Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2016 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭cornflake1

March 11, that must have been so scary. Glad you are being looked after, hope you are able to get back home soon.

Sprites, glad you're feeling better now.

Getting the whooping cough injection at my next GP visit. Was up and down about it but after talking it out with my partner and taking advice from a doctor in the family and another GP I'm going to go ahead with it. I've always been pro vaccination and the baby will be getting the full suite when born, but I just felt a bit worried about getting the jab while the baby was still growing inside me.

Does anybody else feel like they urgently need to go to the loo all the time? I can never stray too far from somewhere with a toilet, even though half the time it's a false alarm!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

March11 wow you've had a rough time, I hope all is well now, scary thing being pregnant!

Cornflake1 yup sometimes baby leaps on bladder and it feels like you urgently need to pee! - assume it will get worse as baby gets bigger - another thing to look forward too!!;)
    Also getting so hot all the time, anyone else? - was in the cinema last night and was sweating buckets it was like a sauna, was glad when the film was over, baby was also active and jumping on bladder again, must have been all the loud noises!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Tardis

Hi ladies. My gf is 8 weeks and will be getting a letter about her scan in the post soon. As we want to keep it quiet till 12 weeks can anyone tell me if the envelope has anything on it to identify that it's from the coombe?

March11 wow you've had a rough time, I hope all is well now, scary thing being pregnant!

Cornflake1 yup sometimes baby leaps on bladder and it feels like you urgently need to pee! - assume it will get worse as baby gets bigger - another thing to look forward too!!;)
    Also getting so hot all the time, anyone else? - was in the cinema last night and was sweating buckets it was like a sauna, was glad when the film was over, baby was also active and jumping on bladder again, must have been all the loud noises!

Haven't been feeling the heat thing at all! People keep asking me how I'm coping in the muggy weather and I have to tell them I find it the same as I would have before being pregnant. People also keep asking me about cravings and I have none. I almost feel like I should make up one!

Tardis, I'm afraid I don't know what kind of letters the Coombe send out. I'd imagine that any medical correspondence from anywhere should be discreet by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Tardis wrote: »
    Hi ladies. My gf is 8 weeks and will be getting a letter about her scan in the post soon. As we want to keep it quiet till 12 weeks can anyone tell me if the envelope has anything on it to identify that it's from the coombe?

Don't know about the Coombe but I think my scan letters had HSE stamped on the envelope but nothing specific about where they were coming from so it could be related to anything medical.

• Advertisement

Boots have good deals at the moment if anyone wants to pick up a few bits for the hospital bag. I got Multimam compresses at €9.99 for 12. They normally retail around €15.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Sprites

Hi all, hope everyome is well.

Has anyone completed their applicat ion for matermite benefit yet? Did you have your GP fill out the necessary parts or is it done by your consultant in the hospital?

Has anyone completed their applicat ion for matermite benefit yet? Did you have your GP fill out the necessary parts or is it done by your consultant in the hospital?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

Sprites wrote: »

Sent mine in a couple of weeks ago and got confirmation that it had been received. I got my consultant to sign it - takes two seconds. Last time around I think my GP did it for me as I was on the Domino scheme.

xalot wrote: »
    Sent mine in a couple of weeks ago and got confirmation that it had been received. I got my consultant to sign it - takes two seconds. Last time around I think my GP did it for me as I was on the Domino scheme.

Thanks xalot,

I have a hospital appointment tomorrow afternoon so I'll take the form with me.

How much time does everyone plan to to take before their due date? I'm due the 28th October so the latest I can finish is the 14th, I'm hoping to work till that date.

• Advertisement

I'm due the 16th, which was the date set way back at the booking scan. However my anomaly scan had the 18th which is a Tuesday. My consultant asked me what due date I would like to put on the form so I went with the 18th as based on my mother and sister I expect to go over anyway.

I want to go as close as I can to the end so using the rule of commencing maternity leave on the Monday prior to the week in which the baby is due, I wanted to start the maternity leave on Monday 10th. However HR changed it to starting on Thursday 6th. So I didn't bother arguing and went with that.

cornflake1 wrote: »
    I'm due the 16th, which was the date set way back at the booking scan. However my anomaly scan had the 18th which is a Tuesday. My consultant asked me what due date I would like to put on the form so I went with the 18th as based on my mother and sister I expect to go over anyway.

I want to go as close as I can to the end so using the rule of commencing maternity leave on the Monday prior to the week in which the baby is due, I wanted to start the maternity leave on Monday 10th. However HR changed it to starting on Thursday 6th. So I didn't bother arguing and went with that.

Yes, if I can get the doctor to push the due date out by 3 days then I could finish on the 21st but I don't know is that a bit optimistic. I do want to leave it as late as possible.

Another question! Did anyone's partner go with them to the 28 wk hospital checkup? I'm pretty sure there's no scan but he still wants to come. Just worried he'll be bored out there and id be better off on my own!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

Did anyone's partner go with them to the 28 wk hospital checkup? I'm pretty sure there's no scan but he still wants to come. Just worried he'll be bored out there and id be better off on my own!!

No, my husband just came to the 21 week scan with me, after that I'm happy to go by myself but if your other half wants to come I'd let him, he'll get to hear the heart beat at the very least. It's nice to include them in the process if they're interested. This is our second so the novelty factor has well worn off!

I'm officially due the 4th November but hoping for a section on the 28th so I've put the 24th October as my leaving date for maternity leave but I'll probably take a couple of days annual leave before that. My job doesn't require much moving around, and I can work from home so I think I'll leave it as late as possible. Last time I went 2 weeks over so I had over a month off before the baby came, was going stir crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Must start sorting my maternity leave stuff. I'm due the 27th so I'll aim to finish two weeks before that. I've a little girl who turns 3 in November and a 13 month old so I'll be hoping to use those 2 weeks to rest!! Never had to do the GTT with my other two but had to do it this time. Just after the lucozade and first lot of bloods. Starving!!! Had a scan there though and baby looks great with a current weight estimate of 3lb at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭FunkSoulSista

Baba is due 31st so starting maternity leave on 17th, looking forward to finishing work. How is everyone feeling? Not sleeping great uncomfortable at night hip pain, have maternity pillow but still never comfy. Anyone sorted hospital bag etc. yet?!

Baba is due 31st so starting maternity leave on 17th, looking forward to finishing work. How is everyone feeling? Not sleeping great uncomfortable at night hip pain, have maternity pillow but still never comfy. Anyone sorted hospital bag etc. yet?!

I'm starting to feel exhausted again this week, was doing great in work but have begun really looking forward to finishing up this week! Seeing my GP on Tuesday so I'll decide on my finish date then.

Sleeping OK but the last couple of nights I've gotten leg cramps which are so painful! Going to up the water intake to see if that helps.

Haven't sorted the hospital bag yet but going to dig out the list they gave me at my first appointment and pick up the stuff that I'll need, nightdresses, massive underwear, maternity pads etc

Picking up our car seat and base today also, Smyth's are offering €50 off when you purchase the Maxi Cosi Cabriofix Group 0 seat and Base together which is a great offer if anyone is needing a new car seat.

My MIL is insisting that I don't store any of what we buy for the baby in our house as it's "bad luck", anyone heard of this superstition?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

I've been knackered too, cramp in my hip at night and the sticky heat not been helping at all, could hardly keep my eyes open all week as just could not sleep, I think I'd overheat in the Arctic! Had my GTT at the beginning of the week and the whooping cough vaccine so was filled with needles at GPs, so not much fun but all was well except my iron level is a bit on the low side of normal, good excuse to eat a pile of steak and broccoli!:D

Haven't got anything sorted hospital bag wise except I did buy some giant nightdress t shirt things in penny's as well as a dressing gown and some pj bottoms and tops, just need the giant knickers and some slippers I think clothes wise - although could probably do with some giant knickers now as mine are annoying me, bump has gotten a lot bigger in the last couple of weeks, all my tops look like crop tops on me - sigh!!:D Pads and toiletries are on my to buy list, haven't got around to any of the big stuff yet, am still saving the pennies!:(

Sprites I had heard a few of friends mothers say they were always told not to have baby stuff in the house too - weird!

Sleeping OK but the last couple of nights I've gotten leg cramps which are so painful! Going to up the water intake to see if that helps.

I've learned the secret to killing the leg cramp as it begins! Just put hard pressure on the sole of your foot, so bend your leg and press down on the mattress or the floor.

I've bought most things for my bag. Im in the Domino scheme at the moment and can get discharged from hospital between 6 and 12 hours after the birth once it's intervention free. Assuming nothing changes in the meantime, I'll pack for a short stay and leave extra in the car. Fingers crossed I wont need extra.

Labour bag

Nightdress x 2
    Flip flops
    Tens machine
    Tablet and earphones
    Snacks and water bottle
    Facecloth
    Aromatherapy oils - have lavender and eucalyptus which I love and going to try putting some on the facecloth as a distraction
    Hot water bottle - had all lower back pain on my last labour and the hot water bottle really helped
    Sanitary towels and underwear
    Vaseline - for putting on baby's bum before first nappy as it helps to stop the meconium from sticking. Good for keeping your own lips from drying out which can happen with the gas and air
    Waterwipes
    Baby outfit and 2 nappies in a ziplock freezer bag - great tip I picked up here for keeping everything together

Ward Bag

Plastic bags for taking laundry home
    Breast pads, nipple balm and multimam compresses
    Nightdress or pjs and socks
    Hairbrush and face mosturiser
    Toothbrush and paste
    Home outfit for me
    2 x babygros and vests and a warm outfit incl hat and blanket for going home
    Nappies x 6
    Muslin x 2

Probably missing something really obvious! Cant remember if the hospital provides towels for the shower? Oh I'll bring my ID incase we can register the birth before we go home.

livinsane wrote: »
    I've learned the secret to killing the leg cramp as it begins! Just put hard pressure on the sole of your foot, so bend your leg and press down on the mattress or the floor.

I've bought most things for my bag. Im in the Domino scheme at the moment and can get discharged from hospital between 6 and 12 hours after the birth once it's intervention free. Assuming nothing changes in the meantime, I'll pack for a short stay and leave extra in the car. Fingers crossed I wont need extra.

Labour bag

Nightdress x 2
    Flip flops
    Tens machine
    Tablet and earphones
    Snacks and water bottle
    Facecloth
    Aromatherapy oils - have lavender and eucalyptus which I love and going to try putting some on the facecloth as a distraction
    Hot water bottle - had all lower back pain on my last labour and the hot water bottle really helped
    Vaseline - for putting on baby's bum before first nappy as it helps to stop the meconium from sticking. Good for keeping your own lips from drying out which can happen with the gas and air
    Waterwipes
    Baby outfit and 2 nappies in a ziplock freezer bag - great tip I picked up here for keeping everything together

Ward Bag

Plastic bags for taking laundry home
    Breast pads, nipple balm and multimam compresses
    Nightdress or pjs and socks
    Hairbrush and face mosturiser
    Toothbrush and paste
    Home outfit for me
    2 x babygros and vests and a warm outfit incl hat and blanket for going home
    Nappies x 6
    Muslin x 2

Probably missing something really obvious! Cant remember if the hospital provides towels for the shower? Oh I'll bring my ID incase we can register the birth before we go home.

You are so organised! 9 and a bit weeks to go here and I haven't done a bit. Am back to work are summer holidays next week too. You're in CUMH too? They don't provide towels. I see you have a hot water bottle in your labour bag. Did they fill that for you last time? When I was induced on my first I was labouring mostly up on the ward and mostly feeling it in my back. They told me they couldn't fill me a hot water bottle for some reason so I didn't even bother bringing one the last time. Spent the whole night hopping in and out of the shower.

Roesy wrote: »
    You are so organised! 9 and a bit weeks to go here and I haven't done a bit. Am back to work are summer holidays next week too. You're in CUMH too? They don't provide towels. I see you have a hot water bottle in your labour bag. Did they fill that for you last time? When I was induced on my first I was labouring mostly up on the ward and mostly feeling it in my back. They told me they couldn't fill me a hot water bottle for some reason so I didn't even bother bringing one the last time. Spent the whole night hopping in and out of the shower.

I'm in CUMH too and similarly to you, I was in the hospital for most of the labour (my own mistake - I swear even if I risk having the baby at home, I am not going near the hospital this time until I am fit to drop!). I was too afraid to use the shower because the other women in the ward were sleeping - big regret on my part! The girl on the night desk did fill my water bottle but I was waiting a long time to get it back. That's a pity you weren't able to use it, it really helped the back pain. I wasn't expecting the back pain last time, so many people told me it'd be like intense period cramps, so wasn't sure how to handle it. I've since learned being on all fours can really help or leaning against the birthing ball.

• Advertisement

livinsane wrote: »
    I'm in CUMH too and similarly to you, I was in the hospital for most of the labour (my own mistake - I swear even if I risk having the baby at home, I am not going near the hospital this time until I am fit to drop!). I was too afraid to use the shower because the other women in the ward were sleeping - big regret on my part! The girl on the night desk did fill my water bottle but I was waiting a long time to get it back. That's a pity you weren't able to use it, it really helped the back pain. I wasn't expecting the back pain last time, so many people told me it'd be like intense period cramps, so wasn't sure how to handle it. I've since learned being on all fours can really help or leaning against the birthing ball.

I've had two inductions now so I'll be pleasantly surprised if go naturally this time. Have been told to come in pretty sharpish if I do start myself though because I've had two fast enough labours. I did Pilates all the way through with both and a bit this time and I definitely found all fours and cat or child's pose definitely helped when the back pain got bad. Will pack a hot water bottle this time. Thanks for the tip! As for the shower, luckily I was in a room by myself for my first. The induction room was busy on my second so they started me in the delivery room for my second. They do have a bath up in the ward floors too. Would love to use the pool but if induced you can't.

Roesy wrote: »
    I've had two inductions now so I'll be pleasantly surprised if go naturally this time. Have been told to come in pretty sharpish if I do start myself though because I've had two fast enough labours. I did Pilates all the way through with both and a bit this time and I definitely found all fours and cat or child's pose definitely helped when the back pain got bad. Will pack a hot water bottle this time. Thanks for the tip! As for the shower, luckily I was in a room by myself for my first. The induction room was busy on my second so they started me in the delivery room for my second. They do have a bath up in the ward floors too. Would love to use the pool but if induced you can't.

Oh the child's pose would be nice too, must remember that. I was hoping to use the pool last time but bled after an examination and wasn't allowed then. God I'm excited and half terrified wondering how things will go this time! Ive heard a lot of people talk about the unpredictable third birth so I'll be looking forward to your birth story! I'm preparing myself for a long labour and anything less will be a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Guestboarder

Hi all,

Great to hear you are all doing well, aside from the dreaded tiredness and lack of energy of course, but not long left now for us all!

I too have done NO preparation! We sold a lot of our stuff last time as we were renting and didnt have room to store it so have to get a lot of stuff again! Buggy, car seat, cot bed etc.....going to get as much as possible second hand though, I have learned from last time that I dont need everything and it certainly doesmt need to be brand new! well not the buggies etc...

How are all the low placentas doing?? Any update?? I had an unexpected scan at 28wks as I was concerned about babies movements, but they checked my placenta and it was still low, it needs to move 2cm by the 34wk scan (in 4 weeks time) so im anxious!! I had a natural birth last time and DEFO dont want a ceasarian, especially as i have a toddler! Im anxious ill be that 1 in 10 women who's placenta doesnt move by itself in time!!
    Fingers crossed!!!

I am bigger this time so really feeling it now and as my placenta in behind this time im REALLY feeling the kicks!! some are almost painful!! haha

Getting excited to meet our little man but also feeling so guilty and nervous for my little girl, such a HUGE adjustment for her!!

xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Guestboarder

Hi all,

Great to hear you are all doing well, aside from the dreaded tiredness and lack of energy of course, but not long left now for us all!

I too have done NO preparation! We sold a lot of our stuff last time as we were renting and didnt have room to store it so have to get a lot of stuff again! Buggy, car seat, cot bed etc.....going to get as much as possible second hand though, I have learned from last time that I dont need everything and it certainly doesmt need to be brand new! well not the buggies etc...

How are all the low placentas doing?? Any update?? I had an unexpected scan at 28wks as I was concerned about babies movements, but they checked my placenta and it was still low, it needs to move 2cm by the 34wk scan (in 4 weeks time) so im anxious!! I had a natural birth last time and DEFO dont want a ceasarian, especially as i have a toddler! Im anxious ill be that 1 in 10 women who's placenta doesnt move by itself in time!!
    Fingers crossed!!!

I am bigger this time so really feeling it now and as my placenta in behind this time im REALLY feeling the kicks!! some are almost painful!! haha

Getting excited to meet our little man but also feeling so guilty and nervous for my little girl, such a HUGE adjustment for her!!

xxx

I am also trying to figure out the gentlest way to introduce her to her new sibling so would love to hear from you second or third time mummies who have experienced it or are about to and have a plan :-) xxx

I am also trying to figure out the gentlest way to introduce her to her new sibling so would love to hear from you second or third time mummies who have experienced it or are about to and have a plan :-) xxx

What's your age gap guestboarder? There were 20 months between no.1 and 2 here. To prepare no.1 we waited until she started noticing the bump and talked about the baby in there and being gentle. We also got a Princess Polly book 'I'm a big sister' and read that a good bit before the arrival. It's fairly simple but she enjoyed it. We'll get something a bit more complex this time. We got her a small present from the baby for when she visited in the hospital and made sure to time her visit so that I wasn't feeding or holding the baby when she came in. We let her 'find her' herself. The first few weeks were hard and we tried to make sure she got plenty of attention and 1:1 time with us still. I'm dreading it this time because there'll only be 16 months between 2 and 3 and the princess polly book and presents for the baby will be a bit over her head.

Hi all,

Fingers crossed!!!

xxx

Had a scan at 28 weeks and the placenta was still low. Had another today at 32 and it has moved a small bit. The doctor said it may just be enough but I have to go to the hospital for a transvaginal ultrasound at 34 weeks to tell for sure. Sounds like that will be great craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭March11

I had low placenta at 20 week scan, ended up haemorrhaging at 27+1 as I posted previously. First bleed needed blood transfusions, 2nd bleed Landed me back in hospital so have spent 3 weeks in hospital. Have complete previa, am 32 weeks tomorrow. Have to have sectoon under general

cornflake1 wrote: »
    Had a scan at 28 weeks and the placenta was still low. Had another today at 32 and it has moved a small bit. The doctor said it may just be enough but I have to go to the hospital for a transvaginal ultrasound at 34 weeks to tell for sure. Sounds like that will be great craic!

Ha ha not a really enticing name. Best of luck with it.

My first will turn 3 a few weeks before I'm due so I'm hoping the age gap will make things easier. Yesterday we were watching videos of chickens hatching from eggs and he liked that anyway! I bought two really nice books "Waiting for Baby" and "My New Baby" and got "There's a House Inside My Mummy" from the library. He likes reading them so I'm hoping its making the connection between the big belly and the baby. He seems to think that babies are either crying or sleeping (nursery rhymes and advertising to blame!). He's obsessed with the bump, but likes to slap it, not in an aggressive way but when he's cuddling up or going to sleep. He's still nursing and seems to be increasing the frequency lately and I think the tandem feeding will be a blessing and a curse. I'm on the lookout for a new couch that is big enough for us all to cuddle up on! I'll get a small present for baby to give him and I'll have the baby in a sling for the most part in the early days so I'm hoping it will ease the transition as I'll have better mobility. For the most part, I'm really looking forward to seeing how they'll interact.

Hi, how's everyone doing?

I'm finding that the weeks are just flying by! Time to get going on the shopping I suppose lol!

Trying to figure out what the absolute essentials are as regards equipment for when we first get home with the baby.

What I have on my list so far is:
    - somewhere for the baby to sleep, thinking of getting the Chicco Next2Me but also have been offered a loan of a moses basket
    - baby bath
    - Car seat and Base
    - Bouncer

Would anyone add or take anything off that list?

• Advertisement

Hi, how's everyone doing?

I'm finding that the weeks are just flying by! Time to get going on the shopping I suppose lol!

Trying to figure out what the absolute essentials are as regards equipment for when we first get home with the baby.

What I have on my list so far is:
    - somewhere for the baby to sleep, thinking of getting the Chicco Next2Me but also have been offered a loan of a moses basket
    - baby bath
    - Car seat and Base
    - Bouncer

Would anyone add or take anything off that list?

I think that's a good list. You'll want somewhere to put the baby down when not in bed so the moses basket or bouncer will cover that. I didn't use the moses basket but that's because I got hold of a great rocking crib that had been passed around the family for over 10 years. But to be fair, he ended up in my arms or in a sling a lot of the time.

On that note, it's as important to have the house set up for you (in your new fragile condition!) as well as for baby. Get a comfy spot set up for yourself with a table so you can keep food/drink/tv remove/book at hand. It's nice to sit down with the baby in arms and be able to put the feet up and not have to move for a while. I'm on the lookout for a new sofa bed and am planning on temporarily having a bed set up in the living room so when the toddler drags us downstairs at 7am, we can all set up camp downstairs!

Just for an alternative on the Chicco crib, I got a co-sleeper cot on http://stubenwagen.de/baby-furniture/bedside-cots.html for a very good price. It's a german site that was recommended on here before. It's a great size, very easy to attach and we only stopped using it when the baby got so active that he'd have been able to roll on to the bed and potentially get around the side. I got the basic version, which only has three sides but the other versions have a removable fourth side.

Advertisement