Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Hard drive USB connection broken

Options
  • 16-02-2016 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭

Hi all,

As per the title the USB connection of my external HDD has snapped off (please see attached photo). I have taken off the casing and the USB connecter is no longer attached to the board. Am I able to recover the data on this HDD easily or will I have to pay for a professional to do this?

Thanks in advance for any help that is proffered.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You can take the drive itself out of the enclosure. Then buy a new enclosure and stick the drive in there. Connect to PC and Bob's your uncle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

unkel wrote: »
    You can take the drive itself out of the enclosure. Then buy a new enclosure and stick the drive in there. Connect to PC and Bob's your uncle :)

As Unkel says just whip the HDD out of the existing case and pop it in one of these:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/482880-xenta-3-5-usb2-0-external-hard-drive-enclosure-gd356212

If you want to search for something more local to you the important bits are 3.5" HDD size, SATA not IDE interface and USB2 or 3 (depending whether your laptop/PC has a USB 3 port)

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭cmssjone

Thanks a million guys. Much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

or switch off pc,
    open pc case, turn off all power to pc, connect drive to pc through sata power data cables ,
    use cables from dvdrom drive on the pc.
    put drive on a stable flat surface,
    turn on pc .
    browse to drive e or d or f,external drive.
    copy files to drive c.
    or just buy a sata enclosure caddy.
    PUT Tape on pcb ,underneath the drive to prevent short circuits .
    Take out pc power cable from esb socket before opening the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭cmssjone

riclad wrote: »
    or switch off pc,
    open pc case, turn off all power to pc, connect drive to pc through sata power data cables ,
    use cables from dvdrom drive on the pc.
    put drive on a stable flat surface,
    turn on pc .
    browse to drive e or d or f,external drive.
    copy files to drive c.
    or just buy a sata enclosure caddy.
    PUT Tape on pcb ,underneath the drive to prevent short circuits .
    Take out pc power cable from esb socket before opening the case.

Thanks for that riclad. I only have a laptop so I'm going to go for the easy option and buy the sata caddy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement