Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cramp T2 Duathlon - Changing shoes

Options
  • 16-02-2016 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi,
    Probably asked here loads of times but just looking for tips to avoid cramps. Started doing some duathlons this year and I have been getting slight cramp only when i go to change shoes at T2. It goes again straight away and doesnt affect my final run just costs me small bit of time in T2. Just looking for few tips to avoid this. Have been told to spin easy at higher rpm for last km before transition. Just wondering any other tips to avoid this thanks :). BTW i drink plenty to rehydrate during bike leg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Is it when you try to pull a shoe off with the other foot, cramp/spasm happens when pulling leg upwards? Where is the cramp, calf?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Is it possible you are undertraining and are not actually race fit? The very act of racing subjects the body to higher than normal stresses, and if they haven't been tolerated repeatedly again and again through training you can start to suffer on race day, even if it doesn't feel like you are 'overdoing it' at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Hi,
    Probably asked here loads of times but just looking for tips to avoid cramps. Started doing some duathlons this year and I have been getting slight cramp only when i go to change shoes at T2. It goes again straight away and doesnt affect my final run just costs me small bit of time in T2. Just looking for few tips to avoid this. Have been told to spin easy at higher rpm for last km before transition. Just wondering any other tips to avoid this thanks :). BTW i drink plenty to rehydrate during bike leg

your seat is too high ... ( half pink. half potentially serious)
    cleat positon could be another factor.
    at the same time its meant to hurt ;-) so well done on giving it your best . duathlon is tough

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭mikesavo2003

@ Viperlogic - Cramp is in calf and happens as I lift leg out of cycling shoe.

@ Mojomaker - General Training week is doing 2 days run per week (Avg 25km per week) and 2 Bike days (Avg 120km per week) with 1 Brick session where possible or else 1 additional run or bike and 2 core days. Probably change slightly as weather improves / days get longer. Avg race is 5k / 20k / 5k. If i train much more she will kill me but i suppose cramp won't harm me then lol

@ Peter Kern - never had any pains in terms of saddle height or cleat position over last few years on bike and have done big enough mileage but could be worth a look cheers. Ya true its tough and cud be a case to grin and bear it but also frustrating to be loosing nearly a minute after gaining on bike grrr hard got back on last run

@ Viperlogic - Cramp is in calf and happens as I lift leg out of cycling shoe.

We may be in the same boat! Mine only happens if pull legs upwards, requires some effort, eg using one foot to hold the shoe while pull other foot out. Thou last weekend it happened during a race when coasting up to dismount line and pulling foot out of shoe. Last year it happened when pulling leg out of wetsuit eg again one foot standing on the wetsuit while leg is being pulled out.

I got a retul bike fit which helped a bit but still happens the odd time. During the week I do 4 turbo sessions of which two are tough interval sessions of 110% FTP and 120% FTP intervals. The IF for these sessions ranges from .85 to .95 depending on wu and cd time whereas during sprint race my IF would be approx .99.

• Advertisement

was racing at the weekend and no cramps or even the feeling of one about to start. So what did I do different....spent the days leading up to the event doing all sorts of calf stretches and then before the race a good 10-15mins stretching them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭mikesavo2003

Nice one i have race on saturday week so will concentrate on some extra stretching of the calves next week so and same b4 hand on saturday morning hopefully get the same result thanks

Nice one i have race on saturday week so will concentrate on some extra stretching of the calves next week so and same b4 hand on saturday morning hopefully get the same result thanks

How did you get on?

I had another race last wknd and again spent a good while stretching the calves and again no cramps or even the felling of one about to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

viperlogic wrote: »
    How did you get on?

I had another race last wknd and again spent a good while stretching the calves and again no cramps or even the felling of one about to.

good stuff ,seems like you found a good way for yourself

Advertisement