. It's all related.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Seve OB wrote: »
    Ask yourself this. How many times have you heard of someone being a "good sport" for being pranked or ridiculed for a laugh or got up and sang a song or whatever.... Plenty I bet. It's all related.

Being "A good sport" is totally different from and unrelated to being "a good sportsman".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

GreeBo wrote: »
    Being "A good sport" is totally different from and unrelated to being "a good sportsman".

I agree to an extent, but to be a really good all round sportsman, you also need to be a good sport. I would class Harry in this category. Others I wouldn't

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Nice round from Padraig today, a 68. Hopefully he can keep it up for the next 3 days!

It's the hope that kills ya

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

Haven’t seen any of him today but I guess the breaks he got yesterday and bounced on from that hasn’t happened today and going backwards.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see a bookie coming out with some comment back at him after his comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

God that was just awful on the last.
    Disaster of a round and missed cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,445 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

God that was just awful on the last.
    Disaster of a round and missed cut.

What he was thinking with that second shot I'll never know. And to be so fat left off the tee was horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

That is some achievement to miss a cut from there.

Perfect conditions on an easy enough links.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,445 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

That is some achievement to miss a cut from there.

Perfect conditions on an easy enough links.

Easy enough links?!! Have you looked at the leaderboard? It's far from easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

fullstop wrote: »

Yes :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

fullstop wrote: »
    Yeah, the course itself isn't too challenging, the fairways are receptive enough and you're only really in trouble if you go off line. But the greens are so deceptive. Even six footers are fooling the pros.

Advertisement