Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brown soda bread

Options
  • 16-02-2016 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭

I've tried making this twice following the recipe on the odlums website.

But everytime it has come out too wet and sticky.

I'm following the recipe and weighing out the ingredients.

But I cannot make it look like the picture I added which I got onlind. Its just too wet.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I also got a brown scone mix where you add 300ml water but I used buttermilk instead, but 300ml buttermilk wasn't enough so I added 100ml water to 450g of dry ingredients.

The reason why I added 100ml was because the brown bread recipe had 425ml buttermilk and 475g of dry ingredients and I thought 300ml was too little.

But every time its coming out too wet. What am I doing wrong.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

Add less liquid if it's too wet. Different brands of flour absorb liquid differently so it's never 100% accurate in a recipe.

Which odlums one are you making? When I google it the pic I see is not one made with the recipe attached to it, at least I very much doubt it is.

Is it a mix that is meant to be wet and cooked in a loaf tin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

There are a number of different wholemeal bread recipes on the odlums website all with slightly different names.
    Its a bit confusing, even looking for the one I use regularly.

I agree with phormium, just reduce the liquid. It should be too soft to handle. but not very wet and sloppy.

If is sticky in the middle, or the whole way through. Is the crust soft or crunchy.

If the crust is very soft, maybe turn up the oven oven and cook it for a little longer.

With the brown scone mixture, if you added buttermilk instead of water, you added a different thicker liquid than you were supposed to . If you are supposed to add water, there is probably dried milk in the mixture, so you might have completely overloaded the mixture.

Advertisement