Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few boardsie volunteers for a clean up in Dublin/Wicklow mountains?

Options
  • 16-02-2016 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭

Just throwing it out there after my spin last Saturday in the hills...
    The state of the place with Arsehole's littering....cushions, lampshades, plastic bottles and the like just thrown around the Glencree area...
    Why would you take the time to gather this stuff and take a spin into the hills and just fire it out your window.:mad::mad::(:(

Anyone interested in giving me a hand some day in the near future (next two weekends are out for me i think) to clean up a bit of rubbish on a few routes we all frequently cycle in the Dublin/Wicklow mountain region...

Someone had it up here they did it in the west with a club...im not in a club to organise it...
    I'll drive, provide the diesel (room for 4) I'll organise bringing black sacks, Ill try get a few litter pickers thingys if you have them all the better??? and of course I will help clean up....dispose of the rubbish properly well what items we can remove as I seen a double mattress in a ditch near Kilbride!!

Any cyclists from the council on here??

Any takers?? can only imagine it would take a few hours and rather spend months to moan about it just clean it...thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Delighted to help out, as I'm also totally disgusted with the fly tipping around our local beauty spots in the Wicklow hills. No transport apart from the bike (unless I can talk the missus into joining in), but would contribute towards diesel if I was getting a lift. For Glencree, I'd probably just cycle up on the beater and lock it somewhere inconspicuous. I've seen a few people out on clean up before on the Military road, but it is an ongoing problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

might need to tie in with the local council on this? cant think of any legal impediment but you just never know in this crazy world.

At best they might take the stuff off you and dispose free of charge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

I know Meath coco provide pickers, high-vis and free disposal of collected waste once a year as part of their spring clean initiative, definitely worth talking to WW coco and see if they'll take away the collected trash.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Fair play guys, I admire the initiative.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I know my club go out a few evenings mid summer to help out the local tidy towns crowd, I just don't get some of the stuff dumped. It's actually free to dispose of most of it in the local CC dump, some of the electrical stuff will be taken by local electronics stores.

It beggars belief but then my mother in law tells me it happens outside her house where people drive up on lunch to her estate and throw their rubbish out the window at the end.

I just want to taser them, repeatedly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Two of the biggest eye openers I had when I started cycling were

1) we have one really beautiful country. Not just the tourist spots but all over Ireland there are fantastic country lanes with great views that you would never discover or notice in a car.

2) the amount of shameless litter dumping that goes on

Well done lads, won't be joining you as I try and do this as often as I can in my own area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Sound lads for pointers...Ill get onto SDCC and WWCC meself just thought a few lads would be lurking on here..
    You can PM too.

Fair play Smacl I will let it run a few days see if we can get any other volunteers.
    Then I can organise specifics a bit better...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I fairly free at the moment and would love to help out here.
    Spectacularly good idea btw
    Well done

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Great idea - will join you guys if I can, as long as it's a weekend I should be free.

colm18 wrote: »
    Great idea - will join you guys if I can, as long as it's a weekend I should be free.

Has to be weekend for me too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Fair play for the initiative. I'll keep an eye out for some firm dates :)

The amount of fly tipping around the Ballycullen area, bottom of Gunny Hill etc is unbelieveable. Even Stocking lane is riddled.

Spar/Londis bags full of nappies seems quite popular :/

Why people can't just shove them into a bin outside a shop or something is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Al Wright

Brilliant suggestion !

A few of us were walking along Glencullen-Cruagh road last week and noticed large amounts of rubbish dumped, quantities too large to take away in the boot of a car. It was suggested that PUREproject be contacted to organise collection of that and any other rubbish collected.
    If there are enough volunteers (walkers & cyclists) perhaps a large area clean-up could take off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Happy to help out if Im free on the day.
    Great idea, fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Thud

Go on sure, there's a cushion from a leather sofa in the trees at the cruagh end of the military road thats been annoying me for months now. Would have to be a weekend too.

Excellent defo a weekend for me too people...

Fair play for the initiative. I'll keep an eye out for some firm dates :)

The amount of fly tipping around the Ballycullen area, bottom of Gunny Hill etc is unbelieveable. Even Stocking lane is riddled.

Spar/Londis bags full of nappies seems quite popular :/

Why people can't just shove them into a bin outside a shop or something is beyond me.

Seen that Tuesday night heading to the Hell fire club...
    I think that area is well within the range of SDCC to be fair to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If I'm available on the selected date/dates, I'll certainly help out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Great idea, lads. Very admirable idea. I will keep checking this thread; doubtful I can do it as I have other weekend commitments, but outside chance that I will be free when you're doing it.

Just onto SDCC very helpful I have to say...Ive to collect litter pickers and bags from them today.
    I just have to work on getting disposable gloves....any contacts anyone.

Ballycullen is within SDCC's reach we can report back to them but they have a note of it and the cure/pure?? project in Glenasmole as someone mentioned above can take the larger items.

Provisional date maybe March 12th???
    I'll have a look at a closer date while the interest is here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

These packs are available in the larger Tesco stores like Clarehall and Clearwater Finglas (maybe in some other shops too).

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=251673849

• Advertisement

D9Male wrote: »
    These packs are available in the larger Tesco stores like Clarehall and Clearwater Finglas (maybe in some other shops too).

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=251673849

:) Strange I just tried them out yesterday and bust them cleaning the lav....

Ill try get a more industrial job off a crowd I deal with he may sponsor them..;)

http://www.pureproject.ie/

Ive sent an email to these guys too so will report back when i hear from them.
    Fair play to Al right

:) Strange I just tried them out yesterday and bust them cleaning the lav....

Ill try get a more industrial job off a crowd I deal with he may sponsor them..;)

Coal sacks or even skip bags come to mind. March 12th should be ok for me.

https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/see-it-say-it%21/id573916383?mt=8

Pure crowd have an app....Handy to know and can be used on the day for the larger items...
    GPS too...Cool

smacl wrote: »
    Coal sacks or even skip bags come to mind. March 12th should be ok for me.

The skip bags are great empty :D Small ones will be better for lifting cant be having manual handling issues :)
    We've to bear in mind sharps too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Lads. I commend you on your plan.
    Re the Gloves. If you are pulling stuff out of brambles/briars be advised that disposable gloves will give no protection. I would advise you to buy a pair of work gloves in any hardware/garden centre. They will never be idle in any manshed. Disposable gloves inside them.

Spoke with Ian from PURE today very supportive and once we have a date sorted we will agree a collection point and they'll collect the rubbish a day or two later.
    We might even make it an annual event :)

Provisional date maybe March 12th???

Just found out I'm been taken away for my birthday that weekend, weekend before or after would be good, otherwise I'll catch you for the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

The local Authority will give you Bags, Work Gloves, a loan of Shovels, brushes etc, Hi VIs, litter pickers and remove the collected rubbish from an agreed area. Have organised a few of these in my local park and they are very supportive. If available I'll spin over and do a few hours. Great initiative. Maybe something clubs should organise more of around villages and communities we race through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I have an almost full box of latex gloves which may be of use. If I can't make it on the day, I'll arrange to get them to someone who can.

Advertisement