Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home insurance renewal fees

• 16-02-2016 1:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭

I am an apartment owner, so much of my home insurance is covered jointly by the service charge.

However, I also have a seperate home contents policy which comes to 124.52 per annum.

My renewal notice quotes that amount, plus a government levy of 5% and a renewal fee of 30 Euro.

I may be blind, but I did not previously notice this renewal fee, and certainly not for 30 Euro.

I personally think renewal fees have no justification whatsoever, but leaving that point aside, what I want to know is: is this renewal fee common to all insurers, and if so, is 30 Euro the amount I should normally expect to pay?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Renewal fee is charged by the broker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

I personally think renewal fees have no justification whatsoever........

Nothing to stop you researching the market yourself for the best price, making sure the wordings and exclusions suit your circumstances, doing the admin on policy issue and handling any claim matters that might arise

The fee must always be disclosed and it is your option to place the cover personally with the insurer should you wish, though brokers often obtain significant discounts on account of the workload they take away from insurers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

I am getting this from Post insurance, who apparently are not really insurers themselves.

Unfortunately I only have a day or 2 before my present cover expires, and I am up to my ears so I have no time to shop around.

Advertisement