Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

was/is Saorview a flop?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,533 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

was in local currys store on Sunday - saw a (very pricey!) Blue-Ray player with Built in 1TB hard drive ... on the front 'FreeView+HD' so it was definately marketed for UK, but pretty sure on the Label on the shelf it said 'Saorview Recorder with 1TB Hard Disk' - well fair enough, am sure it does indeed record Saorview, but what about the TV guide etc? - is it likely to work OK with the Saorview TV Guide and series linking? thats the thing
    Panasonic DMR-PWT635 I assume, a model exclusive to Currys.

Purchased one previously, no Ireland setting on setup with channels stored in the 800s but can be easily reordered as required. Series linking disabled by Saorview but did work when I first purchased. Nice user interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

The Cush wrote: »
    Panasonic DMR-PWT635 I assume, a model exclusive to Currys.

Purchased one previously, no Ireland setting on setup with channels stored in the 800s but can be easily reordered as required. Series linking disabled by Saorview but did work when I first purchased. Nice user interface.

looks a good bit of kit though, and it being a panasonic , would be a good make, and much better than the USB/PVR/external hard drive route - so it having 2 HD tuners that would mean then being able to watch one channel and record another? - or maybe record 2 channels and watch another? - how ludicrous that saorview has done that to the series linking feature for non Saorview approved devices :(

so it having 2 HD tuners that would mean then being able to watch one channel and record another? - or maybe record 2 channels and watch another?

Yes you can watch 1/record 1 or record 2/playback 1. One thing I've never tested actually is record 2 and watch 1, don't think it would work but will test it out soon.

Series link was very good on the Panasonic, even discovered the problem with series linking the Vincent Brown show on TV3 with the box http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89854521
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90363293

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I have a similar Panasonic model that I bought over 2 years ago and you can record 2 channels at once and playback a recording but not watch a third channel although this particular model you refer to may enable you to do that. As with previous poster channels can be easily reordered in LCN and it is an excellent recorder which I rate very highly. I have had no problems with it whatsoever and I have advantage of being able to record from both Freeview and Saorview.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Yes you can watch 1/record 1 or record 2/playback 1. One thing I've never tested actually is record 2 and watch 1, don't think it would work but will test it out soon.

Series link was very good on the Panasonic, even discovered the problem with series linking the Vincent Brown show on TV3 with the box http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89854521
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90363293

Given we have only two muxes at present, there would always be both the muxes available for recording and watching as there are two tuners. This assumes it can record one channel in the mux while you watch another in the same mux as this is post tuner.

• Advertisement

Ok, I've checked this, recording 2 channels from the same mux and 2 channels from separate muxes.

In both cases you cannot watch a third channel, only the 2 channels being recorded are viewable.

Advertisement