Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shill bidding on Ebay alive and well in Donegal.

• 16-02-2016 6:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭

I think Jake Stevens has relocated to Donegal. I've had my eye out for a ps3 lately, I was hoping to pick a cheap one on eBay. I've had this one on my watch list for a few days. If I buy something on an auction I will always have a look at the completed sales of the seller.

I'm going to send him a message on how much his maximum shill bid is for the craic, they're listed as a business, it's some way to make money. I think I'll send them a text and see what they say.

Ps3 listing.
    Screenshot_2016-02-16-16-37-51_zpskzgzrwvc.png

Ps3 bids on listing.
    Screenshot_2016-02-16-16-37-59_zpsf0xljvy6.png

The bidding history on completed listings.
    Screenshot_2016-02-16-16-31-00_zpslsg6ifnj.png
    Screenshot_2016-02-16-16-28-22_zpssgz1yoct.png
    Screenshot_2016-02-16-16-28-06_zpss3saihou.png
    Screenshot_2016-02-16-16-31-56_zpsvdxwpqf2.png
    Screenshot_2016-02-16-16-32-43_zpsagq15upk.png
    Screenshot_2016-02-16-16-35-57_zpssbtvhszv.png

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Jebus!
    That's the same person selling the same items, bumping up the end price to avoid and actual sale until someone, finally, pays a sum they are happy with.
    Cheating louser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Fairly clear cut example of it alright. Just fyi, Carphone Warehouse via their website were selling PS3's (and 360's) for around €99 very recently, not sure if the deal is over by now, but a pretty nice price for a brand new PS3 (even if it is the 12GB model)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Wait, is that the same person (a***f) winning multiple auctions and showing 0 feedback? That is not very smart of the scammer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Myrddin wrote: »
    Fairly clear cut example of it alright. Just fyi, Carphone Warehouse via their website were selling PS3's (and 360's) for around €99 very recently, not sure if the deal is over by now, but a pretty nice price for a brand new PS3 (even if it is the 12GB model)

Down to €80 now

http://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/Shop/Tablets-Accessories/All-Accessories/Sony-Playstation-3-Slim-12GB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I don't often start new threads but this is the worst I've seeing in a long time, I posted over on online buying and auctions. If it saves one person from this lad it was worth it, I sent him a message in anyway, looking forward to a reply.

Screenshot_2016-02-16-17-46-11_zps7fxiug16.png

• Advertisement

Ordered, I didn't realise they were that cheap new. Fingers crossed it not out of stock when it goes to dispatch.

The seller got back to me to say that for what little he'd make it would not be worth his while. It's proof enough that different people buy the items each time. I'm more confused now than ever :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

The seller got back to me to say that for what little he'd make it would not be worth his while. It's proof enough that different people buy the items each time. I'm more confused now than ever :confused:

How is that proof the seller isn't bidding on their own item trying to bump the price? You have called out the seller, they are now backing out of bothering to sell the items by using an excuse.
    Report it on eBay, if the seller isn't that cleaver (doesn't look like they are) they won't have used different net connections so easily confirmed by them.

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    How is that proof the seller isn't bidding on their own item trying to bump the price? You have called out the seller, they are now backing out of bothering to sell the items by using an excuse.
    Report it on eBay, if the seller isn't that cleaver (doesn't look like they are) they won't have used different net connections so easily confirmed by them.

I could nearly smell the stupid when I opened the message. It sold for the same price as a new one, minus the extra HD. The bidding continued to be raised and then two genuine bidders seemed to move in at the end. It would have sold a lot cheaper if it wasn't for the shilling.

Screenshot_2016-02-16-20-44-26_zpsyadmifk3.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,105 ✭✭✭Doge

A certain poster on here asked me to shill bid on one of their actions before! ;)

Wasn't long telling them where to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Doge wrote: »
    A certain poster on here asked me to shill bid on one of their actions before! ;)

Hardly one of the regulars?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I have a fair idea of who you're talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Schnake in the grass?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Doge wrote: »

Careful Now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Thanks for that guys. I was toying with buying a blu ray player for my second tv. I couldn't let this pass for 80 euro.
    Cheers

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Hardly one of the regulars?!

Yep.
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Careful Now

Don't worry, they know who they are.

Forgot to mention, did you end up deleting the Photos CosmicSmash, as they're not working for me?

I presume you saw the same account with bids in each completed listing with zero feedback?

Where it gets tricky is if someone gets multiple friends to do i who have plenty of feedback, using one friend per listing.

Then its almost impossible to tell if the bids are shill bids or not.

Yes, I deleted about twenty as I was having problems with photobucket. This is the question I asked and the reply they sent. I'll link the ps3 in question, every auction he has had afaik looks like it has dodgey bids, there is a controller in the listing that had a dodgey bid as the highest bid. This seems to have been relisted only to be shilled by the seller again. I'm not one to cast judgement on people but this is bottom of the barrel.

Screenshot_2016-02-24-19-10-20_zpsvxxbcqa1_edit_1456341078451.png_zpslyzd0ryg_edit_1456343091332_zps2sy0zqhz.jpeg

Bid history on ps3
    http://offer.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=222024972938&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

Controller first listing bids shill win
    http://offer.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=222008050310&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

Controller relisted, shilled, real buyer wins at inflated price.
    http://offer.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=222010575825&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

Positive feedback left by buyer.

Everything went perfect. Item just as described by seller and working perfectly. h***e ( 6 ) During past month
    Official Sony DualShock 3 Transparent Gamepad Controller PS3 sixaxis (#222010575825) EUR 14.50 View Item

Advertisement