Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few boardsie volunteers for a clean up in Dublin/Wicklow mountains?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Lads March 12th provisional still anyone else available for a few hours??

I am away the weekend before 5th March and not available this weekend.
    i was thinking with the paddys day celebrations not many would be around??
    I am trying to aim to start about 12 so at least we can get a decent cycle in the morning time before.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

OK. I won't know if I can make it until early that week as it will depend on my son's busy sporting calender.

Also, Ireland are playing Italy in the 6 Nations at 1330 on the 12th which might affect turnout......... But there'll never be a 'perfect' day.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

I can do the 12th

crosstownk wrote: »
    OK. I won't know if I can make it until early that week as it will depend on my son's busy sporting calender.

Also, Ireland are playing Italy in the 6 Nations at 1330 on the 12th which might affect turnout......... But there'll never be a 'perfect' day.

Ill put the match on the radio CT ;)

colm18 wrote: »
    I can do the 12th

Grand Colm I'll try aim for a minimum of 4 volunteers on the day I can bring that amount and only one of us drives.

• Advertisement

No other takers on the 12th gents as for just the two of us with Crosstownk to confirm early next week I think it best to reschedule...???

The response from PURE so may as well share the information might encourage another member to bring it into a cycling club......( not too sure about entering a competition as I would like to do it as a gesture but its nots a bad thing if it spreads the word......)

"Good speaking with you the other day.

As mentioned I also run the environmental initiative/competition, The PURE Mile, which aims to foster a greater appreciation and awareness of our country roadscapes by rewarding and acknowledging local community efforts. The competition encourages communities and groups living in rural areas to nominate a mile stretch of road (approx. 1.6 km), and keep this area litter/rubbish free.

This year I am encouraging special interest groups, i.e., walking groups, cyclists, etc., to get involved in the competition by adopting a mile of road in the Wicklow/Dublin Uplands and undertaking litter picks/cleanups - e.g., pick a mile of rural road and do a litter pick/clean up. I think this would interest your group. A number of groups have already signed up.

It's very simple to enter, just fill in your name and contact details on the attached application form and send it back to me. All litter picks and cleanups can be done throughout the year, and this doesn't mean every week, just one or two a year will suffice.

Your group are already interested in doing a clean up and by entering The PURE Mile Competition this would be an additional way of publicising both your group and the work you do to improve the environment.

We will have a prize this year dedicated to groups who Adopt a Mile in The Uplands.

The Awards Night will be held in September/October 2016 at the Brooklodge Hotel, Macreddin and awards and prices are usually presented by the Minister of Environment.

I have attached here the PURE Mile information pack and application form. You can also find out more info and a short film at this link - http://www.pureproject.ie/what-we-do/the-pure-mile/

As mentioned I will arrange for all rubbish/litter collected to be removed and will assist in any way possible.

Please feel free to contact me at anytime and I look forward to hearing from you - all contact details below.

Best

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Thud

I won't know until next week also, sent you a PM

Apologies but unfortunately I won't make the 12th as my wife is away that weekend (she told me about this months ago but typically, I'd forgotten about it :rolleyes: ). So I'll need to look after all the kids stuff that weekend.

I still have that almost full box of latex gloves - if they're needed I can drop them to someone.

Just to give a bit of insight Ive been looking there isnt truck loads of rubbish pockets here there and everywhere to be honest....
    Rough route view point to sally gap, glenmacnass to laragh.....up to the Wicklow gap along the road as far as deemed necessary turn back from the outskirts of roundwood up Lugalla to kippure maybe (ballinasmutton bridge) back up the gap towards powerscourt (single base of a bed on that road) the wall back across to jonny foxes....

Probable list from thread....12th March..... start TBC 10 to 12 duration 4 to 5 hours possibly but definitely day light hours.
    Noble Nudge +1.... ready and waiting
    Colm18...confirmed
    2 seats to fill in my yoke then if someone wants to drive no bother....

Thud...TBC
    Robfowl..TBC
    Unknown soldier...TBC
    Terrydel...TBC
    D9male....TBC
    Al right...tbc
    Grennmat...tbc

Smacl.....not available
    Crosstownk...not available

Ill check in next week. thanks
    lads if anyone knows anyone on the list can you give them a heads up please as i am offline for a few days.
    I will PM everyone next week but if you could PM me your phone numbers easier to group it by some messaging format.
    Sound out

Just going to ring RSA try get some freebie hi Viz stuff for Health and safety reasons...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

D9Male is out, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I might be able to join you on this. I can supply lots of good strong latex gloves, black sacks and maybe some strong work gloves. Great idea!

I might be able to join you on this. I can supply lots of good strong latex gloves, black sacks and maybe some strong work gloves. Great idea!

I have bags and Im working on heavy duty gloves but bring them anyway.
    I got your pm black and amber so ill give lads a few days to confirm as promised,
    Best we have 5 I think but we can go with 3 I suppose.

Ive ordered hi viz from RSA today so hopefully they ll arrive on time if not I have a few anyway.

Any word from any other would be volunteers yet???

To those of you who came back to me thanks and I will ring you'se today or tomorrow and confirm arrangements to suit us all.
    Thinking about the proposed route might just see how time goes.

I'm not chasing people or naming and shaming I'm going to change mode of transport to carry less people and more rubbish ;)

Feck,forgot about this! I'm still on for it and OH might be interested too if there's room in car? She's small ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Otis_taylor2

I can help out as well if you need extra help for Saturday 12th.

colm18 wrote: »
    Feck,forgot about this! I'm still on for it and OH might be interested too if there's room in car? She's small ;-)

Pm me your number Colm

I can help out as well if you need extra help for Saturday 12th.

Otis I'm up to 5 with Colm plus his OH.
    Have you transport? Many hands make light work

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Otis_taylor2

Otis I'm up to 5 with Colm plus his OH.
    Have you transport? Many hands make light work

oh i don't unfortunately, yes transportation will be an issue given. Ah nevermind i think ill pass this time, i'm a bit lazy as well so i don't know if i'll turn up :pac:

Good luck with this! its a great initiative!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

Working this Saturday so can't make it. Weather wise looks great, best of luck.

• Advertisement

Well done lads today...chapeau.
    Didn't realise there was that much rubbish dumped up there!
    Just about covered 2/3 miles from view point up to the border....approx 60 decent sized bags full along with bumpers, chairs, tyres......Oh and one axe!
    Beer/alcohol bottles, plastic drinks bottles, Ronald the famous clowns fast food wrappers and lots of Jonny's got you covered seem to be the most favourite items disposed of if anyone is interested.
    The places were you can actually stop your car and get out to view the lovely scenery seem to be the worst effected places littered.
    We got unlucky and had two very heavily littered black spots which hampered the distance we covered today.
    Plenty of well wishers going by but would be great to go from wishing to picking ;D even for a few hours....
    Will post a future date soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Just about covered 2/3 miles from view point up to the border....approx 60 decent sized bags full along with bumpers, chairs, tyres......Oh and one axe!
    Beer/alcohol bottles, plastic drinks bottles, Ronald the famous clowns fast food wrappers and lots of Jonny's got you covered seem to be the most favourite items disposed of if anyone is interested.
    The places were you can actually stop your car and get out to view the lovely scenery seem to be the worst effected places littered.
    We got unlucky and had two very heavily littered black spots which hampered the distance we covered today.
    Plenty of well wishers going by but would be great to go from wishing to picking ;D even for a few hours....
    Well done all. I passed the route in my spin yesterday and was disgusted to see the littering. If I was a local yokel I would have helped out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Well done to all, something to be proud of.
    Nursing a sick dog this weekend, otherwise Id have joined in the efforts.

Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Yeah great to meet you today. It's only when you do something like that that you get an idea how bad it is. Absolutely disgraceful. Count me in the next time too!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pats22b

was up that way today - i take it the two big piles of bags -one on the right just after the viewing point and one on the left further out are the results of your work- all i can say is fair play -there was some amount of stuff in those two piles and ye made a very noticeable difference to that section of road.

pats22b wrote: »
    was up that way today - i take it the two big piles of bags -one on the right just after the viewing point and one on the left further out are the results of your work- all i can say is fair play -there was some amount of stuff in those two piles and ye made a very noticeable difference to that section of road.

Yeah , that was us.NN has arranged for those bags to be collected on Monday if you were wondering .

Well done to all. I passed some of you and gave a 'Well done Boardsies" shout. I couldn't stop as I had to be back to let herself out for a weekend away and bring the young fella to his hurling training.

Hopefully I'll be able to lend a hand the next time.

Luxman wrote: »
    Well done all. I passed the route in my spin yesterday and was disgusted to see the littering. If I was a local yokel I would have helped out

We had men from Navan, Greystones, Stoneybatter, Tallaght and Dundrum represented yesterday.
    The Dundrum man cycled up and back too. He was in every drain, ditch got cuts and lacerations it didn't stop our Joe. Delighted he even found €15 remember us when you win the lotto.
    I'd say he'd be still out picking only we had to drag him away.... :D great worker.

Infact all the lads did a great job much appreciated. We even had a few good laughs doing it.
    Just to special mention Colm and his natural sheparding techniques ;) has to be the sheep whisperer...
    I'll ask his permission before I post the photo. :D

I'll ask his permission before I post the photo. :D

Stick it up
    (No, that's not what the sheep said) :-P

• Advertisement

Look at that grin :D

Advertisement