Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postage.

Options
  • 16-02-2016 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭

Is it necessary to attach a stamp when posting a letter to a government department?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Good question, i would also like to know the answer!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Depends on the department AFAIK. I usually stick a stamp on just in case, unless I can find that specific address with the line 'Freepost' in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Which Department? As it varies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Social Protection

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭gercoral

it's only 70cent!!!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

chicorytip wrote: »
    Social Protection

I've to send in a monthly cert to them, and when they send me envelopes to use, they have 'freepost' on them. However, any time I've sent in stuff in my own envelope with 'freepost' written on it, it hasn't made it in. Now I always put a stamp on because it's a pain in the arse trying to sort it if they miss a cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭jjjd

For Revenue you don't, just mark the envelope 'FREEPOST'

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Donutz

If they have a freepost address it wont need a stamp, regardless of weather you use your own envelop or one of the envelops with the address already on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,035 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Toots wrote: »
    I've to send in a monthly cert to them, and when they send me envelopes to use, they have 'freepost' on them. However, any time I've sent in stuff in my own envelope with 'freepost' written on it, it hasn't made it in. Now I always put a stamp on because it's a pain in the arse trying to sort it if they miss a cert.

I'd take a guess the pre-printed envelopes likely also has a licence number in the top corner

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I checked a couple of departments (SW & Revenue) for mailing addresses and none of them mention Freepost. Without a pre-printed envelope which states 'Freepost', I'd put a stamp on it. Post #7 from Toots above basically answers the OP's question in the case of an envelope supplied by you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement