Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters with pass degrees

Options
  • 16-02-2016 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

between 2003 and 2014 I completed two honors degrees one in international business and another in Computer Science which for various reasons I only achieved a passing grade in. These results weren't reflective of my overall grades but rather me flubbing my final Thesis.

At this point in my career I am seeking to obtain a masters in a field relevant to my career in data analytics in I'm hoping to get much better final grades.

With only pass degrees to my name is a masters off limits to me or is there some means of overcoming this. Can anyone recommend any course which could allow me to enter a masters?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭RtD

I guess this would depend on where you are applying and what you've been doing workwise since.

If you are applying to the same college where you completed your undergrad there may be some scope for looking at individual module grades or a friendly letter from a past tutor, not sure this would carry as much weight across different institutions.

Workwise, if you have been demonstrably working in the data field it may help overcome the lower academic scores.

My advice would be to sound out the courses you are looking at and the programs themselves would be able to provide you details of where you meet or fail to meet requirements and you can proceed from there.

For what it's worth, I am currently undertaking the distance learning Prof. Dip. in Data Analytics in UCD with a view to continuing on to the Masters. I had an honours (2.1) in one of the less numerate sciences and was asked to supply a number of details relating to the maths modules I had covered over the course of my education. If you have strong maths results it may help your case.
    For entry to the Professional Diploma in Data Analytics (LEVEL 9), students must have obtained an undergraduate or masters degree to standard 2:1 in a subject with some quantitative elements. Examples of programmes in this regard include degree awards in Business, Commerce, Economics, Education, Software Development etc. where some quantitative modules were undertaken. Those without this requirement but with substantial industry experience related to the area, or relevant professional qualifications, will also be considered on a case by case basis. Students who achieve a GPA of 3.08 or higher in the Professional Diploma are eligible to transfer to the MSc programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithimac

Thank you kindly.
    Its good to know that it is possible. I'll start looking at specific courses.

Advertisement