Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2016 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Still having regular bleeding here. Had a scan yesterday and baby is growing well, measuring 9 weeks. It's still anybody's guess as to whether it's all going to work out. I'm supposed to take it easy, no heavy lifting, no exercise and no sex. Taking it easy is a bit hard with a 2 year old and an 8 month old though!!! I'm on Easter holidays at the moment and only just back to work after maternity leave and I'm afraid if the bleeding continues that I'll be signed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭FunkSoulSista

That's tough going, especially with young kids, is your partner helping as much as possible?

Oh he's incredibly hands on. Always has been. I feel bad though as he's working full time and then doing the lions share around here at the moment too. He's telling me not to be silly but still.

That's great, it minimises pressure on you. Hopefully you can relax as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Guestboarder

Hopefully everything calms down for you Roesy. It's great that you have your partner being so supportive too. X
    I'm 9 weeks now and the sickness is finally easing off thank god. The sciatica is in full swing though and agony!! Does anyone have any experience with it and remedies? X

• Advertisement

How's everyone doing? Have scan Monday so will be making our news public after that. Just got offered a new job,torn on whether to tell them I'm pregnant, don't want to start off on the wrong foot walking in with a bump!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Sprites

Hi all, I'm new to this thread. Due 27th October and apart from my initial GP appointment back in February I haven't seen any doctor or midwife yet. Have our first hospital appointment in 7 days when I will be 14 weeks along. If I had realised that I wouldn't be seen till then I would have booked a private scan. Have hardly any symptoms apart from being tired and irritable which does worry me a bit at times! Just looking forward to next weeks appointment so we can see what's going on there!

Very quiet in here. How's everyone doing? I'm officially into the second trimester. Happy days as for a good while I was afraid I wouldn't get this far. Sickness is still present and annoying but definitely decreasing in frequency. Next appointment is in about 3 weeks when I'll be just over 16 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I had my scan last Thursday, all well thankfully. I think we are even more excited this time. I was delighted to hear that they have extended the catchment area for the Domino scheme so I should be able to qualify for it. Just waiting on a phone call. I'm feeling miles better but am also off work for a few weeks and spending lots of time in the garden, which really helps. Second trimester is definitely the golden age of pregnancy!

For those of ye on second or subsequent pregnancies, do you think you are showing earlier? My bump is definitely more noticeable than it was at this stage last time. 2 year old lifted my jumper earlier and said "pumpkin"!

I must be great to be able to relax a little after the first scan. We've only two more days wait till ours and we can hopefully start really looking forward. It's our first so everything is completely new for us. Very lucky not to have had any sickness or nausea, the lack of symptoms did worry me for a while but spoke to my mam and mother in law who both said they had no sickness either.

Bit in the dark about what will actually happen at the appointment on wednesday. Bloods and a scan I presume but is there much done after that?

• Advertisement

Sprites wrote: »

Bit in the dark about what will actually happen at the appointment on wednesday. Bloods and a scan I presume but is there much done after that?

Assuming it'll be the same as mine, first you have your ultrasound. Then back to the reception desk and you'll be sent to the waiting area to wait for your appointment with the midwife. The midwife will take loads of personal details, medical history etc and he/she will check urine, blood pressure, weight and height. My bloods weren't checked, they had been checked by the GP back around 5 weeks. Maybe yours will be. They explain a bit about what to expect after the birth, e.g. skin to skin, delayed chord clamping establishing feeding. You'll get a magazine and other leaflets. It's a good time to ask questions about the whole thing. After that, you're done.

Best of luck!

livinsane wrote: »
    I had my scan last Thursday, all well thankfully. I think we are even more excited this time. I was delighted to hear that they have extended the catchment area for the Domino scheme so I should be able to qualify for it. Just waiting on a phone call. I'm feeling miles better but am also off work for a few weeks and spending lots of time in the garden, which really helps. Second trimester is definitely the golden age of pregnancy!

For those of ye on second or subsequent pregnancies, do you think you are showing earlier? My bump is definitely more noticeable than it was at this stage last time. 2 year old lifted my jumper earlier and said "pumpkin"!

I had a lot of bloating around 10/11 weeks and looked more pregnant than I did at around 18 weeks last time. The bloating has gone down a good but during the day, I just look chunkier but at night I look like I have a proper bump. When are due? Might be a Halloween baby, pumpkin could be the most apt nickname ever :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Roesy wrote: »
    I had a lot of bloating around 10/11 weeks and looked more pregnant than I did at around 18 weeks last time. The bloating has gone down a good but during the day, I just look chunkier but at night I look like I have a proper bump. When are due? Might be a Halloween baby, pumpkin could be the most apt nickname ever :)

A friend of mine was due 31st October, they jokingly called the bump Casper, but ended up using it as his real name when he was born! :)

Booking appointment went really well, midwife was happy with the size of the baby and it was great for us to finally see something, I know it's cliché but it definitely makes it real!!

I'm 14 weeks and not really showing at all, but this is first pregnancy. I am, however, gaining a nice bit if weight. Definitely being too good to myself! Need to keep an eye on that lol!

Could very well be a Halloween baby! Scan says due date is 23rd, 27th if going from last period.

I got a call about the Domino Scheme today and am signing up for it. Really want my labour to go differently this time.

Im thinking about doing a Gentlebirth workshop. I read about it last time but couldn't find much reliable info on the net, apart from promotive stuff, and it put me off it but I've joined the FB group and am reading real stories from actual mothers who I know from other groups and I think it would a good experience. What strikes me from reading the birth stories of those who've done the programme is how prepared they were for the labour. I thought I was prepared at the time, but I totally wasn't! I could have handled my early labour so much better and have made it more of a positive experience. My biggest priority last time was the breastfeeding which thankfully was a success so this time I want to completely focus on the labour.

Has anyone got a masterplan they want to share?!

livinsane wrote: »
    Could very well be a Halloween baby! Scan says due date is 23rd, 27th if going from last period.

I got a call about the Domino Scheme today and am signing up for it. Really want my labour to go differently this time.

Im thinking about doing a Gentlebirth workshop. I read about it last time but couldn't find much reliable info on the net, apart from promotive stuff, and it put me off it but I've joined the FB group and am reading real stories from actual mothers who I know from other groups and I think it would a good experience. What strikes me from reading the birth stories of those who've done the programme is how prepared they were for the labour. I thought I was prepared at the time, but I totally wasn't! I could have handled my early labour so much better and have made it more of a positive experience. My biggest priority last time was the breastfeeding which thankfully was a success so this time I want to completely focus on the labour.

Has anyone got a masterplan they want to share?!

I listened to gentlebirth before my last baby but it drove me mad on the day!! Just couldn't get in the zone. I think because it was another induction and this time my induction was started in the delivery suite so there was no labouring by myself in my hospital room for hours after being told I was only having gel pains and not in labour :D Maybe doing the workshop would have helped. the good thing about that labour was there was nobody annoying me with traces and checks and stuff so I could pace to my hearts content and jump in and out of the shower 5 million times. My master plan this time is to not get induced!!! Reckon its probably my last baby so I'd like to experience a non induced labour.

I listened to gentlebirth before my last baby but it drove me mad on the day!! Just couldn't get in the zone. I think because it was another induction and this time my induction was started in the delivery suite so there was no labouring by myself in my hospital room for hours after being told I was only having gel pains and not in labour :D Maybe doing the workshop would have helped. the good thing about that labour was there was nobody annoying me with traces and checks and stuff so I could pace to my hearts content and jump in and out of the shower 5 million times. My master plan this time is to not get induced!!! Reckon its probably my last baby so I'd like to experience a non induced labour.

I was booked in for induction last time but went naturally a few days before. Hopefully you'll have the same this time. I was in the hospital way too early though and ended up going through all my early labour at night in a ward with three sleeping women. It was horrible. I really wanted to shower but was afraid of waking someone. Definitely made the pain seem worse because I was so uncomfortable in my surroundings. I was hoping to labour in the pool but after an internal exam, I had a bleed and then wasn't permitted to use the pool. Labour was so long that I am thinking the gentlebirth tracks might have been a distraction but I've considered that they may be irritating also. Im finding them very soothing at the moment and great for getting me to sleep. Last time I dismissed anything that was described as "a distraction" (including tens machine) but having gone through it, distraction was exactly what I needed. Listening to music didn't cut it. The birthing ball was an absolute lifesaver though. I was sitting on it for over 12 hours straight. I am preparing myself for it to take as long this time but hopefully things will be faster!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭cornflake1

Anybody started feeling any movement yet?

Yes, felt it for the first time at 14 weeks (much earlier this time - was 17 weeks last time) and now it is very regular and noticeable (17 weeks now). It's lovely. How about you?

It's very quiet in here and I'm assuming/hoping it's because everyone is feeling well!

Nothing here yet apart from the odd twinge which is getting more frequent though.
    My sister in law is 14 week's and she seems to be having it all - movement, sickness and quite a noticeable bump already whereas I neither look nor feel pregnant yet!!

• Advertisement

Hi all,

I am 16 weeks and started feeling movement at 15 weeks. I have a pretty big bump too but wasn't even showing at this stage on my first so it's true you pop sooner on the second! Along with the movement I also feel quite tight (almost like when I was 8 months last time and felt as if baba was getting too big for in there) so not sure if I have a big baba or if it's just a stretching stage. I was feeling nothing at this time with last baba so it's all new!

I have a consultant apt next week, I am hoping to do midwife led care but they have to send me to consultant as I am underweight (have always been small and petite) it wasn't an issue last time and he discharged me from consultancy so will prob do the same this time, I'm just wondering though, have any of you had a consultant apt and if so did he/she do a scan at it? I can't remember if they did at my last one??

My 20 week scan isn't until next month so not sure if my partner needs to come to this one (would like him there if I was getting scanned) but otherwise there'd be no need.
    Let me know xx
    Thanks! X

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭cornflake1

It's my first baby and I'm 18 weeks and no movement yet. Looking out for the flutters but not picking up anything. Bump growing away though. My partner didn't come to my last scan but will come to the anomaly. He did come to the first early scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

20 weeks on Wednesday with second baby and I've been feeling movement for two weeks, wriggles and kicks. It's just as alarming as it was the first time. Forgot how comforting it is. I have my 20 weeks scan next week, so excited to see how big it has got!

Starting to feel a little more human now, I've been sitting exams for the past few weeks so been like a zombie. Just had a new hair style, really cheered me up. In terms of bump I am huge! :-D

Third baby here. Heading for 17 weeks and feeling the odd squiggle here and there. Had an anterior placenta with other two but still felt a first flutter around 14 weeks last time then nothing for a couple of more weeks. Looking forward to feeling stronger, more consistent movement so hopefully placenta isn't anterior this time.

Hi all,

I know it's early to be monitoring movements but I have been feeling strong movements for over a week now and today I haven't felt anything. Is it too early to worry about a drop in movement? I'm 16&1/2 weeks??

Hi all,

I know it's early to be monitoring movements but I have been feeling strong movements for over a week now and today I haven't felt anything. Is it too early to worry about a drop in movement? I'm 16&1/2 weeks??

I'm 16+6d and haven't felt movement at all yet. Just from what I've read the baby is still quite small so I'm not worrying about not feeling movement from something so tiny.

Could be taking a break from all the wriggling around done last week :-)

Sure if you're worrying a lot call your doctor, I'm sure they have these queries regularly

Sprites wrote: »
    I'm 16+6d and haven't felt movement at all yet. Just from what I've read the baby is still quite small so I'm not worrying about not feeling movement from something so tiny.

Could be taking a break from all the wriggling around done last week :-)

Sure if you're worrying a lot call your doctor, I'm sure they have these queries regularly

Thanks X
    I googled it and see it can be quite normal at that stage for baba to have quiet days. It's just that the movements had been quite strong so to be so quiet after that was alarming. I'll wait it out and see if baba gets going again.
    I think I'm feeling it so early because it's the second baba and also because I am quite slim which I believe makes the movements more obvious. It's crazy that baba is so small, it felt huge in there with what I was feeling!! 😂

The leg cramps at night have started. Agghhhh!

Had my anomaly scan today. All is great with baby, so incredible to see blood pumping into the four chambers of the heart! Found out we're having another girleen. Big sister is over the moon!

Baby is breech and placenta covering cervix but I'm more than likely going to have an elective section due to previous horrific labour and back injury anyway.

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Midwife told me today that it isn't until 24 weeks that they expect you to feel 10 movements a day. I have days were baby is crazy and quiet days and I was very Ill last week with a kidney and gum infection, I was told not to worry. I'm 21 weeks. I don't think I really felt anything at 16.

Advertisement