Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Accident/phone call

• 16-02-2016 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭

My friend had an unusual phone call after a car accident. About 30 minutes after the accident she had a phone call from supposedly the other drivers insurance company,asking what had happened. Is this possible?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Did they give out the phone number to them? Are they insured by the same insurer? Did your friend give their policy number to the other person?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭horse7

Phone number not given,different insurance companies,policy details exchanged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Were they ever insured by the other parties insurer?

No, I just thought it strange that someone else,s insurance company would call,or even be able to get someone's phone number that quick. I would have thought the insurance companies would communicate with each other, and their own clients.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭omega666

horse7 wrote: »
    No, I just thought it strange that someone else,s insurance company would call,or even be able to get someone's phone number that quick. I would have thought the insurance companies would communicate with each other, and their own clients.

I was in a small accident (other party's fault) a few years ago and we had agreed to handle it outside of insurance.
    The next day i got a call from the other party's insurance company. He had obviously informed them just in case and they rang me asking me what had happened and was i ok, I got the feeling they were just fishing to see i was injured and going to put in a big claim!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Did they just exchange insurance details, or phone numbers as well? It could be that the other person called their insurance company and passed on all details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Let her own insurer handle everything. That's what she pays them for.
    She can probably find info on her insurer's website or just ring and tell them.

This is for Liberty
    https://www.libertyinsurance.ie/blog/hit-from-behind-what-to-do-when-you-have-a-car-accident/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

My friend had an unusual phone call after a car accident. About 30 minutes after the accident she had a phone call from supposedly the other drivers insurance company,asking what had happened. Is this possible?

Ask them for their number and ring them back. I'd be pretty suspect of a call that quick, especially if it was outside office hours. Or just refer them to your insurer, its what you pay them for anyway. I wouldn't get into any details with another insurer on the phone, its all recorded and you could be setting yourself up for a huge fall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Nothing sinister. The other party probably phoned the accident in to their insurer with their version of events. They then rang your friend to hear the other side. If the other person's insurer felt their policyholder was liable, they'll be looking to settle promptly to minimise the loss by arranging repairs, courtesy vehicle etc.

I would be EXTREMELY surprised if the call was anything but courteous and looking to sort things out. They certainly wouldn't be ringing to badger your friend in to accepting responsibility

biko wrote: »

Could Liberty not fix that for their Irish customers? Call 911 and the Police??? State Laws vary???

Shocking insurer to deal with after an accident.

• Advertisement

seagull wrote: »
    Did they just exchange insurance details, or phone numbers as well? It could be that the other person called their insurance company and passed on all details.

No phone numbers exchanged.

ironclaw wrote: »
    Ask them for their number and ring them back. I'd be pretty suspect of a call that quick, especially if it was outside office hours. Or just refer them to your insurer, its what you pay them for anyway. I wouldn't get into any details with another insurer on the phone, its all recorded and you could be setting yourself up for a huge fall.

Call made outside office hours.

No phone numbers exchanged.

Then it is odd

Upon further research it seems the drivers had a common link. They both had a connection to a local school ,and the parents had each other's phone numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

if you're suspicious of any phone call from any agency, just ask them to write to you.

if the person is genuine, they will have your address, and will have no problem doing so.
    if they are dodgy, they might not have your address, and will be reluctant to write.

simples

The suspicion is that the driver rang ,under the pretense that it was the insurance company. Which is probably illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

The suspicion is that the driver rang ,under the pretense that it was the insurance company. Which is probably illegal.

Possibly but its pointless. The evidence is inadmissible as they would need to admit they posed as an insurance company and obtained it under such pretenses. Personally I'd pursue it, it's a serious offence and I'd be making sure it was the insurance company who rang.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Iderown

A possibly related observation.

I don't drive frequently. I don't use my mobile phone a lot. As far as I know, I have told only my wife the phone number.

Last two days I have had spam phone calls (unanswered, of course) to my moblie phone while I was driving. The car, a recent model Ford Fiesta, has a mobile phone detector wired into its audio system.
    The originator of the calls seems to be a UK outfit offering laser vision correction. I'm in the North. I have not had similar spam calls while outside the car or at home.

Any similar reports?

Totally unrelated.

Advertisement