Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2016 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭FunkSoulSista

PLL - 6th October - UHG - Girl (No. 2)

Cornflake1 - 16th October - CUMH - Surprise! - Girl Evelyn born 7th Oct

March11 - 22nd October - CUMH - Surprise! (No. 3) - Boy Rian born 19th Sept

Livinsane - 23rd October - CUMH (No. 2) - Surprise! - Boy born 24th October

Roesy - 27th October - CUMH - Surprise! (No. 3)

Sprites - 27th October - UHW - Surprise!

Bunnyslippers - 27th October - Boy - 1st

Guestboarder - 31st October - Coombe - Boy (No. 2)

Funksoulsista - 31st October - Rotunda - Surprise! - (No. 2)

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Guestboarder

Huge congratulations livinsane!!! Xx

May I ask....for those who have just had their babas or for those who remember it from their last, what did contractions feel like again!??? I actually can't remember (ridiculous I know) and I get so many cramps, pains and intense braxton Hicks every day that I'm convinced I won't spot the actual contractions when they start!!
    Would love to hear people's description of theirs!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭cornflake1

Congratulations livinsane! Guess you didn't get the chance to use the cub chair after all! Sounds like a the perfect delivery. Enjoy your little boy!

Guestboarder my contractions felt like intense period cramps. They didn't start until after my waters had broken. Didn't have any pains up to then. I remember reading somewhere that real contractions are regular and become more intense over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I had a hard time knowing if labour was really started this time. Last time was awful back pain but this time was intense period pain. I felt perfect in between contractions this time whereas last time, I was just sore all the time. I have no idea the timeline of progression as I was ready to deliver when examined but I'd estimate most happened in the last 2 hours. I should have gone to hospital when they were 5 mins apart cos once they got to 4 mins apart, they started rolling together very quickly and it was fairly traumatic traveling to the hospital at that stage. Also have no idea when my waters went, they were gone by the time I was in hospital but god knows where they are!

Baby boy born 1am this morning, lil beauty I'm in awe!

• Advertisement

Congratulations funksoulsista!!! Fantastic news! You had the same Due date as me! You beat me to it! Haha! I hope my little man gets similar plans to get out early! Xxx

Congratulations funksoulsista! Another October baby born!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

livinsane wrote: »
    I had a hard time knowing if labour was really started this time. Last time was awful back pain but this time was intense period pain. I felt perfect in between contractions this time whereas last time, I was just sore all the time. I have no idea the timeline of progression as I was ready to deliver when examined but I'd estimate most happened in the last 2 hours. I should have gone to hospital when they were 5 mins apart cos once they got to 4 mins apart, they started rolling together very quickly and it was fairly traumatic traveling to the hospital at that stage. Also have no idea when my waters went, they were gone by the time I was in hospital but god knows where they are!

Sounds like a great labour all the same!! You must give me your tips!!! I'm on number 1 so that's probably optimistic but hey, I can dream

Big congratulations funksoulsista! Enjoy every moment. It's a month for the boys it seems!

Beanybabog wrote: »
    Sounds like a great labour all the same!! You must give me your tips!!! I'm on number 1 so that's probably optimistic but hey, I can dream

I'd say there's definitely a certain amount of extra work your body has to do on baby number one as it has never had to "open" like that before but I can see some obvious things that would have made my first labour better.

I know now that it's not enough to just want a certain type of birth, you have to really prepare for it. You have to have some tools to get you through the contractions, and the more choices the better. This time I made a list of things to do when I knew labour had started and this got me through the whole day comfortably meaning I was well rested and well fed by the time things were really happening. For example, my list was:

Eat something and drink something - I ate good meals during the day which really stood to me later

Have a nap - spent alot of the day in my bedroom dozing and relaxing in bed

Watch stand up comedy - we watched a Jim Gaffigan concert in the evening on Netflix, fking hilarious, totally took my mind off things, made it fun and it was great bonding for me and OH. Had to stop when laughing through a contraction became too intense to handle!

Listen to music and gentlebirth tracks - had a really good playlist made that I listened to on and off all day. Listened to some gentlebirth when things were intense and it helped me calm down

Tens machine - had this on for hours, it was a massive help. Main benefit is that it makes you feel in control (you have it on a low pulse constantly and when a contraction starts, you hit a boost button which changes and speeds up the sensation). Its really distracting.

Have a bath - this was amazing relief and looking back, its probably where my waters broke without me realising - that would have been about 2.5 hours or less before baby was born so had I realised they had gone, I'd have gone straight to hospital at that stage!

Turn down lights - very important. You can read up on the effects of bright lights in labour.

Sit on birthing ball while leaning over side of bed- most comfortable position for me

Sorry for babbling but they are my tips! Positive attitude and belief in yourself is so important. Best of luck, you'll be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 clogher77

Congrats everybody.
    I had a baby girl Thursday. All good and delighted to be home.

Congrats clogher77!

Congratulations clogher77. A nice start to the holiday weekend!

Congratulations clogher77!!!

I'm due today! Anyone else still due or am I the last one!??? ��
    Cmon baby, come out!!
    Lost my plug on Friday night but still waiting!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

Congrats Livinsane, Funkysoulsista and clogher77!:)

I've had no internet since back from hospital!:rolleyes: My little man arrived via emergency c section on the 22nd! Induction didn't work at all, I was like the sheep no one could lamb - but at least 6 consultants tried!! Apparently no one can find my cervix, I'm surprised they didn't send in a mining crew with a canary! Anyway after 2 days of serious stomach cramps and nothing else, they wanted to try a balloon thingy which might have worked and started my labour after another 2 days, I hadn't slept for 3, so I just said enough was enough, 20 mins later I was in theatre and baby arrived none the worse for wear!:D. 8lbs 13.5 oz, they said I would have probably ended in a section anyway so glad I made the descision!:)

We're happy at home now and wound isn't quite so bad anymore - the staples they used really irritated me so I was in agony till they took them out! Still all ended well, we couldn't be happier, and I now know how a dairy cow feels!!;)

How's everyone else doing?

Congrats bunnyslippers! Laughing at your comment on sending the canary in. Glad you're feeling better.

Doing ok here except that baby still isn't back to her birth weight and she will be four weeks on Friday. She isn't losing any but didn't put on any weight last week and only 100 g the week before. Public health nurse told me to go to gp. I'm breastfeeding and gp said to start topping up with formula. Really wanted her to be exclusively breastfed but don't want her starving either. Will give the breastfeeding support line in cumh a call tomorrow. I'm pumping properly too now. Although it took three different times to get a miserly 25mls. How are the rest of you doing with feeding, either formula or breastfeeding?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

^ Get checked for a tongue tie by someone with experience (IBCLC etc) - it can be a cause of slow weight gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

I have been following this thread throughout my pregnancy but only posting now. Its been a great source of reassurance and info over the past 9 months so thanks everyone and a big congrats on all the recent arrivals.

My little man arrived on 25 Oct, 3 days early by elective c section due to an unstable lie and baby not engaging. He's just perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Sprites

Congrats everyone!! Have been disconnected from my phone for the past couple of weeks - Cillian arrived via emergency c section on 26th October. All doing fine , we are completely head over heels for him :-)

Struggling a small bit with the breastfeeding. I've had to resort to nipple shields on the advice of the PHN, which I've read are not recommended for long term use but they are the only way he'll latch on at the moment.

He also cluster feeds every evening which is taking it out of me energy wise.

Any advice or if anyone has similar experience would be really appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Hi sprites!
    I'm three months in today and using shield's 100% of the time. Your not supposed to use them long term because they can affect supply & weight gain etc. However without the shield's I wouldn't still be breastfeeding. My little girl appeared to be latched properly, but after every feed my nipples were creased and cracked within the first day or two so a midwife recommenced them. Muggins also had a habit of slipping on and off which didn't help! In the early days after I got home from the hospital I tried her without the shield's but it just wasn't happening and to be honest I was afraid of them getting sore again (for me it was worse than the section). Thankfully iv never had an issue with supply etc and my little miss is strong, happy and healthy. I'd advise contacting a lactation consultant, but other than that I don't really have a lot of advice. I just wanted to reply to say if breastfeeding is something you really want to do and using shield's is the only way you can achieve that while maintaining your sanity, and your baby isn't negatively affected then it's not the end of the world. Oh and it does get easier in every way! Best of luck!

Also, I just wanted to add, re the cluster feeding, sit back and relax. Forget about everything else as much as you can. Weeks 2&9 were the worst so far for us, but it does pass.

• Advertisement

Congrats Sprites!

I used nipple shields at night for a while with my eldest. They are a pain in the ass though and do affect the flow of the milk. As well as meeting a lactation consultant, you could see if there is a breastfeeding support group in your area - check Ciudiu and Le Leche League.

Maybe try latching baby without the shield mid-feed as he won't be so hungry and might be relaxed enough to try.

I actually look forward to the evening cluster feeds with my second now cos the older boy is in bed and I can just watch telly and let baby feed/sleep in my arms. I make sure I have plenty snacks and fluids. It can be hard to get used to it but it can be very relaxing if you let yourself kick back. There are enough good shows on Netflix to keep my occupied! Maybe check out the Timeline of a Breastfed Baby to give you an idea of why they feed more at certain stages, makes it easier to accept!

I've had to use the shields too as knockers too big for baby to latch on and i have flat nipples, they're a pain alright but I'm using them with a pump. Baby also has a mild tongue tie so will be a while before he's able to latch on, a friend of mine had exactly the same problem and her baby is now feeding away fine, just takes time and perseverance!! - that and shares in nipple cream!!!;)

I feed my little fellow on one side for about half an hour, while pumping the other side then bottle feed it to him to top him up, although am getting sore so am using the pump a bit more and giving it to him in the bottle just to give the nipples a break, downside of the bottle is he wolfs it down then gets all gassy and colicky, am having to stop every minute or so to burp the poor little man! Will be glad when I can ditch the shields and pump!

Thanks guys, haven't worked up the courage to attempt any feeds without the shields, my hubby is dead against trying without them as there's been such an improvement in his latch since we began using them.

Got out for a walk today, was my first real stretch of time outdoors since the birth, I've been taking it easy because of the section. Took a walk up to the in laws. Had to feed the little one up there and got a bit flustered with trying to be discreet. Ended up with the little one getting really frustrated, not latching proprely and screaming the place down. He hasn't really settled since.

At this stage I can't vision myself getting out and about and breastfeeding in public, I don't see myself managing to be discreet especially with the shields. It's playing on my mind as I know I'll need to be mobile for my sanity. I know that all the advice says not to express for the first 6 weeks unless in certain circumstances but I am so tempted to see if I could introduce a bottle of expressed milk occasionally to get me through a trip out or maybe to feed when we have visitors as I know that some of our callers are not comfortable with being here when I'm feeding. They ask in advance when is a good time to call, what they mean is when won't you be feeding!! I have to explain that at this stage he is feeding on demand and I don't know when he will want a feed.

I really wanted to breastfeed for as long as I could but if you ask me now I'd say if I get to 6 weeks I will be looking at other options if I feel I can't get out of the house because of it.

Sorry for long post - it's weighing on my mind a bit!

It shouldn't make much difference wether you use a bottle or not with the shields as baby is already used to sucking on a silicon teat really so not much difference to a bottle, my little fellow doesn't seem to care where his grub comes from and feeds from both no problem! So I'd say a bottle occasionally isn't going to do much harm if it means you can get out and about! I've yet to try feeding in public but like you the shields aren't the most subtle way, especially if they get knocked off!:D - I have visions of chasing a shield across a restaurant floor with a boob hanging out and a baby screaming!!:D ;)
    I've found my OH is enjoying feeding baby from a bottle as he's at work all day so it's a chance for him to bond a bit more with him, not to mention my mother and sister too sometimes, then I get back to boob feeding when he's at work etc, so for me the main thing is getting breast milk into him instead of formula, as he gets bigger I hope he'll latch without. I did get hold of some large sized shields so hes now got the hang of opening his mouth as wide as possible, and I'm getting some of those nipple sucker outy thingys!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Hey ladies! Sorry if I'm butting in again. Iv just been where ye are now only a few weeks ago with the same thoughts going through my head.

1) if you can express, I would introduce a bottle as early as you feel comfortable. My little one took a bottle no problem until she was about 10 weeks old, then all of a sudden refused the bottle. We only gave her a bottle when we needed to which wasn't very often, and I regret now not getting it part of our routine. I can't go anywhere without her at the moment, and I'm feeling a little bit trapped as a result.

2) don't worry about anyone else when your feeding your little ones in public. Anyone that has a problem with it, it's on them, not you. I was terrified before my first time and now I don't even think about it. Iv never noticed anyone in public paying much heed to me. The first time you plan on it, have someone with you, find a semi private spot, get a coffee and have a chat.

3) I was very conscious of not giving anyone an eye full, especially with the shield's. Iv tried a few ways, but what works best for me is to hook a muslin cloth around my bra strap and drape it over my boob like a curtain. Have baby ready on my lap, position shield and then bring baby under. It takes a little bit of practice when youve a wriggly baby on your hands, but you'll both get better at it. You'll find what works best for you after some practice.

Finally, i know you don't want to make your visitors uncomfortable, but your doing what you feel is best for your baby. I kinda have the same mentality now as feeding in public, it's on them if they have a problem with it, especially if your being discrete. At first I wouldn't feed my little one in front of people, especially the granddad's and my brother. But now I don't care, but I always use a muslin cloth for my own comfort.
    Anyways, hopefully that's been of some help. Everything about breastfeeding does generally get easier with time and you do get less conscious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

It's your home, if they don't want to see you feeding your precious new baby they know where the door is. Never feel you have to be discreet in your own home, that is your own personal safe haven. If they come knowing baby will be feeding then they have made that decision, never feel that you're in the wrong or need to be apologetic.

Get to your nearest Cuidiu/La Leche League/HSE breastfeeding group, you'll see so many types of boobs, latches, positions, etc you won't bat an eye very soon :) Or see if there's a Breastfeeding Buddy system locally.

Thanks everyone for the advice! I actually managed all feeds today without the shields. Bit early to say that I'm done with them but here's hoping!

How is everyone doing?

Going through a growth spurt here I think very fussy wants to be on me and constantly feeding it seems! 3 weeks can have a growth spurt right?

Yep, 3 weeks is prime time for a growth spurt. My lo is 3 weeks today and I'm anxiously waiting on it here, he fed like mad the last couple of days but I reckon the full on growth spurt is yet to hit!!

• Advertisement

Ha ha I hear ya, he might be quiet as mouse all day and then as soon as you sit down to eat he's like "I don't think do! "

Advertisement