Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on postgrad conversion courses/Springboard

Options
  • 16-02-2016 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭

I have a 2.2 BA in English and History. That's pretty useless. If I could have I would have changed courses, but my parents have never worked, and waiting five years to try getting another grant (because I came of age as the recession started, I couldn't find jobs anywhere. I'm also autistic, so I'm bad in interviews) was beyond my maturity at that point. And with a BA, you really have to be enjoying it to come up with arguments and interpretations that get you good grades; it's not something you can just study and recite. I was very, very immature when I picked it as my course of study.

I was trying hard to get the 2.1 so I could at least apply to any-discipline jobs but, god, it became a nightmare. At least, the History side did. English.....it depended on the books, and I matured and got better grades as I went on. Stupidly, I didn't really recognize this when we had the option in the last year to abandon one side of the degree and do all-English or all-History. I thought I just needed to apply myself more every year, so I followed the advice given to balance or choices for a more impressive balanced transcript.
    Er, no. A 2.1 in all English modules would be more important than a 2.2 with English and History modules in our final year. That was...........a rather dumb decision, in retrospect, learning lots of my peers chose one side at the end.

I've applied for jobbridge schemes to get some work experience but they have rejected me as overqualified or I didn't convince them in the interview (like, I said, autistic. Well, Aspergers.)

So, yeah, a 2.2 in English and History. Thankfully a 2.2 is good enough to at least apply for lots of postgrad courses, so I'm looking for advice about what's employable. I am leaning towards either Web Development or Software Development, but I will be doing home study/PLCs before I jump the gun and apply. I probably need a portfolio first to convince them, anyway.

I'm also considering learning a trade, e.g. plumbing, electrician, etc. I'm trying to decide if I'd be happier there than in academia. I supposedly have a very high IQ so I was pressured to make use of it.

Advertisement