Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Support for children

• 16-02-2016 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

I have 3 children aged 7, 5.5 and 3. Their father and I split up before Christmas and since then I have had some issues around how the children are reacting and coping (severe separation anxiety, phantom illnesses, regression with bed wetting and toileting, anger, hitting etc.)

I have looked into it and there seems to be little support for single parents and their children in terms of even just some informal meetings where parents could bring along their children and allow them to meet other kids in the same situation.

I have advised that there is play therapy available for kids but the costs are completely out of range for me. I looked into Rainbows Ireland also but they only run courses starting October for 12 weeks.

Any suggestions of any groups who meet etc. greatly appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭annie_ie

Hi Vel - I would recommend Play Therapy. Contact your local family support project as sometimes they have trainees working towards their clinical hours.
    If you want to PM me I can provide you with some advice or look up Play therapy in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 country gal

Vel wrote: »
    I have 3 children aged 7, 5.5 and 3. Their father and I split up before Christmas and since then I have had some issues around how the children are reacting and coping (severe separation anxiety, phantom illnesses, regression with bed wetting and toileting, anger, hitting etc.)

I have looked into it and there seems to be little support for single parents and their children in terms of even just some informal meetings where parents could bring along their children and allow them to meet other kids in the same situation.

I have advised that there is play therapy available for kids but the costs are completely out of range for me. I looked into Rainbows Ireland also but they only run courses starting October for 12 weeks.

hi im seperated just 3 years, back then kids were 7, 12 and 16. After 18 months my youngest child developed acute anciety anc hsd yo sttrnd the child and adolescent mental health services also known as CAHMS, they were brilliant with him as he was so bad couldn't go to schools for 6 wks. But barnardos were brillant their was a small waiting list, but they worked wonders on my 8 year old at the time, so give them a go and look them ip in your area as you have to be a year seperated to get kids to sttend rainbows, if your husband wont consent for kids to attend barnardos threaten him with court as no judge will take kindly in a man depriving his kids of such help, ive a long l7st of things I went through in 3 years my now 15 year old hadnt spoken toher dad in 4 months, youcan privately contact me if you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 country gal

Vel wrote: »

hi im seperated just 3 years, back then kids were 7, 12 and 16. After 18 months my youngest child developed acute anciety anc hsd yo sttrnd the child and adolescent mental health services also known as CAHMS, they were brilliant with him as he was so bad couldn't go to schools for 6 wks. But barnardos were brillant their was a small waiting list, but they worked wonders on my 8 year old at the time, so give them a go and look them ip in your area as you have to be a year seperated to get kids to sttend rainbows, if your husband wont consent for kids to attend barnardos threaten him with court as no judge will take kindly in a man depriving his kids of such help, ive a long l7st of things I went through in 3 years my now 15 year old hadnt spoken toher dad in 4 months, youcan privately contact me if you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 lcats

Hi there.
    I'm separated about the same length of time, and have one child 4 years old.
    he's reacting in a way similar to a trauma, and I'm also looking for a support group or just even a social group where, like you said, kids could meet other kids of separated families and I could meet other women who've been through similar.
    I think it us important for the kids to have a peer group to whom they can relate and this is not easy to find.
    caN you let me know if you find out about any or if you want to message me privately that'd be welcomed too!

Advertisement