Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington - 3 Time Major Winner/Ryder Cup Captain/US Senior Open Champion 2022!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

If he gets in through invite then it won't count. If he gets in through points then he doesn't need the invite and points would count. Needs one more to pull out

Looking at the latest list, three people have pulled out, so Padraig is now an automatic qualifier. That's good news, as it gives him a chance to qualify for the following two tournaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

He will probably need to win about 200k to reach Dubai. Something like a top 5 required

Edit. Actually he could play South Africa too?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Realalemadrid

He will probably need to win about 200k to reach Dubai. Something like a top 5 required

Edit. Actually he could play South Africa too?

Top 65 available enter South Africa, current cut-off is 84 so needs to crawl into top 80 ( to be safe ) to qualify for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dero123

Current 150k behind guy in spot 60 for Dubai, goal for this week has to be to climb up to get into Nedbank next week.
    I would say he is certain to get an invite if he does not make it by right but the earnings would not count for Dubai

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Birdie, birdie, birdie start! -3 after 3. Not bad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Two Irish lads sitting pretty at the top of the leaderboard at the moment. Good to see!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭redarmy

This week I’m in Turkey for the Turkish Airlines Open. Last year I played here on an invite which meant that any money I won didn’t count on the Race to Dubai rankings, but this year I am qualified off my current ranking and so anything I make this week counts.
    This is my third year playing here at the Regnum resort, but the fourth time at the Turkish Open. Every year I come I am more impressed with the area. The hotels are fantastic and the golf courses are well designed. The area in Antalya that we are in has great land for golf courses, with the two courses I have played lined with mature trees.
    I arrived feeling good about my game and also about the venue as I played well here last year. Over the last couple of months my game has been trending nicely and it’s good to be coming to events with the confidence of decent results under your belt. This, together with my past performance on this course, has me excited about the coming week.
    On Tuesday Shane Lowry and myself played nine holes and afterwards I did some practice. The range has some nice targets and also a couple of trees in the middle which provide great definition. On Wednesday I did some practice before the pro-am as I knew that by the time we finished I wouldn’t want to do anything. We didn’t do particularly well in the pro-am but for me it was nice to play the 18 holes and see how the course was playing. It’s in good shape and we have a good forecast for the week, so it will play pretty much as we had it on Wednesday.
    I’m out at 8.25am Irish time on Thursday with Martin Kaymer and Ryan Fox, two good guys to play with as they are easy going. I’m feeling good about where my game is and how the course is playing.
    As it stands as the moment, I am not qualified for next week’s tournament in Sun City. I need a decent finish here to ensure getting in next week and a very good week to sort out my qualification for the DP World Tour Championship in Dubai the following week. I’m happy that it is within my control and while I want to make it to the next two events, I am focusing on this week rather than thinking about next week and beyond. I am here to try and win and if I can do that then everything else will be looked after.
    Talk soon,
    Padraig.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

redarmy wrote: »
    ...I am here to try and win...

Lovely to see, and would be lovely to see

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

He is top class. . . takes on shots that most would'nt even dare . . Do or Die attitude, love it! He is an out and out winner !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Jaysus, him & Dunne have both missed tiddlers for pars today in their opening holes. Paddy turned a good birdie chance into a bogey there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

PD just did the same - missed a short birdie putt to get back to -7

Paddy has stalled, Dunners finally on the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

It appears Padraig got an eagle on 15

A struggle for the lads today, but well in frame. Rose atop the leaderboard yet again, becoming an irritating presence.

Not sure what's up with Padraig today. 3 over after 8 and plummeting down the leaderboard. Needs to halt the slide if he's going to get into the Nedbank.

abff wrote: »
    Not sure what's up with Padraig today. 3 over after 8 and plummeting down the leaderboard. Needs to halt the slide if he's going to get into the Nedbank.

Got it back to level par. Needs a low score tomorrow to make it into next week's tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

A triple bogey stoped him in his tracks today anyway

Mushy wrote: »
    A triple bogey stoped him in his tracks today anyway

Looks like he's going to miss out on next week unless he gets an invite. Dubai is out of reach in any event.

abff wrote: »
    Looks like he's going to miss out on next week unless he gets an invite. Dubai is out of reach in any event.

Missed out by two spots, he’s down on European Tour site as having received an Invitation

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Dero123 wrote:
    Missed out by two spots, he’s down on European Tour site as having received an Invitation

He may decline that invitation though. According to PGA tour he is playing mayakoba next weekend . Interesting to see which he plays in . There is some stipulation on the PGA tour about players having to play in one new tournament each year but not certain of exact details. He may have picked mayakoba for that reason

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

He may decline that invitation though. According to PGA tour he is playing mayakoba next weekend . Interesting to see which he plays in . There is some stipulation on the PGA tour about players having to play in one new tournament each year but not certain of exact details. He may have picked mayakoba for that reason

Also says on the invites for sun city that 3 of the 4 invites must be inside the worlds top 50 as of 24 September and only 1 of them is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I know the new rule you’re referring to but given he’s lost his pga card now, and full membership with it, I’m not sure it would affect Harrington. Interestingly the last time he played mayakoba - open to correction on this - was 2014 when he’d also lost his card. Not sure if that’s significant or not to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I know the new rule you’re referring to but given he’s lost his pga card now, and full membership with it, I’m not sure it would affect Harrington. Interestingly the last time he played mayakoba - open to correction on this - was 2014 when he’d also lost his card. Not sure if that’s significant or not to be honest.
    Obligations to sponsors come into it too.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

I thought he is using career earnings top 50 to play this full season on the PGA tour this year

I thought he is using career earnings top 50 to play this full season on the PGA tour this year

Yeah thought that was the case too, it’s a one off exemption.

He’s listed as a starter in South Africa, may have just opted to enter PGA event as a fall back, was an interview somewhere last week where he said it was getting harder to play both tours.
    Possibly playing a couple of late season events in America makes it easier to reach the minimum number required for membership.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Ah cmon lads, time to put this thread humanely to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Don't hold your breath :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Why? He has over 180k winnings for oct/nov so far.Not sure what his world ranking is at the moment but it is a great achieveement with small margins to be that highly ranked in an extremely competitive sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I suppose that would make sense alright. Has he said he is doing it? I could have missed the announcement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Why? He has over 180k winnings for oct/nov so far.Not sure what his world ranking is at the moment but it is a great achieveement with small margins to be that highly ranked in an extremely competitive sport.

His world ranking is 180 this week

Advertisement