Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington - 3 Time Major Winner/Ryder Cup Captain/US Senior Open Champion 2022!

Options

Comments

Old diesel wrote: »
    Still though - 47 years of age and STILL in contention with 4 holes to go on Sunday in a birdie fest of a European tour event.

Inspirational

Oh absolutely, I meant more so he didn't "lose the tournament", it was absolutely won by Pavan with some pretty special golf.

Hopefully Padraig can build on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Looking forward to his weekly blog post

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

coylemj wrote: »
    It won't make a huge difference to his world ranking as the strength of field in the Czech Masters wasn't very high with no players ranked in the top 50 and just three ranked between 51 and 100...... Eddie Pepperell (59), Thomas Pieters (60) and Matt Wallace (76).

The comparatively weak field in the Czech Masters was reflected in the fact that the tournament had to fall back on the minimum OWGR points allocation for a European Tour event so Andrea Pavan got 24 points for 1st and PH got 14 for 2nd. In contrast, Bryson DeChambeau picked up 76 points for winning the Northern Trust and jumped from 21st to 12th in the rankings.

PH's world ranking has jumped to 217 from 346.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

It won't make a huge difference to his world ranking as the strength of field in the Czech Masters wasn't very high with no players ranked in the top 50 and just three ranked between 51 and 100...... Eddie Pepperell (59), Thomas Pieters (60) and Matt Wallace (76).

The comparatively weak field in the Czech Masters was reflected in the fact that the tournament had to fall back on the minimum OWGR points allocation for a European Tour event so Andrea Pavan got 24 points for 1st and PH got 14 for 2nd. In contrast, Bryson DeChambeau picked up 76 points for winning the Northern Trust and jumped from 21st to 12th in the rankings.

PH's world ranking has jumped to 217 from 346.

That world ranking is still a nice jump.

Puts him in a better position if he has another good week in the near future.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Pavan did very well to get 24pts, just 3 of the worlds top 100 is a very weak field

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

slave1 wrote: »
    Pavan did very well to get 24pts, just 3 of the worlds top 100 is a very weak field

+1 without the guaranteed points (PGA and European Tour events are minimum 24 OWGR points to the winner) , the strength of field (38) would have yielded 14 points to the winner and 8.4 for second place.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Beaulieu

Beaulieu wrote: »
    Who was on the bag today for Podge? Father in law?

Podge on OTB tonight -Gerry Byrne on the bag. Ronan is on hols.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Beaulieu wrote: »
    Podge on OTB tonight -Gerry Byrne on the bag. Ronan is on hols.

Was honest and entertaining as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭redarmy

It was a nice return to the European Tour last week which so nearly resulted in a victory, but it wasn’t to be.

The decision to play the Czech Masters was a late one but I’m glad I did as it was great to be in contention again. My regular caddie, Ronan Flood, had already planned a family vacation, so I used the services of the experienced Gerry Byrne.

I arrived in Prague from New York on Tuesday and went straight into a press conference, quickly followed by a promotional appearance that afternoon and a dinner in the evening.

Given the jet lag, an afternoon tee time in the Wednesday pro-am was welcomed, and a chance to see the golf course for the first time. With the rough sparse given the recent hot weather and the greens holding and true, I expected low scoring, which proved to be the case.

In the first two rounds I hit the ball well and managed to get up and down when needed to shoot 66 and 68, to be 10 under par and two shots behind the leader.

On Saturday I had my best round of the week with a 7 under par, 65, with 7 birdies. I was looking forward to playing in the final group on Sunday with Andrea Pavan, both joint leaders on 17 under par, three shots ahead of the chasing pack.

I got off to a good start with a birdie on the 1st to edge ahead and with further birdies on the 6th and 9th was three shots ahead at the turn.

A loose second shot on the 10th led to me needing an up and down for a par, with Pavan’s birdie meaning I was two ahead. We traded pars at the 11th, before another birdie from Pavan on the 12th narrowed the gap to one.

I nearly holed in one on the par 3 13th, with my birdie restoring my two shot lead, with Pavan’s birdie at the 14th taking it back to one.

Despite a good chip and a well-struck putt I didn’t get up and down on the 15th, which was only my second bogey of the week. However, the turning point was on the 16th. I hit a good tee shot to 14 feet but Pavan held a “bomb” from 35 feet whilst my putt slipped passed the cup, so I was now one behind.

Despite a good putt from 30 feet on the 17th which narrowly missed, Pavan held a 15 foot putt to pull two ahead with only one hole to play.

I desperately needed a birdie on the last so was aggressive off the tee and into the green, leaving myself an 12 foot putt for a birdie to put the pressure on Pavan to make par to win. However when my birdie putt lipped out, it was all over.

I was naturally disappointed not to win but must congratulate Andrea, whose back nine of 31 was impressive. However, I can take many positives from the week, not least my ball striking and chipping. Only two bogies during the week was satisfying too and it all gives me optimism for the remainder of the season.

I now have two weeks off to practise and recharge the batteries, before returning at the KLM Open and the Portuguese Masters.
    Talk soon,
    Padraig.

Isn’t he so down to earth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭redarmy

Ater a two week break I’m am back playing in the KLM Open in the Netherlands. I was ready for my break as it had been a busy summer and I spent the time at home which was great - no travel and my own bed! However it wasn’t all relaxing as I did, as you would expect, a lot of practice.
    I played here last year and enjoyed The Dutch course, so I am looking forward to playing here again. I played nine holes with Paul Dunne on Tuesday - we had a good game which ended in a half and also had a few games on Trackman afterwards. I have to say you can’t beat competitive practice - no matter how much good work you do on your own, it just isn’t as good as when you are competing against someone else.
    I played the pro-am on Wednesday. It was a 12pm shotgun start so I got my work done before we teed off. I spent about 30 minutes practicing my putting and than about 45 minutes hitting some balls. I was happy with how I played - I made a few birdies which is what you want as its good to see the ball going in the hole on a Wednesday. It makes you feel good about your putting!
    The course is in very good condition as it was last year. This year the weather forecast is a lot better, after getting the wind out of the way on Tuesday and the rain on Wednesday. The rest of week looks pretty good.
    After the couple of days playing I am feeling good about things. I was a little ropey on Tuesday as I had hit a lot of balls over the last two weeks, so it was good to get some holes under my belt.
    I’m playing early tomorrow with Ross Fisher and Lee Westwood and looking forward to getting back into competitive mode. After coming close at the Czech Masters I am itching to get another win. I liked what I saw there when I was under pressure and know that if I can get myself into contention here then I have a great chance.
    Talk soon,
    Padraig.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

^
    Where does he practice when at home does anyone know? (other than in his garden!)

I'm surprised more tournaments dont have shotgun starts on Thur/Fri for TV purposes.

GreeBo wrote: »
    ^
    Where does he practice when at home does anyone know? (other than in his garden!)

I'm surprised more tournaments dont have shotgun starts on Thur/Fri for TV purposes.

He frequents the K Club and Adare AFAIR

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

member in dun laoghaire afik which is only up the road from him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Is he not in Stackstown any more no?

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭markthespark77

making a good charge so far, 5 under threw 11 holes for his round so far. -9 total. in T3rd at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,014 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

5th place finish 3 shots behind the winner

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

paulie21 wrote: »
    5th place finish 3 shots behind the winner

Good weekend.

Hopefully two decent results in a row is a sign of a run of good form

76 big ones, cha ching

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

It's nice to see a run of good form for Padraig. In Vilamoura next week where he won not too long ago, so hopefully another good week is on the cards - maybe even a win?��

Hopefully, he'll also be able to stay in the top 50 in PGA career earnings so that he keep his playing privileges for next year. As I predicted a few weeks back, he had been passed by Justin Thomas and is now down to 48th.

Am I right in thinking that FedEx Cup bonus money counts towards career earnings? In that case, it's possible (but unlikely) that he could fall out of the top 50, but likely he'll drop one place at most, with Patrick Reed being the most likely candidate to pass him.

• Advertisement

I’m a huge P fan and the last two tournaments have been great but we have to reflect the fields which have been very weak.
    I firmly believe he has multiple victories ahead before the Seniors

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

slave1 wrote: »
    I’m a huge P fan and the last two tournaments have been great but we have to reflect the fields which have been very weak.
    I firmly believe he has multiple victories ahead before the Seniors

Weak field or not he was still -13 for the weekend which is great going. Great to see a run of form from him, I know it’s not going to last forever but we can enjoy it while it’s going.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

So with tiger's win last night, that means he has won 43 of the 45 tournaments he has lead after 3 rounds. I'm almost 100% sure that Paddy was the first and one of only 2 that has chased him down going into a final round. Some achievement...…

I'm reading the latest tiger book at the moment and its a fascinating read. Not sure how happy I am for him to be back winning after all I've read about him as a person but its hard not to be impressed all the same. His record before the injuries and scandals was an absolute joke....he'd often go on winning streaks where he'd win 6 out of 8 tournaments for example....I don't think we'll ever see the likes of him again to be honest. There's too many excellent golfers around at the moment meaning none will dominate over a sustained period of time. Tiger on the other hand had no real peers. The likes of Michaelson, and co. and to be fair, including Paddy in his prime, were just living off his scraps....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Padraig still has one of the best short games in the world.

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    So with tiger's win last night, that means he has won 43 of the 45 tournaments he has lead after 3 rounds. I'm almost 100% sure that Paddy was the first and one of only 2 that has chased him down going into a final round. Some achievement...…

I'm reading the latest tiger book at the moment and its a fascinating read. Not sure how happy I am for him to be back winning after all I've read about him as a person but its hard not to be impressed all the same. His record before the injuries and scandals was an absolute joke....he'd often go on winning streaks where he'd win 6 out of 8 tournaments for example....I don't think we'll ever see the likes of him again to be honest. There's too many excellent golfers around at the moment meaning none will dominate over a sustained period of time. Tiger on the other hand had no real peers. The likes of Michaelson, and co. and to be fair, including Paddy in his prime, were just living off his scraps....

OT a bit but a reason why there's a perception Tiger never had any peers (Phil, Duval for a time, Vijay, Ernie etc.) is he simply beat them all up in the big tournaments and never gave them the breathing room

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

MarcusP12 wrote: »

Not sure was it Harrington, YE Yang was definitely one in the 2009 US PGA. Maybe the other was Padraig but doesn’t ring a bell off hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭paulos53

The other person was Ed Fiori way back in 1996 when Tiger was still a winless rookie

Advertisement