Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2016 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

I'm 37 weeks tomorrow and will probably have an internal at my 38 or 39'week appointment. My consultant won't do a sweep if cervix isn't favourable. Have never managed to have one yet so have no idea if they are painful or not. I started raspberry leaf tea a few days ago. I did with my first two as well and although I was induced with both they were fast inductions. On the advice of a midwife friend I've also started dates in the last few days too. Apparently you should be eating 6 of them. Consultant and my midwife both recommended sex on my previous pregnancies but it didn't work for me on either!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I've heard about eating dates too. I went 9 days over last time and escaped the induction that had been scheduled for a few days later. The Domino midwife I met at my last appointment gave me the impression that, although they offer induction at ten days over, they are more lenient with how much you go over, once everything is looking well. I have this weird feeling I'll go early this time. Obviously stands for nothing but I just feel like I'll be caught off guard!

Was meant to have two more days at work but my child minder has glandular fever and I've no one to stand in so I'm unexpectedly finished now! Doesn't feel real yet. It's so different second time around. I'm not counting down the days like last time, just enjoying the relative peace and quiet until all the excitement happens. A bit of nesting is kicking in, thank fk cos my house needs a serious clean!

Sprites wrote: »
    Cornflake1, I had an antenatal class yesterday and midwife mentioned pineapple, mango, raspberry leaf tea, bouncing on the gym ball and the 3 H's's - a hot bath, a hot curry and hot sex!!!

All going good here, baby is breech so I have to decide if I want to go for ECV, I'm not sure what to do as the success rate is only around 50% I believe and even less for first time mothers but I really don't want to have a section so will probably go for it and hope for the best. I have acupuncture session booked for tomorrow night and I have downloaded the gentle birth app so I'll listen to the special track on that for turning baby.

Can't believe it's October and our month, so exciting and a bit scary all at the same time lol

Have you heard of the spinningbabies.com website? Loads of useful info but a lot on breech babies and simple exercises to encourage the baby to turn. If you're not already joined, check out the Gentlebirth Facebook group, loads of informative discussions on breech babies. Best of luck, hope he/she flips!

livinsane wrote: »
    I've heard about eating dates too. I went 9 days over last time and escaped the induction that had been scheduled for a few days later. The Domino midwife I met at my last appointment gave me the impression that, although they offer induction at ten days over, they are more lenient with how much you go over, once everything is looking well. I have this weird feeling I'll go early this time. Obviously stands for nothing but I just feel like I'll be caught off guard!

Was meant to have two more days at work but my child minder has glandular fever and I've no one to stand in so I'm unexpectedly finished now! Doesn't feel real yet. It's so different second time around. I'm not counting down the days like last time, just enjoying the relative peace and quiet until all the excitement happens. A bit of nesting is kicking in, thank fk cos my house needs a serious clean!

That's interesting about the induction. I had low fluid levels by the end with both of mine so I don't think I would have been allowed go much more over than the +10 and +5 I got to. Would love a bit of nesting to kick in here. Keeping on top of things is hard with two littles and PGP!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

I went 11 days over before being induced last time and tried EVERYTHING. Nothing worked and I was wrecked from trying things. I had a total of 5 sweeps from 37 weeks - 42 weeks. They ranged in pain level from barely noticeable to properly painful depending on the vigor of the person carrying them out!

On sex, apparently the gel they use for induction has the same 'qualities' (cant for the life of me think of the technical name) as sperm but you need 3 doses of sperm to equal the measurement used when you're induced. Sperm does soften the cervix so if you're feeling up to it why not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

Can't believe 37 weeks today!:). Although just got blood results back from GTT and I'm 0.1 point over threshold so have to go to diabetes clinic tomorrow!:(. Looks like bland food from here on in, although have been eating bland stuff the last two weeks as can't stomach rich stuff, it just repeats all night, means I can't eat loads of fruit which I've been munching on the last week or so too, and no sneaky chocolate biscuits! - never mind only a few weeks left if they let me go that long! I have a sneaking suspicion I'm going to end up being induced early, so am keeping everything crossed it doesn't end up a section!
    Anyone else really tired by the afternoon, I keep having to go for naps every afternoon, feel like a 90 yr old!!:D. Have my first antenatal class this evening, hope I can stay awake!;)
    Hope everyone is doing well?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭FunkSoulSista

Just over 36 weeks here and very tired by afternoon need to nap when I can, my poor toddler is getting to watch lots of tv 😮 So ready to finish work next week, hope I get a bit of downtime before d day comes!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Sprites

Have you heard of the spinningbabies.com website? Loads of useful info but a lot on breech babies and simple exercises to encourage the baby to turn. If you're not already joined, check out the Gentlebirth Facebook group, loads of informative discussions on breech babies. Best of luck, hope he/she flips!

Thanks! I had a quick look and I've started trying the exercises. Also doing moxibustion (which absolutely stinks BTW) and listening to the tracks on the gentle birth app. Really hoping for baby to turn!!

How is everybody doing? Packing the last of my hospital bag, it's hard trying to fit everything in!!

Really feeling tired the past week, pelvis achy think I've had a few braxton hicks too anyone else? Thought I packed my bag as light as possible but still seems to be colossal!!

Ps also on gentlebirth it's a great source of info, anyone using the app?

• Advertisement

Funksoulsista I've had the braxton hicks for weeks now, can be rather uncomfortable, feels like someone sitting on my stomach! Am achy in the pelvis too, especially when walking about, or chasing turkeys, damn things seem to sense I can't keep up so bugger off when getting them out to their pen!:rolleyes:

Am soooo exhausted all the time too, get blood results back today hopefully so will see how my iron is doing, and am hopeless with the whole blood sugar testing thing with my brain this fuzzy, even though I've only been doing it since Friday with the GD!:o, am not a routine eater so am struggling, so will see what they say at the clinic this afternoon!:(

I've had crazy braxton hicks this pregnancy, regularly lasting up to 30 seconds. At this stage hopefully they are preparing the cervix to make the big event easier!

Im using the Gentlebirth app too, its really good. Actually, has anyone tried accessing the app offline to see if you can access your favourites? It won't work for me, app just keeps loading and doesn't seem to open without internet. It'd be pretty useless in the hospital. Im using a tablet with no mobile internet.

What are people's plans for pain management during labour? I have a tens machine this time and found the birthing ball invaluable the last time. They have a thing called the Cub (Comfortable Upright Birth) in CUMH now that looks great. Has anyone used the hospital pool before? What Im seeing on Google Images looks really relaxing. Listening to music helped last time so I've made a nice playlist. I've also heard that sitting on the toilet is a great position for relief and helps to "open the body" so Im keeping that in mind! I saw a great tip to tie a big knot in end of a sheet, throw it over the top of a door and close it so you can pull down on the sheet during a contraction. Id say it would really help back pain. Feels good when I try it now anyway. I didn't realise how much preparation was needed last time. I was too focused on my driving test which I sat 6 days before my due date and preparing for breastfeeding. Im labour obsessed this time, hope it pays off.

Hi all, hope everyone is feeling good!

Had a clinic appointment yesterday afternoon when I was told after examination that the baby had turned "head down" and they would do a quick scan to confirm. Well, the quick scan confirmed the opposite! Baby was still frank breech. Disussed ECV with the doc who threw me a bit of a curveball and said I could have it done that evening. Home I went and got my bag, collected my husband from work and out to the labour ward. Being honest it was a pretty uncomfortable experience, but entirely manageable although both the doc and midwife were impressed with my pain threshold!!

Anyway, it was a failed attempt and I'm booked in for same again next week although I may pass on the second try and accept that I'll be sectioned as the chances of success are low for first time mums and there are minimal risks which I only really considered properly last night after the procedure, then I did panic first thing this morning when baby wasn't moving around but has started its usual acrobatics now, phew!

Going to continue with moxi stick, spinning babies exercises, gentle birth track and exercise ball and pray for some divine intervention!!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Petal765

Hope everyone's doing well, you poor thing sprite, sounds awful, hopefully your little one decides to turn soon for you, at least the end is in sight, the last few weeks are so hard,

39 weeks today and can barely walk with pelvic pain, only started in the last few days but had a good cry this morning it was so bad, feeling very sorry for myself tbh, wish I could enjoy the last few weeks but I'm in so much pain,

How's everyone else doing?

Sorry Sprites it didnt work, you never know baby may squidge round on its own when you least expect it! Fingers crossed for you!:)

Petal765 I know how you feel, Im feeling a bit miserable too, went to diabetic clinic on monday and told i'll most likely be induced at around 39 weeks as baby is so big, am 38 tomorrow, but you never know nature may intervene, have another appointment on monday. Am still struggling with blood sugar and remembering to eat at the right times and drink too, am always dehydrated, so I am pretty stressed out - surely not a good thing!:( Am achy as hell, my hips and back are killing me and when i walk any distance babys head keeps creaming my bladder against my pelvis so am walking like a snail in reverse, just to top it off I'm not sleeping much as getting loads of cramps and acid reflux so am generally not a happy bunny, i was looking forward to just chilling out the last few weeks but no such luck!!:(

I hope everyone else is having a better time of it!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Guestboarder

Sorry to hear that Sprites.....I'm hoping it changes for you xx

Sorry to hear that petal765. I'm in the same boat, my pelvis is KILLING me. I have insane pressure, constant cramps and bh and my bladder is being destroyed. Not sleeping well either with a waking toddler and my bad excema flaring up every night.....(sorry major moan) just wanted to let you know I'm right there with you! Not long now though so rest up X

I had a consultant appt today as I thought I had prolapse (thankfully it is just the pressure from the baby making me feel like somethings coming out!)
    But after doing a scan a few measurements the doc felt I was big and baby was measuring 39wks when I'm 37.
    This is unexpected I have to say as I'm very petite and have put on literally just the baby weight. My first baby was 7lbs 1oz at 41 weeks so I was shocked. I have to go back next week to check babies size again. He said it may be that I have excess fluid and it's not actually the baby being large....so confused and really worried now as I didn't tear at all with my last and was hoping the same for this one but if it's a big bubba and I'm little as it is I'm so worried I'll need an episiotomy!! :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭cornflake1

Hi ladies. Baby Evelyn arrived nine days early last Friday in CUMH! It all happened fairly fast with my waters breaking at five am at home and baby born ten hours later. She is beautiful. I managed on gas and air only. Made use of the birthing ball for a while and also used the CUB chair which was great. Had to get a small bit of syntocin for the last 45 minutes as contractions had slowed down. Had a 1st degree tear with two stitches. She was 7 pounds 5 ounces.

I had rented a tens machine but it was only delivered that day so never got to use it. My sister gave birth on Monday so she used it and found it great. It was the one from Medicare. She had used a lidl one on an earlier pregnancy and found this one way better. I did ask for the pool but they said there wasn't time as things had been moving so fast. I did get a look at it though and the room is very spa like. Apparently it isn't used that much as there are so many reasons why you can't

Baby is beautiful but unfortunately she is jaundiced so have had to go back to hospital to check her levels. Still high today so must go back on Friday again. Trying not to worry too much. Life has changed totally. Can't even find the time for a relaxing cup of tea. It's worth it though.

Hurray, baby news! Massive congratulations Cornflake1, sounds like you did an amazing job. That's mad that your sis gave birth within a few days! Evelyn is a beautiful name, enjoy!

Congrats great news Cornflake1!!:D. Glad all went well and baby Evelyn arrived safely!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Guestboarder

Congratulations Cornflake1!!! Fantastic news!! Xxx

• Advertisement

Hurray, baby news! Massive congratulations Cornflake1, sounds like you did an amazing job. That's mad that your sis gave birth within a few days! Evelyn is a beautiful name, enjoy!

Thanks! Yeah it is great to have had the babies so close together. It is her third so will be going to her for any advice

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Petal765

Congratulations cornflake1! I love the name Evelyn, hope ye are both doing well, so exciting the October babies are arriving!

I'll update our list! Not sure if I got the DOBs right.

PLL - 6th October - UHG - Girl (No. 2)
    Cornflake1 - 16th October - CUMH - Surprise! - Girl Evelyn born 7th Oct
    March11 - 22nd October - CUMH - Surprise! (No. 3) - Boy Rían born 19th Sept
    Livinsane - 23rd October - CUMH (No. 2) - Surprise!
    Roesy - 27th October - CUMH - Surprise! (No. 3)
    Sprites - 27th October - UHW - Surprise!
    Guestboarder - 31st October - Coombe - Boy (No. 2)
    Funksoulsista - 31st October - Rotunda - Surprise! - (No. 2)
    Bunny slippers - 27th October - Boy (No. 1)

Big congrats cornflake exciting times for us all love the name too!

Livinsane, you can stick me down too, I'm due on 27th it's a boy and he's my first!:)

cornflake1 wrote: »
    Hi ladies. Baby Evelyn arrived nine days early last Friday in CUMH! It all happened fairly fast with my waters breaking at five am at home and baby born ten hours later. She is beautiful. I managed on gas and air only. Made use of the birthing ball for a while and also used the CUB chair which was great. Had to get a small bit of syntocin for the last 45 minutes as contractions had slowed down. Had a 1st degree tear with two stitches. She was 7 pounds 5 ounces.

I had rented a tens machine but it was only delivered that day so never got to use it. My sister gave birth on Monday so she used it and found it great. It was the one from Medicare. She had used a lidl one on an earlier pregnancy and found this one way better. I did ask for the pool but they said there wasn't time as things had been moving so fast. I did get a look at it though and the room is very spa like. Apparently it isn't used that much as there are so many reasons why you can't

Baby is beautiful but unfortunately she is jaundiced so have had to go back to hospital to check her levels. Still high today so must go back on Friday again. Trying not to worry too much. Life has changed totally. Can't even find the time for a relaxing cup of tea. It's worth it though.

Congrats!! Beautiful name. Hope the jaundice lifts soon. My first two both had it. Do all the delivery suites in Cumh have the Cub chair now?

Roesy wrote: »
    Congrats!! Beautiful name. Hope the jaundice lifts soon. My first two both had it. Do all the delivery suites in Cumh have the Cub chair now?

I think they just have two of the chairs. They came in to get the one I had been using while we were having the tea and toast.

Cumh sounds like a great spot for labouring!

Congratulations Cornflake1, that name is one of my favourites! Hope you are both doing great!

• Advertisement

Well it's as I thought, had hospital app today and am now booked in for an induction starting Thursday afternoon at 39 weeks! Anyone here been induced before? What sort of time frame did you have as am worried OH will be sent home and he'll miss it as we live an hour and a half away?!:o

Advertisement