Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington - 3 Time Major Winner/Ryder Cup Captain/US Senior Open Champion 2022!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Harry did have a notable win over tiger in Japan 2006 after a playoff but they’d been tied for 54 hole lead so wasn’t one of the 45.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭liamoreilly

...Harrington with a top 10 finish today...A good bit off the lead but a great result, he has really found some form the last few weeks...Would be great to see him with a good season next year...I think now he has potential to win again which is something I didn't think I'd be saying again...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Up to 95th in race to Dubai

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Harry did have a notable win over tiger in Japan 2006 after a playoff but they’d been tied for 54 hole lead so wasn’t one of the 45.

You might be right on that one....it's a hard one to check out...I always had that stat in my head about paddy and tiger as I (think) remember it being a pretty impressive feather in his cap....if it was the case though....

I don't think we'll ever see anyone as dominant as tiger again in our life time....too many seriously good players around that can win and no one is head and shoulder above they others to the same extent....curiously, after paddy (getting back on topic somewhat) won his 3 majors over a short period of time, there was a quite long period where there were different consecutive major winners....i.e. There werent really any multiple winners until the new batch to tiger challengers came along (Rory, JT, spiet, Koepke, etc) so what we might find is that instead of a dominant figure like tiger in his prime winning 2 or 3 each year and the rest fighting it amongst themselves, you'll probably have half a dozen top golfers winning regularly and racking up 4,5,6 majors each, whereas if they were around in tigers prime, they might have only one 2 or 3....

Good showing this week from paddy with a stronger field than his previous couple of good performances. Plenty of top 100 there and to finish top 10 is very encouraging. Wish he'd play more in Europe and not bother with the PGA tour....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

I think it was in Tiger's "wheelbarrow" tournament before it got official OWGR status.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I think it was Thomas Bjorn in Dubai.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

...Harrington with a top 10 finish today...A good bit off the lead but a great result, he has really found some form the last few weeks...Would be great to see him with a good season next year...I think now he has potential to win again which is something I didn't think I'd be saying again...

I’d give him a genuine chance at the PGA in Bethpage.
    Likes the course: Top20 in 2012 Playoffs & T5 in ‘02 PGA
    He will be player/captain in RC 2020.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

I’d give him a genuine chance at the PGA in Bethpage.
    Likes the course: Top20 in 2012 Playoffs & T5 in ‘02 PGA
    He will be player/captain in RC 2020.

I would love to come to regret this but I wouldn’t give him a snowballs chance

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    You might be right on that one....it's a hard one to check out...I always had that stat in my head about paddy and tiger as I (think) remember it being a pretty impressive feather in his cap....if it was the case though....

I don't think we'll ever see anyone as dominant as tiger again in our life time....too many seriously good players around that can win and no one is head and shoulder above they others to the same extent....curiously, after paddy (getting back on topic somewhat) won his 3 majors over a short period of time, there was a quite long period where there were different consecutive major winners....i.e. There werent really any multiple winners until the new batch to tiger challengers came along (Rory, JT, spiet, Koepke, etc) so what we might find is that instead of a dominant figure like tiger in his prime winning 2 or 3 each year and the rest fighting it amongst themselves, you'll probably have half a dozen top golfers winning regularly and racking up 4,5,6 majors each, whereas if they were around in tigers prime, they might have only one 2 or 3....

Good showing this week from paddy with a stronger field than his previous couple of good performances. Plenty of top 100 there and to finish top 10 is very encouraging. Wish he'd play more in Europe and not bother with the PGA tour....

Dead right on the playing in Europe bit - his chances of getting in the top 110 of race to Dubai on any given year are higher for him (or anyone - see Lowrys position mid 60s race to dubai vs losing US card) than top 125 US PGA.

It's clear that something about playing in Europe recently suit's him.

As he comes towards the end of his career - playing in European events is a good way to make a transition to whatever his future beyond playing professional golf holds.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Old diesel wrote: »
    As he comes towards the end of his career - playing in European events is a good way to make a transition to whatever his future beyond playing professional golf holds.

He's going to just keep on playing on playing Snrs/Invites etc and spend the rest of time with family I'd say

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Decent week again....T22 after scraping in for the weekend....could have been top ten but for a few dropped shots at the end on Friday and yesterday....playing very solidly....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Good to see Padraig going well, and he can't have had much practice for this week with the Ryder Cup. Expecting a good season from him next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Good to see Padraig going well, and he can't have had much practice for this week with the Ryder Cup. Expecting a good season from him next year.

I'd say he nominated himself to look after the non playing players so he could be on the range as much as possible!

In the last 5 events he has got world ranking points in 4 of them.

Now 171st in the world rankings.

For context he was 346th before his Sunday afternoon battle with a certain Mr Pavan in the Czech Masters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭redarmy

It was a week of what could have been for me. I played some lovely golf but wasn’t able to take full advantage of it. Over the four rounds I three putted ten times - I’m not sure I have ever had that many in a tournament. The greens were fast and it was exceptionally windy, so I would say the field had more three putts this week than most. However it is still a big number.
    I really like Walton Heath, everything about it is great bar the fact that it doesn’t really suit me. I find it very tight and so feel under a lot of pressure to drive the ball well. If it was tree lined I wouldn’t feel as constricted as I can play from the trees but the heather that they have is a very penal. That said I drove the ball well, especially considering I struggled in the pro-am with a hook. I was never really that comfortable but I managed to hit a lot of good tee shots.
    The course played tough all week as it was exceptionally windy the first three days and then the final round was a wet and miserable day. I was actually surprised by the scoring on Sunday - when I finished up I thought my 2 under was going to move me well up the leaderboard, but when I was signing my card I noticed that I had only jumped 9 places or so. It did improve by the end of the day but overall, considering the conditions we played in, I thought the scoring was impressive.
    I played my final round with Shane which was good fun, although due to the bad weather we didn’t have quite as much time to chat as normal.
    Overall I was a decent week. Even though I had a lot of three putts I felt that I still putted well. I hit a lot of good putts from distance but struggled with a few of the short putts. However I holed a lot of short ones too, because with the speed of the greens and the conditions you ended up having a lot of short putts to hole. My driving was good, especially considering that the heather stresses me out, so I’m feeling good about where my game is at and looking forward to the rest of the season.
    Later this week I’m playing in Valderrama as I am trying to qualify for the final series of events in Europe. After the British Masters I am 86th in the Race to Dubai, which is generally around the number to qualify for Turkey. However, I could do with being a few spots higher to be sure of getting in, so I’ve added Valderrama in the hope of moving up further.
    Talk soon,
    Padraig.

Some of his Pro-Am 4ball...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

^ Lowry has really slimmed down!

:pac:

Dptzjz8W4AE3ovs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

redarmy wrote: »
    Later this week I’m playing in Valderrama as I am trying to qualify for the final series of events in Europe. After the British Masters I am 86th in the Race to Dubai, which is generally around the number to qualify for Turkey. However, I could do with being a few spots higher to be sure of getting in, so I’ve added Valderrama in the hope of moving up further.
    Talk soon,
    Padraig.

From what I could find on the ET website, the top 101 in the R2D rankings qualify for Turkey. So Padraig should easily qualify for this? But watching on Sky yesterday after play was stopped, they went through the leaderboard and the commentator mentioned that PH had played this week hoping to qualify for Turkey and the final series but said it looks like he'll fall short? I know only the top 60 make the last event in Dubai, but surely he still has a chance to make that, or am I missing something?

Adiaga 2 wrote: »
    From what I could find on the ET website, the top 101 in the R2D rankings qualify for Turkey. So Padraig should easily qualify for this? But watching on Sky yesterday after play was stopped, they went through the leaderboard and the commentator mentioned that PH had played this week hoping to qualify for Turkey and the final series but said it looks like he'll fall short? I know only the top 60 make the last event in Dubai, but surely he still has a chance to make that, or am I missing something?

Not exactly 100% on it but isn’t the turkish field restricted to 78 so 86 definitely wouldn’t be good enough unless, possibly, in the case of no shows or withdrawals but, like I said, I’m not certain how that works. Seems to be top 70 for turkey anyway with 8 extra spots fished out according to some criteria.

• Advertisement

I found this re qualification criteria for the Turkish Airlines Open.

In 2016, qualification criteria were revised. The field consists of the top 70 available players from the Race to Dubai, three Turkish players, and five unrestricted tournament invitations. Alternates are drawn from the Race to Dubai standings beyond the top 70 available.

Depends how many of the top players decide not to show up. Only 3 of top 10 in race to dubai rankings entered turkey event last year so he’s still in the mix I reckon. A wait and see job.

As a triple major winner, I guess a tournament invitation might also be a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

The qualifying system isn't communicated very well at all. They could have the qualifying numbers on the R2D rankings page to make it clear, but I guess with the amount of affiliates, the goal posts sort of move. A bit shambolic really.

The 101 figure I saw was here. Obviously changed since.

Padraig got an invite last year and played well but his earnings didn't count towards to the R2D.

Hopefully still a slim chance to qualify on merit...sort of :o

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Realalemadrid

According to the last two years on the European Tour Website the definition has been the leading 70 available players in the R2D ranking as at the end of the previous tournament.

In 2016 - the 102nd ranked player made it
    In 2017 - the 81st ranked player made it.
    PH is now in 89th position.

It is anything but clear so feel free to correct.

Exact wording as below

2017:
    Category 0a -- The leading available 70 players from the Race to Dubai Rankings as of the conclusion of the Andalucia Valderrama Masters hosted by the Sergio Garcia Foundation (22nd October 2017).

Category 0a -- The leading available 70 players from the Race to Dubai Rankings as of the conclusion of the Portugal Masters (23rd October 2016). (Blank entries will be made for those Players ONLY who obtain a qualifying ranking position after close of entries)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭paulos53

The entry list for the Turkish Open is up on the European Tour website now. The top 70 cutoff is currently at 88th spot with Padraig in 89th spot. However he has been given an invite

paulos53 wrote: »
    The entry list for the Turkish Open is up on the European Tour website now. The top 70 cutoff is currently at 88th spot with Padraig in 89th spot. However he has been given an invite

Looks like he missed out on automatic qualification by less than €1,000. Assuming nobody pulls out, does this mean that any earnings from the event will not count towards the Race to Dubai? Or does that restriction only apply to those outside the position required to hold onto your card?

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

abff wrote: »
    Looks like he missed out on automatic qualification by less than €1,000. Assuming nobody pulls out, does this mean that any earnings from the event will not count towards the Race to Dubai? Or does that restriction only apply to those outside the position required to hold onto your card?

Ah surely if he plays, his earnings will count...... sorry I've just seem the earlier post that suggest they didn't last year......

abff wrote: »
    Ah surely if he plays, his earnings will count...... sorry I've just seem the earlier post that suggest they didn't last year......

I think he may have been further down the rankings last year, hence my request for clarification.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

If he gets in through invite then it won't count. If he gets in through points then he doesn't need the invite and points would count. Needs one more to pull out

Advertisement