Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

October 2016 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Well it's as I thought, had hospital app today and am now booked in for an induction starting Thursday afternoon at 39 weeks! Anyone here been induced before? What sort of time frame did you have as am worried OH will be sent home and he'll miss it as we live an hour and a half away?!

Hi! If you have health insurance some cover hotel stays for a night or two if needed. We were public, but my partner was able to claim some of the cost of a nights stay in a local hotel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

Well it's as I thought, had hospital app today and am now booked in for an induction starting Thursday afternoon at 39 weeks! Anyone here been induced before? What sort of time frame did you have as am worried OH will be sent home and he'll miss it as we live an hour and a half away?!:o

I was induced on my first at ten days overdue in the Coombe. I had already had a number of sweeps and had started to lose my mucus plug. I was admitted at 7pm on a Sunday evening as I lived nearby, I was public and was on a ward (no babies) with two other women. My husband was sent away at 9pm. The doctor came around at around midnight and inserted a gel. It wasn't at all painful just cold. I think I was put on a ctg monitor for the night but am not 100%. I woke at around 6am with niggly pains, was expecting labour pains to be like period pains but they were more like the pain you get in your stomach before you have the runs!

Got up to use the bathroom and my waters broke on the toilet. Husband was let in at around 8am and I was moved to the private labour room at 11am when my contractions were regular.
    If you've any other questions just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Sprites

Apologies in advance for the rant but I just need to vent!!

Had a second failed ECV attempt this morning so that's all avenues exhausted on trying to turn this baby. It is just not budging. So got the date for my c-section and to be honest I'm pretty devastated over the whole thing.

To make matters worse, the doctor performing the procedure asked me if I knew the sex of the baby, and when I replied that I didn't he proceeded to tell me!!! He also constantly referred to it throughout the procedure so in case I missed it the first time I was definitely certain of the sex when leaving.

I just feel that everything i was looking forward to is now non existent, all the excitement is gone. I know I probably sound like a petulant child saying that but I actually don't care at this point!

Again, refer to opening sentence for apologies for the rant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

You do not sound like a petulant child! Finding out you have to have a section is upsetting enough without being told your baby's sex against your wishes. That's a really big deal. I can only imagine your feelings towards that doctor at the moment.

How long more do you have before your due date? Will they scan you again before the section date to give you a chance of a vaginal birth if the baby does turn?

Don't feel guilty about being upset. That's the last thing you need on top of it all. You have every right to your feelings. It will still be amazing to meet the baby. The surprise element of the gender is gone but you still have no idea what he/she will look like, what weight, etc so it will still be a big surprise.

Thanks livinsane, you are right there is still plenty to be excited about! Also, my partner couldn't make it this morning, he had to work so my mother came in with me. We've both agreed that we won't say a word so it's still a surprise for him on the day.

My due date is the 28th, so they will scan me the morning I'm brought in to see if the baby has moved, if it has then in the doctors words "they'll give me breakfast and send me home"!!

I have a week for things to change anyway, here's hoping!

• Advertisement

Oh that's kind of fun knowing when your partner doesn't! Seeing his surprise will be lovely.
    I guess it's good to prepare for the section and hope baby turns. One way to look at it is that the baby must have chosen that position because it's more comfortable. It's such a common procedure now and so many mother's have been through it that hopefully you'll get good support after. There should be good tips to help with the recovery if you search through old threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭cornflake1

That is terrible behaviour from the doctor Sprites. The doctor should have known better. I also found out the gender by accident at around 36 weeks. I was disappointed but it doesn't take away from the moment your child is born. As livinsane says there are lots of other surprises. I had some ideas in my head about baby 's features but I was all wrong.

I think someone else mentioned the spinning babies website. Did you find anything useful there? Where are you based sprites? I had a couple of lovely pregnancy massages in cork which were very relaxing and might help you de-stress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

Thanks xalot makes me feel better, so many horror stories of people days in labour then ending in a section, I know I shouldn't Google but hard not to!!:o

Good idea scarepanda, I'm public my my OH has private health insurance so could always ask them!:). I Did suggest to him this morning about staying in a hotel, makes much more sense!:)

That's awful Sprites, I'd complain to the doctors senior, your wishes are top priority so he should have bothered to respect them, not on at all, go over his head or he will keep doing it to others!
    As others have said still lots to look forward to and your partners surprise will be worth everything!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Good idea scarepanda, I'm public my my OH has private health insurance so could always ask them! . I Did suggest to him this morning about staying in a hotel, makes much more sense!

No bother. We live an hour away from the hospital I chose to go to. Ended up waking at 3am the day she was due with pains and himself was only in bed, so by that afternoon he needed sleep and wasn't fit to drive anywhere.
    Thanks xalot makes me feel better, so many horror stories of people days in labour then ending in a section, I know I shouldn't Google but hard not to!!

I ended up having an emergency section and honestly it's really not that awful (I didn't even want to get the epidural coz a needle in my back freaked me out!). If you see them doing a section on programmes it looks really rough, but in reality you might feel a very vague sensation. Only thing I was aware of was hearing the suction when they broke my waters just before she was born. And afterwards, keep on top of the pain meds. Take everything they offer (diafine suppositories are unbelievable). I was lucky and didn't actually have much pain, I was more stiff when meds were wearing off. After the first week I was only occasionally taking paracetamol and that was usually when I did to much! And last piece of advice, make sure your birthing partner knows what will happen if you do have a section. My OH didn't know what was happening when he was waiting outside theatre, whether he'd be let in, if baby would be brought to him, if he'd be brought to baby etc. They had started opening me up before he was brought in and wasn't really given much info. They really should go through what happens in the case of an emergency section during the antenatal classes because in the moment you don't have time to think. All we were told was that it's a 4 day stay.

Thanks everyone, I'm starting feeling better about it now and focusing on all the positives!

I'm in Waterford and I've had an acupuncture session already which was good, I'll probably go for another one. Have a night away in a spa booked with the hubby on Thursday night with a pregnancy specific treatment on Friday morning so really looking forward to that.

Going to keep trying the spinning babies exercises and stick to positive thinking from now on as much as I can.

The benefit of a planned section, I was shown the theatre, the room your partner waits in before they're brought into you and the recovery room that the three of you spend a couple of hours in before you go back to post natal ward. They also talked me through everything that will happen on the day so I'm fully prepared from that perspective.

• Advertisement

Glad to hear it Sprites. Enjoy the next few days and do lots of nice things for yourself. In just over a week you will finally get to hold and see your baby!

Thanks xalot makes me feel better, so many horror stories of people days in labour then ending in a section, I know I shouldn't Google but hard not to!!:o

I'd say induction is as unpredictable as natural labour but for my friends and family members that were induced, most of them actually had extremely quick labours and a vaginal birth. So now you're even more confused!

Lol Livinsane! So much stuff on the net it's hard not to read, I guess those that have normal inductions rarely write about it! Am excited but scared at the same time, I know I have to just go with the flow! Am booked in for 2pm tomorrow I assume they start you on the prostaglandin gel straight away, or do they wait? - not much info on their policy at CUMH just a leaflet with the bare essentials!

Have a stinking head cold to top it all off so must take a huge supply of tissues, my bag already looks like I've got everything including the kitchen sink!!:D. Bought one of those huge fitness balls on Monday and have been merrily bouncing all over the spot on it, feels like a space hopper, so at least that's fun!!��

How's everyone else faring? - I think the last few weeks have gone the slowest, or maybe just me!:D

I've heard that a head cold can be a sign of impending labour! Embrace the snot :)

Best of luck today!!! Hope you have a wonderful labour. Just try to rest as much as possible at the beginning! The ball is a great way to stay upright and moving (hip circles etc) while also being comfortable and semi-resting. It is one of my biggest regrets from my last labour, that I got caught up in the excitement of things starting and didn't utilise that time to conserve my energy. Bring lots of distraction stuff for the beginning like music, magazines etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

livinsane wrote: »
    I've heard that a head cold can be a sign of impending labour! Embrace the snot :)

Best of luck today!!! Hope you have a wonderful labour. Just try to rest as much as possible at the beginning! The ball is a great way to stay upright and moving (hip circles etc) while also being comfortable and semi-resting. It is one of my biggest regrets from my last labour, that I got caught up in the excitement of things starting and didn't utilise that time to conserve my energy. Bring lots of distraction stuff for the beginning like music, magazines etc.

+1 to all of this!! Great advice. Also, even though you won't be able to use the pool for labouring once you are induced you can still shower or use the bath on the wards. I've never been to the induction room in Cumh(yet!) so can't comment on that. I've received gel in my room on my first and progressed quickly so that was great and on my second the induction room was heaving busy so I was brought straight to delivery and had the drip and waters broken there.

Lol Livinsane! So much stuff on the net it's hard not to read, I guess those that have normal inductions rarely write about it! Am excited but scared at the same time, I know I have to just go with the flow! Am booked in for 2pm tomorrow I assume they start you on the prostaglandin gel straight away, or do they wait? - not much info on their policy at CUMH just a leaflet with the bare essentials!

Have a stinking head cold to top it all off so must take a huge supply of tissues, my bag already looks like I've got everything including the kitchen sink!!:D. Bought one of those huge fitness balls on Monday and have been merrily bouncing all over the spot on it, feels like a space hopper, so at least that's fun!!��

How's everyone else faring? - I think the last few weeks have gone the slowest, or maybe just me!:D

Regardless of whether you have gel or ARM(waters broken) to start you, you'll be have a trace first to make sure baby is good. Then if it's gels you'll be put back on a trace for a little while after gel goes in. Once gel is in you'll be told
    Stay in bed for an hour to stop it coming out. After that you'll be encouraged to walk/bounce/do laps of the stairs to get things going. If nothing happens you might be given a second gel 6 hours later.

Thanks Rosey, have had first lot of gel and nothing yet, fingers crossed though!:) Its sooo hot!
    Thank you livinsane, am hoping for a text book induction!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭FunkSoulSista

Best of luck, let us know the news when you can!

Bunnyslippers, I'd say we overlapped in the induction room today. Didn't say earlier as I have friends and family who know me on boards and was trying to keep it as a surprise!! My little boy was born this evening. Wrecked but so in love. Had a speedy 1hr 8 minute labour. Just took a long time to get things started. It involved two gels, one in the room last night and this morning and then into induction after 3 and up to delivery at 20 to 6.

Congratulations Roesy! Great news. Enjoy the love!

• Advertisement

Congratulations Roesy!!!

Wow congratulations on your son Roesy! If I remember correctly, you must have three under 3 at the moment! Hope you get lots of rest before going home. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 pricklefingers

Great news, congratulations Roesy

Anyone else have any signs of things happening? Got some braxton hicks here and there,bit of sniffles which can be a sign right? Not much nesting going on here, more napping!!

I actually thought something was stirring last night. Im due tomorrow. I've been getting strong braxton hicks since very early on but I think it's cos Im still breastfeeding and that really drives them on. They were pretty strong last night. I'm getting cramps the last few days and "loose bowel movements" (sorry tmi..) every evening for the last three days. Thankfully nothing happened because it would have been the worst night ever to go into labour! 3 year old had a fever and was awake half the night and OH had come off nights that morning and had feck all sleep during the day so he was comatose in bed! Im making a prediction that labour will be started by Tuesday, all based on non scientific reasoning off course. My mum, my sis and I all went 9/10 days over on our first and they went 2/3 days over on their second so Im hoping for about the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Guestboarder

Have intense braxton hicks all day every day, period pains, back aches (the period type one) and awful pressure on my vagina and cervix but have had all of this for couple of weeks so don't think it's impending labour as yet.
    I do have a head cold/ sniffles but may just be from my little girl. Feeling brutal to be honest, just want to stay in bed all day!!
    Due on 31st so another while to go!
    Found out last week that I have slightly high amount of amniotic fluid but not enough for them to induce labour so that's good.
    Little man is crazy active lately too, really feeling it down below!!
    (Sorry, such a moany post!)
    Just at that end stage of bluech!!! Haha

Congratulations Roesy!!! Xxx

Ooh they all sound like positive signs to me, wonder if we all pop at once! A few more twinges here again this evening but nothing on a regular basis.

Well had my little boy at 1.17am this morning, 15 mins after we got to the hospital. Unreal. I had been getting contractions since around 1am the night before but they were very manageable and spaced out. It really kicked off around 9pm and progressed fast. I managed to have dinner and a bath. The journey there was scary, feeling like i wanted to push but not knowing if it was the real thing. I had an epidural last time and didn't experience that sensation. I was terrified that they would tell me I wasn't close and that would have killed me. After examination (getting into position for that between contractions was the worst part!) was wheeled very fast to the labour ward, up onto the bed, leaning against the head board and he was born a few minutes later. I can honestly say that it was the most incredible feeling, pushing him out did not hurt. The sense of relief was amazing. I can't believe how different this labour was. Last time I laboured for 24 hours in the hospital, so many checks and procedures. Horrible. My OH is in shock with how close it was, I just said I timed it perfectly (as if I knew what I was doing..). No name yet, waiting till we get to know him a bit but have an idea. He was 7lb 13oz. Exactly a pound smaller than my first and almost born on his due date! One of the best days of my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,263 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Congratulations Livinsane! (My first time on this thread, I just saw it pop up to the top and thought, Ooh, October, I bet some of those are born now - and bingo!
    Enjoy your little one, and I hope ex-baby number one enjoys being promoted to "big brother" as well.)

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Advertisement

Ah big congrats what an amazing story!!

Advertisement