Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Superstars"

• 16-02-2016 10:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭

Can anyone else remember this programme?
    The only thing I can remember well enough is the music for the intro,which was taken from the song "Jesus Christ Superstar".

Was this one of those challenge shows,or was it an older version of somethin like "Gladiators"??

Siúl leat, siúl leat, le dóchas i do chroí, is ní shiúlfaidh tú i d'aonar go deo.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Yeah, I remember that one quite well. It was essential viewing back in the day, always came up in schoolyard conversations.

It was proper Sports Stars competing against each other in different Sports.

There were different versions on RTE and BBC (and several other international stations, with regular International finals) There was decent money on offer, at a when when most professional sports people earned far less than they would today.

Here's a clip of Pat Spillane in the International final, where the infamous 'Spillane Tan' first appeared!

And Kevin Keegan ripping his arm to shreds after falling off his bike on a cinder track. He was one of the biggest stars in football at the time, the insurers would never let someone like that compete these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Yes, for some reason I remember it quite well, including the king of the chin-ups, Mr. Gerry Loftus. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

jimgoose wrote: »
    Yes, for some reason I remember it quite well, including the king of the chin-ups, Mr. Gerry Loftus. :pac:

I remember that - he had a good action. Could average more than 1 per second IIRC.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Kevin Keegan crashing on his bike is the one thing I always remember from Superstars. I also remember Mark Gastineau of the New York Jets being on the international one. This was before American football was popular on this side of the Atlantic and what stuck in my mind was how big he was compared to most of the European athletes competing.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

jimgoose wrote: »

I never watched the Irish one, but on the UK one Brian Jacks was unbelievable at the gym stuff, especially the dips on the parallel bars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Jeez I mustve been really young to have missed out on all this.As already said,I only remember the theme music.....but so many huge sports stars on this,I mean Kevin Keegan-Liverpool Legend...obviously back then I wouldn't have known who he was.

Siúl leat, siúl leat, le dóchas i do chroí, is ní shiúlfaidh tú i d'aonar go deo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

And Pat Spillane sounds exactly the same back then as he does today-his voice hasn't aged a bit!
    He was obviously into all sports-and he looks absolutely baked in that clip.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Pat Spillane was my geography and P.E. teacher in primary school.They repeated Superstars in the early 90s,on I think maybe Eurosport.He got a bit of a slagging when the one he was in was shown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Former Dublin goalkeeper Paddy Cullen was in goals for the soccer part.
    Dribble through two sets of cones then shoot.

Paddy hardly ever saved anything!

Advertisement