Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2016 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Sprites wrote: »
    What I have on my list so far is:
    - somewhere for the baby to sleep, thinking of getting the Chicco Next2Me but also have been offered a loan of a moses basket
    - baby bath
    - Car seat and Base
    - Bouncer

Would anyone add or take anything off that list?

If you have any suspicion that your baby will be long, I'd get the Next2Me rather than use a moses basket. My 5 month old is in the 99th percentile for length and he does still fit in it, we'll be moving him into a full size cot in the next month or so. He was really filling out the moses basket in my mum's house at 12 weeks when we were visiting in June.

Do you have a pram/travel system ordered? If you plan on using your car seat on the buggy frame do make sure it's compatible and that you have the adaptors if they are needed.

Bouncer isn't essential but can be a nice-to-have for somewhere to put the little one down but they can still look around.

I would add some sort of carrier/wrap/sling to the list - there are times when they are absolutely great, a stretchy wrap is fantastic for being able to get stuff done when you've got a total velcro baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Sprites

Hi all! Had hospital appointment today at 32 +4 and got an unexpected, brief scan which was nice :-) baby is measuring right for the dates and the low placenta is now nice and high :-)

On the downside, baby is in the transverse position, not going to worry too much at this stage bit really hope it moves to head down.

Also, while walking my dogs on Sunday i managed to fall and twist my ankle. Still bruised and swollen and the midwife i spoke to said she would get the doctor to have a look but when I saw the doctor they said if I was concerned I should go to A & E, they weren't able to do anything about it.

So stuck trying to decide if it's gotten any better since Sunday and can I avoid a day in A & E after spending a half day in hospital today :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

Sprites hope your ankle gets better, lots of rest and ice packs are the way to go with sprains and bruising, not much else you can do really, good excuse to have a chill out with your feet up though!:D

I had my 32 +6 check up at cork yesterday, the usual hours of waiting - so much for my theory of getting there extra early!! I was worried my placenta was still low, but as baby has moved head down now it looks like his head is below it thank goodness, although am getting a more detailed scan, as this was only a quick one done by a doctor, at 36 weeks so fingers crossed she was right!:). Everything else was fine though, but after trundling round cork yesterday for a bit after check up my hips and lower back seem to have seized up, had cramp in alsorts of weird places in my right leg all last night, could have qualified for the institute of weird walks trying to get rid of them!!
    Have car seat bought and hospital bag packed now but still nothing else sorted! Is anyone else starting to feel in a bit of a flap over wether they have everything ready or not, or is it just me!?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭cornflake1

Had a scan today and my placenta has moved so full steam ahead for a natural delivery! Felt a bit in limbo before that so went a bit mad shopping and have nearly all the bits for both the baby bag and my bag. Just need some nightdresses. Spotted some in Penneys that look nice enough. There's loads of baby stuff on sale in Tesco at the moment like Pampers buy 1 get 1 free. Think it's just lasting the weekend. Handing out some free stuff too, like sample Fairy non-bio tabs. Other things like milk for toddlers but it's a bit early for that for me anyway! Apparently they're having some sort of baby event on Saturday.

Sprites hope your ankle gets better soon. Rest as much as you can.

Bunnyslippers I'm starting to feel a little like an old one walking around these days. Really starting to slow down. 6 weeks to go for me!

Am fed up with looking like a penguin that's swallowed a bucket now, just can't wait to meet the little bladder basher!! - why does he always have to wait until I'm mid conversation then stretch his legs and head butt my bladder?!:p
    Six weeks for me too now with any luck, more than likely 8!:rolleyes:
    Am starting to feel a tiny bit more organised, have idiot proofed my delivery and ward bag with everything in labeled zip lock baggies for OH so he knows what's a vest and what's a sleep suit just incase I have a c section and can't rummage!;)

How's everyone else doing? How's your ankle Sprites?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

6 weeks to go here too. Im feeling fantastic, almost too good to be true. Well I have a headcold at the moment and so does the 2 year old so very tired the last few days but I was much more uncomfortable at this stage last time. I actually don't know how this poor baby has had a chance to grow at all with the gymnastics the toddler has me doing. He wants me to race him on his sit & rides, lift him up endlessly so he can see over the garden fence if someone is cutting the grass, rescue him from high places in the playground...

I am repairing the elastics on the cloth nappies at the moment and on the lookout for newborn ones. Might rent the newborn pack from the cloth nappy library like I did last time. If anyone is considering cloth nappies, I totally recommend them.

It will get very exciting on this thread over the next few weeks hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

Has anybody got received confirmation letter from the Maternity section of Social Welfare. I got a letter saying my application had been received and they would be in touch to confirm that I would receive the payment, that was two months ago and I need the letter so that I can sort out my top up through work....

Ankle is OK Bunnyslippers thanks, it was just a bad sprain, nothing broken thank god!!

I sent off my MB10 application on 30th August and have received nothing yet. Hoping that they received it and I'll get an acknowledgment soon. Maybe give them a call xalot to see what stage your application is at.

Was supposed to have an antenatal class tomorrow but only got told at 3.30 today it's been cancelled. Really annoyed as I had taken a day off for it and now need to take another for when they have rescheduled. Can't go for another 2 weeks and feel like that's leaving it late having it that close to due date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

My mat leave is due to start on the 8th of October. I hadn't heard anything either so I rang today and they said they hoped to be getting to applications for that time period at the end of this week. Never remember it taking this long with my other two.

My maternity leave due to start on the 6th. Did get acknowledgement letter a while ago but nothing since. Presuming it's all ok though. I hope! Really starting to slow down now. Can't wait to finish work.

• Advertisement

Hi all.

Just on the maternity benefit, I filled out an online enquiry on the welfare.ie website yesterday as I hadn't received any acknowledgement of my application. I got an email today to say the application had been received and approved and they attached a copy of the award letter too.

The link to the form is

https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/secure/GENENQ.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭March11

Brought in by ambulance again on sun with another bleed, had emergency section under general and had baby boy Rian 7 lbs 5 oz at 35 + 2 weeks. He is currently in neonatal.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭March11

Brought in by ambulance again on mon with another bleed, had emergency section under general and had baby boy Rian 7 lbs 5 oz at 35 + 2 weeks. He is currently in neonatal.

March11 wrote: »
    Brought in by ambulance again on mon with another bleed, had emergency section under general and had baby boy Rian 7 lbs 5 oz at 35 + 2 weeks. He is currently in neonatal.

March11 congratulations! I hope that both you and Rian are doing well.

Congratulations March11! Hope you are recovering well and that Rian will be out of neonatal in no time.

Scary stuff March! He's a fine size though and hopefully will be out of neonatal soon. Hope you are doing ok too. Congratulations on the arrival of the first of our 'October' babies.

March11 wrote: »

Wow, congratulations. You must be in shock! What a marvelous size for a baby of that age. Hope ye are both doing well and together soon. A few years ago my friend had a baby 4 weeks early and named him Rian too. Its a gorgeous name.

Congrats March11!!:). Hope you're both doing well! That's a very good weight for the time, wow!!:D

Can't believe we're all getting so close now! - eeeeek!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Petal765

Congratulations March11! Wow great size for being so early, hope ye are both doing well!

I'm 36 weeks today and feeling very uncomfortable, can't believe the first October baby is born.... eek! Getting so close now, must still pack my hospital bag, anyone as disorganised as me?!

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭FunkSoulSista

Congrats March and love the name too. Hope you and baby are doing well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Guestboarder

Congratulations March11, delighted all went well and hopefully you'll have your little man home soon, beautiful name!

I have nothing prepared either Petal765! Nearly 35 wks. Need to shake a leg!

Also had my scan and my placenta has moved so natural birth is on the cards, soooooo happy!!

Had another scan today at 36 weeks, placenta has moved up thank goodness, only thing is baby is measuring 8lbs already!! So they're sending me for another glucose test as he's so big and another scan in 2 weeks to see how much of a bum splitter he's going to be!! Looks like I maybe walking like John Wayne for longer than I thought or even a c section!! - gulp!!:rolleyes:
    How's everyone else doing?

Had another scan today at 36 weeks, placenta has moved up thank goodness, only thing is baby is measuring 8lbs already!! So they're sending me for another glucose test as he's so big and another scan in 2 weeks to see how much of a bum splitter he's going to be!! Looks like I maybe walking like John Wayne for longer than I thought or even a c section!! - gulp!!:rolleyes:
    How's everyone else doing?

Glad placenta is in a good position! The late scans are supposed to be notoriously inaccurate at measuring baby's weight so don't get too worried! The hospitals seem to be fierce for putting the fear into mothers about having a big baby. I was having a great pregnancy last time, met the consultant for the first time at one of my last appointments and after a quick scan he said, well you're 90% a section (reasons being size of baby v size of me). I actually burst into tears, he knocked me for six. Didn't end up a section thankfully but it did really kill my confidence before the labour had even started. Baby was 8lb13oz so a good size but my recovery and experience were no different to friends who had much smaller babies.

I'm getting pretty excited now. I had to sit my driving test the week before I was due last time so I was so stressed on the lead up to my due date. It's lovely this time round, so much more relaxed. I'm keeping my rose tinted glasses firmly on! My eldest is turning 3 in two weeks and he is a dream at the moment! Oh god I hope it lasts. He's so curious, speech is getting really good and he's asking questions all the time. I think it's going to be a good time to introduce a new baby. We went to Fota yesterday and he was cooing over any baby he saw, trying to push the buggies, so it's looking promising!

Every time I see a new post on this thread, I'm hoping it's news of a new arrival!

Finishing work tomorrow. Can't wait. Find myself really tired at the moment. Accidentally found out the sex of the baby! Did harmony way back and said I didn't want to know gender so they left the results out of my file. Somehow the secretary at the consultants produced it as I was leaving and put it in the file! I had about two seconds to say stop but read the gender upside down. Told my oh later on but pretending we still don't know otherwise. Would have liked the surprise but it's nice to know too. Have already bought all neutral babygros though!

cornflake1 wrote: »
    Finishing work tomorrow. Can't wait. Find myself really tired at the moment. Accidentally found out the sex of the baby! Did harmony way back and said I didn't want to know gender so they left the results out of my file. Somehow the secretary at the consultants produced it as I was leaving and put it in the file! I had about two seconds to say stop but read the gender upside down. Told my oh later on but pretending we still don't know otherwise. Would have liked the surprise but it's nice to know too. Have already bought all neutral babygros though!

Oh no!! I suppose it's a nice balance between being able to wonder about the sex during most of the pregnancy and now having a chance to maybe buy a smashing little outfit in preparation!

I think I accidentally found out the sex of my last baby in a late scan. The midwife asked if she could take a photo for her own records and when I was getting myself back together after I noticed she had left an image on the computer screen. Noticed something immediately that looked like a penis so I looked away quickly, asked no questions and tried to put it out of my head telling myself it was a finger or something! We had a boy so I wonder.

That's a bummer Cornflake1 if you didn't want to know, but never mind still all very exciting! My OH didn't want to know and I did, he didn't want me knowing and him not so he decided to find out too! Was fun though as he was dead chuffed and is really excited!;)
    Im finding myself really tired too, as soon as its mid afternoon I'm half asleep, luckily I work from home so can take a nap, although went for a lunchtime one the other day and woke up six hours later!!��. Although I keep waking up at around half four in the morning and not being able to get back to sleep, I guess my body is getting ready for no sleep!��. My brain is also super fuzzy by mid afternoon, I think I need a new one!��

Livinsane I know I've heard lots of folk say they like to over estimate rather than under so I guess a good few folk are told they'll have whoppers too! Still I hate needles and lucozade so am not looking forward to another GTT as only had the last one 6 weeks ago, which was fine, still I guess better to check!��
    Still can't believe my due date is only 3 and a half weeks away, it seems like only yesterday I was excited I'd hit the second trimester!!

It's our month!! Yay!!!!

Three weeks 5 days to due date here and I finally got confirmation of my maternity leave. I also got around to packing my hospital bags yesterday too, a big day! Have literally done nothing else in terms of getting organised. My SIL is coming to mind our 2 and 1 year old tomorrow so we can make a decent start at the rest of our to do list.

Can't believe that about finding out the gender cornflake! I thought I say something resembling a penis at my last scan, saying that, everything was so squashed in there at one stage I thought I was looking at the belly and I was looking at the head :D I have another appointment on Friday and will be back weekly from then. Have been off work with PGP and irritable uterus so the consultant said he'd do an internal and if Im favourable and want one that he might do a sweep then. I've never managed to have a sweep with the others so not getting my hopes up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 lou757

Hey joining from the September group as I am now 5 days nearly 6 days overdue 😭 this is baby #5 for me! Anxious to meet this little one, I have tried everything but I guess it will come when it's ready ðŸ˜႒

Hi all. How is everyone? 38+3 now. Doc offered a sweep today but even she herself wasn't too confident that it would work at 38 weeks. Said no and will see discuss again next week. Heard they aren't very nice but guess better than an induction. Other than that head engaged but apparently that doesn't necessarily mean baby arrival is imminent.

Anyone else trying raspberry leaf tea, pineapple, dates etc.? Mid wife told me today that sex is the way to go. Anyway still have loads to do before baby arrives. Must wash baby clothes and pack our bags!

• Advertisement

Cornflake1, I had an antenatal class yesterday and midwife mentioned pineapple, mango, raspberry leaf tea, bouncing on the gym ball and the 3 H's's - a hot bath, a hot curry and hot sex!!!

All going good here, baby is breech so I have to decide if I want to go for ECV, I'm not sure what to do as the success rate is only around 50% I believe and even less for first time mothers but I really don't want to have a section so will probably go for it and hope for the best. I have acupuncture session booked for tomorrow night and I have downloaded the gentle birth app so I'll listen to the special track on that for turning baby.

Can't believe it's October and our month, so exciting and a bit scary all at the same time lol

Advertisement