Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington - 3 Time Major Winner/Ryder Cup Captain/US Senior Open Champion 2022!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Padraig has an interesting drill up on the Ryder Cup Instagram using a tennis ball. Something to keep anyone occupied that's self isolating.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

etxp wrote: »
    Padraig has an interesting drill up on the Ryder Cup Instagram using a tennis ball. Something to keep anyone occupied that's self isolating.

He's been putting up a good few drills. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

European tour showing another classic Padraig Harrington lesson on instagram

The thinned flop shot

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-9myOsH_MC/?igshid=bgmww18tvtiw

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Rikand wrote: »
    European tour showing another classic Padraig Harrington lesson on instagram

The thinned flop shot

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-9myOsH_MC/?igshid=bgmww18tvtiw

Man, he really does practice *all* the shots!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Loving his instructional series. He understands the mechanics so well.

Great video on lag putting........

https://www.facebook.com/RyderCupEuropeanTeam/videos/919583918476759/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Paddy was on the OTB Golf podcast yesterday for the last hour, brilliant stuff. I could listen to him for hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,014 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Withdrawn from the PGA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭redarmy

This week is my first tournament since the first week of March. It’s actually hard to believe that it’s that long ago, but like everyone in the world I never thought I would see anything like what we have been going through. If you had asked me in March what I would think of having six months off, I would have said I’d hate it. However I have to say that it wasn’t a bad thing for me - I have been playing for 25 years and so six months off has got me refreshed and ready to go again. I spent the six months practicing, hit a lot of balls and put my body through a lot and as a result I am carrying a knee injury. I got some good work done over the few months and got some things clear in my head. Now I am ready to play golf - I’m rusty but in your first event after a break that’s always the case. I’m looking forward to playing and giving it a go.
    I have to say, I was expecting an easier course than it is. I have played two practice rounds - on Tuesday it was blowing, the course played very tough and our group lost over a dozen balls between us. On Wednesday it was a calmer day and as a result the course was much more playable. The trouble is all off the tee here, so if you drive it well then you can score as the greens are big and they all have wide fringes so it is nearly impossible to short side yourself. Off the tee it is a very good test, the rough is up and it can be hard to find your ball. The lack of spectators is a big loss when it comes to finding your ball, as normally the fans have it found by the time you get up to it. When we played on Tuesday there were a few drives that were as tough as you will get - the 3rd is a dogleg right to left and the wind was in from the left so it was practically impossible to hit the fairway. The 13th has a hazard all down the right and trees along the left - it feels like threading a needle which is not easy when its blowing!
    I would have liked an easier test to take on after a six-month break! I know that I am rusty from the lack of tournament play but I would have hated to miss the Irish Open. I am back and really looking forward to playing. I have no expectations for the week but I will be trying hard and giving it everything I have. The way the course sets up, I feel that a more conservative strategy from the tee is the best approach considering I haven’t been playing. If I was a normal season and I had been playing, then I could see myself being a bit more aggressive but as I play my way back into it, I definitely feel a more conservative approach will work best.
    This is my first week in the “Bubble” and I have to say the European Tour is doing a great job. I feel totally at ease with all the precautions they have taken. We are all social distancing and wearing masks, tested upon entry to the bubble and then having our temperature-checked every day. They really have done a great job in creating a safe environment for us to compete in. Unfortunately it means that there are no spectators at the moment and for an Irish Open that is very strange. It will be very odd tomorrow not to have the great Irish fans out watching us. However, for the moment it is for the best and hopefully soon we will be able to return to some sort of normality.
    This week is a strange week for me for another reason as I should have been in Whistling Straights captaining the European Ryder Cup team. While it’s disappointing for it not to be going ahead this year, it was the right decision to postpone it. I am looking forward to this week next year even more so now.
    For the moment I am concentrating on this week here in Galgorm. I am playing at 1pm on Thursday and 9.25 am on Friday with Justin Harding and John Caitlin. As I said, I have no expectations but I am looking forward to getting back to competing.
    Talk soon,
    Padraig.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,014 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

71 today although be kicking himself over that birdie putt on 17th

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

paulie21 wrote: »
    71 today although be kicking himself over that birdie putt on 17th

He didn’t miss that did he :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Nice round of 69 from Padraig today in terrible conditions, he's improving by a shot each day. A legend of a man!

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

67 today, currently joint 7th. That's a nice four days for Padraig: 71, 70, 69, 67.

Class is permanent.

He has started a youtube channel too - first lesson is on chipping

• Registered Users Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Padraig going well in Scotland, hopefully kicks on today

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

Padraig going well in Scotland, hopefully kicks on today

Went pear shaped from hole 9 onwards today, but I still feel he has another big day in him before he hangs up his hat.

He's playing good stuff since the lockdown. Good to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Realalemadrid

I wonder will he play in Italy / Cyprus.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

On the march in the Bermuda, 5 under through 7.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tied 6th for Padraig at the Dubai Desert Classic, he's been playing some great golf since the golf returned. Life in the old dog yet! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Saw a bit of him in the first round in Phoenix playing with Stricker. Was going well til the 16th, 3 under, and then I went to bed. Woke up to hear he had finished level par; bogey, double bogey finish!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Just when we thought he was back, like proper back back he’s only gone and caught covid.

Out for pebble beach now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Suprised he didn't have jab. In hindsight. How on earth are the lads flipping tours and travelling etc ?

Suprised he didn't have jab. In hindsight. How on earth are the lads flipping tours and travelling etc ?

Slightly off topic but I’m not sure if the jab will stop a positive test result but more so it stops the vast majority getting severe symptoms and requiring hospitalisation. That’s all that matters I suppose.
    That’s what I was told with my jab anyway.

ForeRight wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but I’m not sure if the jab will stop a positive test result but more so it stops the vast majority getting severe symptoms and requiring hospitalisation. That’s all that matters I suppose.

I'm trying to work out how the lads can go from a European event and play in US following week.

Where does quarantine come into it ?

And would be quick turnaround too. Finish Sunday play Tues/ Wednesday.

They probably say testing . But where does incubation come in.

I think it was mentioned that players going back to Australia/ new Zealand would face quarantine.

I'm trying to work out how the lads can go from a European event and play in US following week.

I think it was mentioned that players going back to Australia/ new Zealand would face quarantine.

Some countries have different rules to the general public for elite sportspeople probably to do with the regular testing on each tour and keeping them in a bubble etc. etc.

Bit like when Lowry was able to come directly from the US to play in the Irish Open.

how the hell have you had a jab already?

edit... probably healthcare worker?

rumour quarantine coming in the states but not at the moment. not really sure what way they are managing it at the moment.
    Euro Tour have a big bubble, have to stay together from the moment you arrive and tested, they tell you what hotel to stay in, you can go from there to the course and back... nowhere else till the week is over.
    testing at every event

Seve OB wrote: »
    how the hell have you had a jab already?

edit... probably healthcare worker?

Don’t worry about how I got it and just open your front door and give me a clap ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

Don’t worry about how I got it and just open your front door and give me a clap ;)

lol...

• Advertisement

Exactly wrote: »
    Some countries have different rules to the general public for elite sportspeople probably to do with the regular testing on each tour and keeping them in a bubble etc. etc.

Bit like when Lowry was able to come directly from the US to play in the Irish Open.

I think test is all well and good - but quarantine is a feature of most testing arrangements.

You could seriously question intercontinental golf at the moment - but certainly if you are going to go from one tour to another - they will need a degree of quarantine and testing.

Advertisement