Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington - 3 Time Major Winner/Ryder Cup Captain/US Senior Open Champion 2022!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,495 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Yes :confused:

-8 is leading and the cut is over par. The course in the US this week must be a joke altogether by your reckoning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,948 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

fullstop wrote: »
    -8 is leading and the cut is over par. The course in the US this week must be a joke altogether by your reckoning.

Look I don't know what your are getting at.

But it is more the conditions for Links golf.

If wind was up and a bit of rain as you would expect it would be a real links test.

Irish links course do not hold up that well if still.

If weather stays as is. going to be what -12 / -13 winner.

As conditions go and courses go. It looks on easier side. The guys out there don't play much links golf. It is going to be a low scoring winner because of weather.

Not records - but low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

If wind was up and a bit of rain as you would expect it would be a real links test.

As conditions go and courses go. It looks on easier side. The guys out there don't play much links golf. It is going to be a low scoring winner because of weather.

Not records - but low.
    Links courses test you in any weather. Remember Carnoustie when it was baked? It's a different challenge, but it's still a challenge and it's still links golf. Sayng otherwise is nonsense.

Not records - but low.

I'm getting at the fact that it's not an easy course. The weather is as easy as it gets for links golf and -8 is leading after 2 rounds. And that's basically playing the 4th as a par 4 - they have another 150 yards to go back for the weekend.

It was a lot windier last year and wet and the winning score was -24.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Not records - but low.

If it was an easy enough links scoring would be a lot lower than it is.

Ballyliffin has a lot more defence than just needing a bit of bad weather. The course is holding up brilliantly to the perfect conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,237 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

AGC wrote: »
    If it was an easy enough links scoring would be a lot lower than it is.

Ballyliffin has a lot more defence than just needing a bit of bad weather. The course is holding up brilliantly to the perfect conditions.

Something the USGA could only dream of!

GreeBo wrote: »

Exactly. If they tricked the place out and let it bake for the last few days over par may be leading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

GreeBo wrote: »
    Yeah. Can't believe their only option seems to be to polish the greens like glass. Or grow the rough to waist height.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭redarmy

It was another poor week I’m afraid. I wasn’t happy with how I was hitting it when I got to Gullane. However Pete and I got some good work done and we managed to figure out a way to get me ddoing what I needed to do without thinking about it. However I wasn’t quite able to trust it on the course. I could see improvement on the range and I hit some lovely shots on the course, but there were plenty where I just wasn’t sure what was going to come out. The disappointing thing about missing the cut is that a couple more days on the course would have helped a lot with trusting it.
    The only benefit of missing the cut is that I got up to Carnoustie early. I played 18 holes on Saturday and then 14 holes on Sunday. I have to say it was great to get out and see the course when it was quiet and I was surprised at how different a course it is to the way we normally play it. It is so firm at the moment that it is like playing a totally different course.
    As it was dddI got to hit a few shots on holes that I wanted to and spent some time around the greens. I did some practice on the range as well which has helped and I could see a big improvement on the course on Sunday.
    It was disappointing not to be involved in the Scottish Open over the weekend but the upside was that I got to play Carnoustie!
    Talk soon,
    Padraig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭benny79

Downside is.. Everyone lost money because you said you have a great chance and the bookies dont usually get it wrong but 66/1 is a great price! :rolleyes:

News flash padraig me auld flower bookies were right! :mad: :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

benny79 wrote: »
    Downside is.. Everyone lost money because you said you have a great chance and the bookies dont usually get it wrong but 66/1 is a great price! :rolleyes:

News flash padraig me auld flower bookies were right! :mad: :D

I mean in theory the bookies could be wrong and also come out the right side of the result.
    So its possible Padraig was actually right on that one. However id be leaning towards the bookies on this occasion.
    :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭benny79

Yea.. petty I didn't use my head instead of my heart! wouldn't mind think thats the second time he said something similar before and second time I went then and backed him! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,377 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Crikey that's a tough one.

Was probably for a par as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Crikey that's a tough one.

Was probably for a par as well.

Was for a birdie. Or that's what the commentator said on the video anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

kiers47 wrote: »
    Was for a birdie. Or that's what the commentator said on the video anyway.

Apologies, didn't have the sound on when i watched it!!

This is the last week of the regular season on the PGA tour and we are in Greensboro, North Carolina for the Wyndham Championship. I’m coming into this week in my worst ever position on the Fed Ex Cup of 220th, which means that for me to progress to the Play-offs there is only one scenario, a win.
    I’ve played here a number of times, generally trying to get into the Play-offs or to improve my position, but in all the years coming here I haven’t had much success on the course. I have found it quite tough as it is very much a fairways and greens course, something that my game hasn’t been suited to. I’m coming into this week in theory with no form as my Fed Ex ranking suggests, however I am feeling good about my game and the best I have felt for a long time. Even though I missed the cut last week it wasn’t my long game that let me down, as I played very well from tee to green, but I putted terribly. With this in mind I have spent most of my time on the practice green hitting putts and working on some drills.
    I’ve played 29 holes in practice this week and I am very happy with how I have struck the ball. The good signs I saw last week have continued and if I can hole a few putts then I feel I can get myself into the business end of the tournament.
    The course hasn’t changed over the years and, as usual, is in good condition. As I mentioned, the key to playing well here is to hit fairways and greens, especially as its impossible to control the ball coming out of the rough. There is also a lot of out of bounds, in fact nearly every hole has OB on it, so with all these factors it is definitely better to be more conservative from the tee.
    I’m looking forward to getting out and competing. After missing the cut last week I am itching to get going especially after hitting the ball so well. I’m out late on Thursday and early on Friday with Peter Malinati and Nick Watney.
    Talk soon,
    Padraig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Just read Paddy's tour diary (https://www.facebook.com/notes/padraig-harrington/tour-diary-wyndham-championship-review/10156743421113573/) for this week and he states that he will use his "all time Career Money exemption" next year. I hadn't heard of that exemption and apparently you can only use it once for one year but seems like he hasn't lost his PGA Tour card after all... yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭abff

HighLine wrote: »
    Just read Paddy's tour diary (https://www.facebook.com/notes/padraig-harrington/tour-diary-wyndham-championship-review/10156743421113573/) for this week and he states that he will use his "all time Career Money exemption" next year. I hadn't heard of that exemption and apparently you can only use it once for one year but seems like he hasn't lost his PGA Tour card after all... yet.

He's currently 47th in career earnings, with the top 50 able to claim a one year exemption. Justin Thomas is 48th and will definitely pass him before season end and Patrick Reed, JB Holmes, Ryan Palmer and Ian Poulter are ranked 53rd to 56th and are all in the playoffs.

So it could be a nervous wait for Padraig to see if he's going to stay in the top 50 and be able to avail of the exemption.

abff wrote: »
    He's currently 47th in career earnings, with the top 50 able to claim a one year exemption. Justin Thomas is 48th and will definitely pass him before season end and Patrick Reed, JB Holmes, Ryan Palmer and Ian Poulter are ranked 53rd to 56th and are all in the playoffs.

So it could be a nervous wait for Padraig to see if he's going to stay in the top 50 and be able to avail of the exemption.

Sorry, just noticed that Pat Perez in 49th is also in the playoffs and he's less than $400k behind Padraig in career earnings.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Reed is a big threat at $1.2m back, I think Leishman $2m back is probably a sneaky threat but if someone does a Horshel on it then who knows.

So now he's 47, JT will push him to 48 and Reed likely to push him to 49.
    Looks like he'll have to phone up Power to get a bit of a rub of luck off him...

https://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.110.html

My worst ever season on the PGA Tour has come to an end. Unfortunately it ended a couple of days too early as I missed another cut. Whilst my putting held me back again, I played some nice stuff over the two days. Not quite as well as I did the previous week at the PGA, but similarly I was down around 145th in the Strokes Gained putting statistic.
    I put a lot of time into my putting last week, including over the weekend. I know that one thing that will turn it around is more time putting on the practice green. It is quite frustrating as my long game is in good shape now and if I had putted half decent over the last two weeks I would have had a couple of solid tournaments. The bad shots that I hit both weeks actually came about because I wasn’t holing putts and so was under pressure to try and hit great shots. When the putts are going in, average shots are good enough. What a frustrating game this is!
    I stayed around and practiced over the weekend and followed the PGA Tour app to see how Seamus Power was getting on. It was a roller coaster ride all weekend for him - he was inside the top-125 cut off for the Play Offs one minute, then out the next. I’m delighted for him that he finished inside the 125 as it makes next season much easier as he can pick and choose where he wants to play. For me, I will use my all time Career Money exemption next year, which eases the disappointment of my season a little bit. It was disappointment for Shane and Graeme too, as they both ended losing their cards as well.
    My PGA Tour season is over but I have a long way to go before my European Tour season is finished. I have to put the disappointment of my year to date behind me and get back at it in Europe, so I’m off to the Czech Masters this week. After the last two weeks putting display I must have a huge store of good putts waiting to come out!
    Talk soon,
    Padraig.

What a super simple but totally engrossing short prose, Paddy you legend, not sure how many other guys that miss the cut would hang around for the weekend to practice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

redarmy wrote: »
    My worst ever season on the PGA Tour has come to an end. Unfortunately it ended a couple of days too early as I missed another cut. Whilst my putting held me back again, I played some nice stuff over the two days. Not quite as well as I did the previous week at the PGA, but similarly I was down around 145th in the Strokes Gained putting statistic.
    I put a lot of time into my putting last week, including over the weekend. I know that one thing that will turn it around is more time putting on the practice green. It is quite frustrating as my long game is in good shape now and if I had putted half decent over the last two weeks I would have had a couple of solid tournaments. The bad shots that I hit both weeks actually came about because I wasn’t holing putts and so was under pressure to try and hit great shots. When the putts are going in, average shots are good enough. What a frustrating game this is!
    I stayed around and practiced over the weekend and followed the PGA Tour app to see how Seamus Power was getting on. It was a roller coaster ride all weekend for him - he was inside the top-125 cut off for the Play Offs one minute, then out the next. I’m delighted for him that he finished inside the 125 as it makes next season much easier as he can pick and choose where he wants to play. For me, I will use my all time Career Money exemption next year, which eases the disappointment of my season a little bit. It was disappointment for Shane and Graeme too, as they both ended losing their cards as well.
    My PGA Tour season is over but I have a long way to go before my European Tour season is finished. I have to put the disappointment of my year to date behind me and get back at it in Europe, so I’m off to the Czech Masters this week. After the last two weeks putting display I must have a huge store of good putts waiting to come out!
    Talk soon,
    Padraig.

Is this really Padraig Harrington posting this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Is this really Padraig Harrington posting this?

Yes, it's posted on his social media channels. Probably not a good idea for poster above to copy and paste like that. Rather a source link.

The career earnings category is actually quite high in the priority ranking and should allow Padraig to play in prettty much whatever regular tournaments he pleases. https://www.pgatour.com/news/2018/2017-2018-pga-tour-priority-ranking.html

This, of course, assumes that the rules remain the same for the 2018/2019 season and that he remains in the top 50 at season end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

slave1 wrote: »
    Not going to complain, -6 for the day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭blackwhite

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Not going to complain, -6 for the day!

Which means +3 tomorrow is almost certain :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭paulos53

The European Tour website shows on Eagle 2 for Padraig on the 449 yard 14th hole (his 5th hole of the day) to join the lead.
    His last shot before a suspension of play due to threat of lightning

Advertisement