Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington - 3 Time Major Winner/Ryder Cup Captain/US Senior Open Champion 2022!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Realalemadrid

abff wrote: »
    I see Padraig's score has just been amended from a 64 to a 65. Still an excellent round, but disappointing to see a mistake like that. Does anyone know what happened?

He took a penalty drop and the tracker didn't register it. That tracker is notoriously fickle.

Its apparently all done with volunteers for the most part so easy to see there can be mistakes, kinda surprising there isn't more at times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭redarmy

My first competitive trip to Canada did not go to plan - I missed out on qualifying for the US Open and then missed the cut at the Canadian Open.
    My play over the two days at the Canadian Open just wasn’t good enough to make the cut having hit too many poor iron shots in particular.
    In round one I drove the ball nicely but I hit my irons very poorly and just wasn’t getting any sort of strike on them. Even my bad shots weren’t consistent; some were thin and some were fat.
    Friday was the same; I wasn’t able to figure out what was causing the problem. The funny thing is that it is normally the other way around for me - my iron play is normally good and the driver would be the club that can let me down. That said, as bad as I hit my irons on Thursday I could still have shot a decent score if my short game was up to scratch.
    I opened up on Thursday morning by missing a 3 footer for birdie and closed out my round by doing the same. In between I had a 3 putt on my 16th hole and what was more damaging was a thinned bunker shot on my 15thhole. I was 2 under par at the time and it was as easy a bunker shot as possible. I thinned it into the woods behind the green and ended up having to take a drop in the bunker and play the shot again. In the end I got up and down for a double bogey but it was a devastating blow. Having struggled with my game during the round, I managed to get it to 2 under and then to give the shots back so easily was a killer. In the end I shot 1 over which left me with a lot of work to do on Friday.
    On Friday I just didn’t play well enough to get anything going and never really looked like making the cut. The damage was done on Thursday when I turned a reasonable round into a bad one. In the end I missed the cut by 4 shots.
    It was a tough one to take, as I know that looking at my first round, I could so easily have shot 2 to 5 under par, but instead shot 1 over. I stayed around for the weekend to do some practice so as to try and figure out what I was doing wrong with my irons. I think I may have got to the bottom of it as I could see some good progress by the end of the weekend.
    What a great week it was for the Irish guys though. Rory played great all week for the win, Shane secured his playing rights for next year with a great 2nd place and then Graeme holed a putt on the last to get him into The Open. Great to see!
    I’m off for a week so will be doing some work to sort out my iron play before getting back to action next week at the Travelers Championship and being a couch potato watching the US Open....
    Talk soon,
    Padraig.

My trip to Hartford for the Travelers Championship didn’t turn out how I had planned as I missed the cut after rounds of 68 and 72. Like any week when you miss the cut, it was extremely disappointing but last week was a little more so as I like the course and always feel that it is a place where I can do well. However it wasn’t to be this year.
    I was very happy to shoot 2 under par on Thursday, especially after how I have played for the last few weeks. I hit a lot of greens in my first round but I never really got the ball close to the hole. Even though I was hitting greens I wasn’t hitting my irons well enough to take on flags. If someone had asked me what I thought I was going to shoot when I was warming up I certainly wouldn’t have said under par. I was struggling big time to put a good strike on anything, so to shoot 68 was great.
    Going out on Friday I figured that the cut was going to be 2 under par and so I needed at least level par on the day. I got to a poor start, hitting a terrible iron shot to the 10th my first hole - I pulled it left and ended up making a great bogey, having hit one of my best ever chip shots just to get the ball on the green. I came right back with a birdie on the 11th and then another one on the 13th. However after that my game got a bit ropey and I was struggling with my irons again, pulling a lot of them and finding it hard to get my distance right as the strike wasn’t great. An example of this was my 9 iron tee shot to 16. I caught it fat and hit it in the water 25 yards short of the flag which cost me a bogey. I was hanging on at 2 under and gave myself a great chance on my 11th to get to 3 under par but missed a 3 footer for birdie, which would have given me a bit of breathing space. I dropped a shot on my 13th and then got it back on my 15th to be back on the cut mark, only then to drop shots on my 16th and 17th holes to miss the cut.
    It was very annoying to miss the cut the way I did, especially having battled all day to stay on the mark and then to give it away at the end.
    I stayed around for the weekend as George Gankas was there and I wanted to do some work with him. I spent a couple of hours on the range with him on Saturday and then about half an hour on Sunday. By the end of the session on Saturday I was beginning to put a good strong strike on my irons again. After a few weeks of not striking them well it was nice to feel it coming back. I put in long sessions on the range on Saturday and Sunday working on it and by the end I was happy with what I was doing. The funny thing is that quite a bit of it is similar to stuff I worked on for years with Bob Torrance.
    I’ll be doing some more work on it over the next week so as to be ready for the Irish Open.
    Talk soon,
    Padraig.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Bump
    That work with Gankas seems to have done the trick!
    Great stuff so far
    Cmon Padraig!

• Advertisement

Nice one! Bird finish
    Great recovery from the bunker.
    Never mind the poorly struck approach.Cough

Phenomenal golf by Paddy, if it's the last time he ever leads a European Tour event then a 63 is memorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Phenomenal golf by Paddy, if it's the last time he ever leads a European Tour event then a 63 is memorable.

You can thank me for that, when I tuned in he was going well, his next shot went in the bunker so I immediately turned off the tv ..... and he went back to doing well .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Not going so well for Padraig today, sadly. +4 for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Not going so well for Padraig today, sadly. +4 for the day.

Birdied the last according to leaderboard so finished on +3 for the day

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

was it just me or did RTE not show his putts on 18?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭liamoreilly

slave1 wrote: »
    was it just me or did RTE not show his putts on 18?
    ...Just you, they showed the eagle putt and tap in birdie...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Watched Paddy yesterday at the 18th green. he was there for about 30 mins before we left, just practising chipping/putting from all the miss points to all the different possible pin positions.
    class stuff

Seve OB wrote: »
    Watched Paddy yesterday at the 18th green. he was there for about 30 mins before we left, just practising chipping/putting from all the miss points to all the different possible pin positions.
    class stuff

Loved that he was also there to congratulate Shane.
    I think it’s fair to say that Harrington probably would have given Lowry a WC if Was there or thereabouts an automatic spot.
    Shane (the legend) probably won’t need a WC anyway! He will follow the other legend and win go on to win back to back Opens!

PS we had a baby boy yesterday. I was pulling for Shane or Padraig.
    Was overruled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Dbu wrote: »

The subtitles for Paddy is a classic Phil move :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

Nice to see Padraig overcoming a triple bogey 6 on his second hole to make the cut today. Seems to have found some reasonable form over the past few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Serious stones on paddy there....that’s 2 weeks in a row that he’s birdied the last hole to scrape in....

This week it’s the Turkish Airlines Open at the Montgomerie Maxx Royal. It’s back here after a break of 3 years. Unfortunately I didn’t qualify automatically to be here from the Race To Dubai rankings, so I’m playing on an invite, which means that I can’t qualify for the finale of the Race to Dubai in two weeks as the points I will earn will not count. However, it’s great to have received an invite as I really like this tournament.
    I’ve played on this course twice before. I liked it both times and have enjoyed playing it in practice this week. The course is in good condition and the forecast for the week is perfect, so I would expect the scoring to be low. There are five par fives, all reachable and a driveable par four, so there are plenty of birdie opportunities. The greens have some slopes in them which, if you get the wrong side, can make for an awkward putt.
    I played 13 holes on Tuesday morning and the pro-am on Wednesday. The two days we have had have been ideal golfing conditions and it’s to be like that for the week. It was nice to get out on the course as I spent quite a lot of time last week hitting balls. No matter how many balls you hit it’s no substitute for being on the course and playing. On the golf course there are consequences to shots whereas on the range there are none.
    As I have hit a lot balls last week I’m feeling a little ropey. To counteract that I have hit a lot of wedges in practice. The more I work on these clubs the more it gets me away from thinking about technique. It was great in the pro-am as I was able to see that after only two days of working on my wedges that they had improved and to perform well this week you need to hit your wedges close.
    However the good news from my work at home last week is that I have got myself a new driver. It’s an old head I had at home which has worked well in practice and feels very much like the one that broke.
    This week I’m playing with Victor Perez and Mathias Schwab, two young guys on tour that have been playing well for a while now. We are out at 11.30am on Thursday morning. I’m feeling a little ropey and would like another day or two on the course to get ready, but even as Ryder Cup Captain I can’t organise that! It’s not like I haven’t felt this way before and I am fully aware that anything could happen, so I won’t be thinking too much about it.
    Talk soon,
    Padraig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

He had a 10 today on the 4th!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

He had a 10 today on the 4th!

What the hell happened? Missed a putt for a 9, I guess! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    What the hell happened? Missed a putt for a 9, I guess! :D

I didn't see it, but I heard on the radio that he put 3 balls in the water.

The Nedbank Golf Challenge and Sun City were as great as always. Like every year the hardest thing about the week is leaving. However I’m leaving in good spirits as I feel that I sorted a few things out during the week. The work I did with Mike Walker early on in the week was great. I got a few things clear in my head and we figured out what I needed to work on during my winter break. The great thing was that it made a difference to my play during the week as well.
    I’d say last week was probably my best week ever in Sun City. I’m sure I have finished higher than 20th in the old format, but in terms of how I played and dealing with the swirling wind and altitude, I’d say that this was my best performance. I have always found it a hard place to get the clubbing right as there are so many variables, but last week we managed to do a good job of it.
    I finished in 20th place but it was probably the worst I could have done. The final few holes cost me a lot of shots over the last three days – I dropped seven shots in total over the last 5 holes on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. This, added to my triple bogey on the 9th, cost me contending the tournament. The triple was a bad one really; I went for the green in two and caught the water. I took a drop up at the water so as to have a chip shot, but I chipped it in the water with my first ball. I really should have made a six at worst.
    I am disappointed to have played as I did and only finish 20th but I am also happy with how I played and the work I did during the week. I could see a lot of progress by the end of the tournament and I was getting confident with the driver again. On Saturday I felt really good with it and drove it great and I’m taking a lot of positives away with me from the week. My long game was much improved from the previous week, my wedge play benefited from the practice I did on it and my putting felt really good.
    Unfortunately the season is coming to an end for me – I have the Father and Son at the start of December, but given the way I played last week I would love to have a few more tournaments. However I will be getting into my winter practice and getting myself ready for the start of next season.
    Well done to Tommy on a great win!
    Talk soon,
    Padraig.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Trampas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

bbc5 live - interview on right now with him

This week I’m in West Palm Beach for the Honda Classic, a tournament that I have won twice before in 2005 and 2015. My second win was on the current course, PGA National, home of the Bear Trap. I only got here on Tuesday afternoon as I was in New York on Monday night at a charity fund raiser for Crumlin Hospital. It’s an event that I have been trying to get to over the years but it just hasn’t worked out with my schedule, so when we were able to set it up for Monday I was thrilled to be able to make it there. It is such a great cause.
    I’ve been home for the last two weeks and I have hit a lot of balls, all of them indoors on a simulator. So when I got here on Tuesday I was anxious to get out on the course to see how my game was. I warmed up and went and played 7 holes on the back nine. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised as to how well I hit the ball. After hitting into a net for 2 weeks, I was a little worried as to what the ball flight would be like.
    The Wednesday pro-am was only nine holes and I played the front nine. After my round I had lunch with Bob Rotella, who spends his winters down here. I haven’t seen him for quite a while so we had a lot to chat about - it was good to catch up and to do some work together. As always, I can see from taking to him that I have been spending too much time on my physical game and not enough on my mental game. After we chatted I went out and hit balls, working on my routines. It’s amazing how hard it is to do and how few balls you actually hit when you are doing it properly.
    After my two weeks of practice at home I am a little rusty. My wedge play is not quite where I would like it to be and my routines are only okay - I can see that I need to spend a lot more time on these areas. However in terms of ball striking, I am happy with how it has been been in practice.
    The golf course is playing quite different to other years. There is nowhere near as much rough as normal and as a result it takes the pressure off hitting fairways. That’s not to say it is an easy course from the rough but at least now you are not as worried about not being able to reach the green. The greens are quick and firm to chip onto. It’s in as good condition as I have seen it and I would expect the scoring to be a little better than normal as a result.
    I know I am quite rusty in terms of scoring and I’d like to have another day to spend on my wedge play, chipping and putting. However I don’t have that luxury so I have to play my way into things over the next couple of days. I’m out early tomorrow at 8.15am and then 1.05pm on Friday. Patience will be my mantra for the week.
    Talk soon,
    Padraig.

I’ve moved a couple of hours down the road to Orlando for the Arnold Palmer Invitational at Bay Hill. I arrived here on Tuesday afternoon as I had some commitments on Monday night in Miami. I’ve played the here many times so it wasn’t that big a deal for me to get in here late. I also had a corporate outing on Tuesday afternoon, so when I did get here I only had a couple of hours to do any work.
    The first thing I did was to do some work with Quintic, the putting people I use. I hit putts on their system for about 20 minutes. It was very worthwhile as they pointed out that my ball position needed to be moved back in my stance a bit. They also noted from the analysis that my stroke was very good and the impact improved once the ball was moved back. I haven’t been holing putts but have felt I have been hitting good putts, so to hear that the fundamentals are sound was a good confidence booster. By the time I finished working on my putting I only had 20 minutes to hit balls before I had to leave. Pete Cowen had a quick look at me to check that everything was okay and then I headed off.
    On Wednesday I played the morning pro-am and for the most part I hit the ball well. My putting felt a little uncomfortable with the ball position moved back but the putts came off the putter well and definitely held their line. After the round I had it checked again. The data from the system was very positive; it feels uncomfortable but at least I know it’s correct.
    I hit wedges for about 30 minutes in between a couple of putting sessions. I am committed to not hitting my wedges hard and so I wanted to get some practice in. I know that if I practice hitting them easy then I strike them a lot better.
    The golf course is in very good condition but playing tough. The rough is up and there ate a few new tees since I was last here. It certainly played long in the morning pro-am.
    I am playing at 6.57am on Thursday morning and then 11.47am on Friday morning with Mark Hubbard and Christian Bezuidenhout. I’m very happy with my long game and having worked on my wedges over the weekend, I’m looking forward to playing to see how my practice has worked out.
    Talk soon,
    Padraig.

Another missed cut! Similar to the previous week it was very disappointing, as I could so easily have made the cut.
    Whilst I finished on 9 over for the two rounds, it was actually the first round that put me under pressure. I played very nicely on Thursday and ended up shooting 2 over par, which was the worst score I could have shot. In my opening four holes I could easily have made three birdies, but actually made none. I just didn’t convert any of the makeable birdie putts I gave myself. For my round I made only one birdie and that was on the 16thafter I hit the green in two. I started on the back nine and made a bogey on the 11th and the birdie on the 16th to be level par. I was still level playing the 4th (my 13th), pushed my drive right into the rough which plugged and we weren’t able to find it – it was a big blow as had I found it I would have been able to go for the green with a five wood. However, I had to go back to the tee and play another ball, which I made a four with for a 6 on the hole. I made pars on the 5th and 6th and then hit my tee shot on the 7thto 3 feet. I had this to get me back to level par but unfortunately I missed it, which was another big blow after such a good tee shot. Then on my last hole, the 9th, which was playing into a strong wind, I hit a good drive but pulled my 4 iron into the greenside trap. My bunker shot ran out too much and I missed the putt for par, which all meant that I shot 2 over par, which was very annoying as I had played a lot better. Had I holed the putt on 7 and then made par on the 9th I would have come off the course happy with level par but 2 over meant that I was on the back foot going into Friday.
    The conditions on Friday were a lot harder - it was very windy and the course was playing tough. When I was heading out I knew that a level par round would make the cut. As it turned out I could have shot 1 over and made it. However I got off to the worst possible start; I hooked my three wood out of bounds left on the first and then three putted with my second ball for a triple bogey 7, which left me too much work to do. On such a tough day trying to force birdies meant that it ended up going the other way on me. I shot 79 in the end and was under pressure to break 80 with 2 holes to play - after hitting my tee shot in the water on 17, I had to hole a good putt for bogey and then on 18, I made a good up and down from the bunker.
    All in all it was a disappointing week. I struggled with my putting and if you’re not holing putts it is very hard to compete. I know I am playing well enough from tee to green to be competing but my putting is holding me back. I was -2.5 shots gained putting, whilst the rest of my stats were poor as a result of my bad second round. During my week off I will be concentrating on my putting and trusting my reading of the greens.
    Talk soon,
    Padraig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Maybe the Ryder cup captain came too soon for Padraig ?

Still seems like playing in him.

Advertisement