Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary school detention concerns

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

SAMTALK wrote: »
    Nobody said "the poor teacher" didnt get breaks or leave the classroom.
    POW camp?? A bit uncalled for to be honest.
    Because a parent dares to question a teacher they get smart/snide comments on here which is not fair to OP
    Lets face it. In 99.9% of these situations the parents are not getting the full facts in the first place. The education system would grind to a halt if we have every mammy questioning teachers why little Johnny got a detention.

He got a detention. He does it, end of story. Teachers are not looking for ways to create more hassle for themselves by inventing situations to dole out detentions. They want to just teach without hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

[
    Lets face it. In 99.9% of these situations the parents are not getting the full facts in the first place. The education system would grind to a halt if we have every mammy questioning teachers why little Johnny got a detention.

He got a detention. He does it, end of story. Teachers are not looking for ways to create more hassle for themselves by inventing situations to dole out detentions. They want to just teach without hassle.

Sometimes the teachers dont give the full facts either!!.
    Why presume that 99.9% of the time the kids are not telling the full facts.
    Not every mammy questions the detention but if you read back on OPs posts its seems that a clean slate was agreed on and she is wondering why they went back on this agreement

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Juan bu

He got detention for something a teacher accused him in the wrong for ,teachers are not always right why can't some people actually see this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

Juan bu wrote: »
    He got detention for something a teacher accused him in the wrong for ,teachers are not always right why can't some people actually see this

How do you know the teacher accused him in the wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

From what I remember, it was very hard to get a detention in school (primary or secondary) and it isn't that long since I left. He got it for a reason and he's probably been given detention to stop interruption to other students learning. Not meaning to sound stand-offish but you should giving him a telling off and not asking if it's legal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

We'll, honestly we don't know that.

You approached the girl involved and she says it didn't happen. No one wants to be the one to get another student in trouble. When you're that age kids kick other kids all the time. Mostly in a stupid playful way.

Teachers do not event these things. Why would they. They don't want hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

In my 6 years in school, I got detention a total of 3 times. Each time I would have gotten a detention slip that had to be brought home and signed by my parents, at which point I would be given the day in which to attend detention the following week.

My point being that the parents of everyone on my school would have plenty of notice of any detention their children had to attend. OP is it possible that as part of the clean slate that your son was going to get, involved him re sitting the detention, and this my have been miscommunicated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

How did you know which of the female students to approach,surely the teacher wouldn't have identified the student who made the complaint.

Where did you confront the girl,did you confront her on her own.

If You had approached one of my dds on the school premises I would want your barred in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I see no problem with this at all. My father was a teacher and used to be driven demented by the few that wanted to cause hassle. It was not fair on him nor was it fair on other pupils.
    I remember when I was at school a certain cohort used to view detention as "a badge of honour". I think instead of the OP focusing on the type of detention, it should be why little Jimmy/Jane was in detention in the first place?!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

What age is your son OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

I knew straight away my son would not kick a girl but I asked the girl myself just so I could say to the teachers I had done so as proof it never happened and the girl didn't report this the teacher said she seen it happen

Have you considered that it's your son who is the bully? Why would a teacher make up a lie about seeing someone being kicked then that can be very easily refuted.

Possibly the girl doesn't want any more trouble and just says it didn't happen for the sake of peace.

There's a lot of half stories and conjecture coming from you, OP. The only thing that is clear is that there is one incident of bullying - when you "confronted" a teenage girl in the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

You confronted the girl in your home, on your turf, without here parents present, about an incident that occurred in school?

Wow, What did her parents say about this? I assume if you know here well enough that she is in your house you would chat to her parents with here and not be intimidating minors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

I knew straight away my son would not kick a girl but I asked the girl myself just so I could say to the teachers I had done so as proof it never happened and the girl didn't report this the teacher said she seen it happen

You walked up to a junior cycle teenage girl and demanded that she confirm that your son didn't kick her. Then you triumphantly marched into a meeting and presented your evidence
    Madam the best of good luck to you when you are explaining to the judge in juvenile court that your son couldn't possibly have snatched the handbag because you asked the old lady and she said it wasn't him
    Your heading down a bad road. I know you love your son but the best way for you to support him now is to make him aware that there are rules and regulations there so that EVERYONES rights are respected, not just his
    That will make for a much easier life for him and you both then running up and down to the school

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

You walked up to a junior cycle teenage girl and demanded that she confirm that your son didn't kick her. Then you triumphantly marched into a meeting and presented your evidence
    Madam the best of good luck to you when you are explaining to the judge in juvenile court that your son couldn't possibly have snatched the handbag because you asked the old lady and she said it wasn't him
    Your heading down a bad road. I know you love your son but the best way for you to support him now is to make him aware that there are rules and regulations there so that EVERYONES rights are respected, not just his
    That will make for a much easier life for him and you both then running up and down to the school

Thats a bit presumptious . The poor child seems to be labelled as some sort of trouble maker on this thread. Yes if he kicked someone he deserves to be punished but the confusion seems to be a clean slate and whether that included the detention being cancelled or not.

The OP's child should be thankful that it is not in the era of corporal punishment. In those days if a pupil was misbehaving, the parent would give them another hiding when they got home!
    This was wrong of course.
    But the problem is it has now gone full circle and the parent's say " Never my Jimmy or Jane how dare you!" There seems to be a bit of the latter about the OPs post.
    This is just as bad as the other extreme.

The OP's child should be thankful that it is not in the era of corporal punishment. In those days if a pupil was misbehaving, the parent would give them another hiding when they got home!
    This was wrong of course.
    But the problem is it has now gone full circle and the parent's say " Never my Jimmy or Jane how dare you!" There seems to be a bit of the latter about the OPs post.
    This is just as bad as the other extreme.

But maybe just maybe the child is in the right this time. Is it not the mothers instinct to stand up for their child if they feel they are being hard done by

barney 20v wrote: »
    Two 10 minute breaks to consume lunch ?
    Sufficient ?? I think not.
    Wouldn't be acceptable on a work environment with adults, why is it ok with kids?

Any teacher forcing such a policy on my kids would I assure you, not give me " the short shrift"

All for detention when required.

Two 10 mins breaks for lunch are sufficient how long does it take to eat a sandwich? Also in the workplace how many people take shorter lunches when they have a deadline?
    The detention is supposed to be a punishment and having shorted lunches is part of that.

Thats a bit presumptious . The poor child seems to be labelled as some sort of trouble maker on this thread. Yes if he kicked someone he deserves to be punished but the confusion seems to be a clean slate and whether that included the detention being cancelled or not.

Oh come on.

When a boy's mother describes him as 'no angel' that only means one thing.

Oh come on.

When a boy's mother describes him as 'no angel' that only means one thing.

I would describe my son as no angel but he was never on detention,
    Its just a realistic view that no child is an angel.

• Advertisement

But maybe just maybe the child is in the right this time. Is it not the mothers instinct to stand up for their child if they feel they are being hard done by

Instinct, yes.

Then hopefully the brain kicks in and they wonder whether all these detentions that Johnny keeps getting mean something?

Frankly, the idea of just standing up and walking out of a class, for any reason, is completely beyond me. I would never have done it and if any of my children did it they'd be in some serious trouble. It's insolent and ignorant.

Thank god I am not a teacher if this is the kind of stuff they have to put up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Instinct, yes.

Then hopefully the brain kicks in and they wonder whether all these detentions that Johnny keeps getting mean something?

Frankly, the idea of just standing up and walking out of a class, for any reason, is completely beyond me. I would never have done it and if any of my children did it they'd be in some serious trouble. It's insolent and ignorant.

Thank god I am not a teacher if this is the kind of stuff they have to put up with.

Would it amaze you to learn that the kids aren't usually the main problem;)

Instinct, yes.

Correct me if im wrong but ive only read of one detention,
    I would agree that walking out of class is wrong but unless we know the full story between the child and teacher we cant really judge him.
    Im just looking at the view that it is possible that the teacher has something against the child. This can happen and just because the teacher is the adult does not automatically make the teacher right

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

My little Johnny is a prisoner of war!!!

Surely the Geneva convention applies in this case.
    Its to highlight that 20 minutes is loads of time. What about the poor teacher that can only get a 20 minute break who is supervising this POW camp.

It would seem that you have read a bit too much into the OP's posts, there is nowhere at all that the OP has mentioned "POW" or indeed "Prisoner of war".

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

I would agree that walking out of class is wrong but unless we know the full story between the child and teacher we cant really judge him.
    Im just looking at the view that it is possible that the teacher has something against the child. This can happen and just because the teacher is the adult does not automatically make the teacher right

Nope, there were other detentions. OP's post #63.

Bear in mind that, as I've said before, the vast majority of students never get a single detention the entire time they're in school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Because the OP has already said that her son has got detention/caused issues in the past.
    In the past when he received detention I had no issues if he has done wrong he must take the responsibility for it but in this case it is not his fault I'd be a fair person I've have worked with the school on previous occasion s and they have worked with me all for the benefit of my son and his education and things have worked out fine but on this occasion when a teacher is accussing him if something he didn't do and I can prove it and then the teacher changes her story it changes everything and the fact that the school made an agreement with Me to resolve the issue and then went back in that agreement doesn't sit well with me what so ever it's feels Like because I caught them out and can prove it this is theyre retaliation and I'm not accepting it teacher don't like to be proven to be in the wrong

Maybe so, but we don't know the full facts I can only go on the tone of the OP's posts. To me even the initial post either seems like grasping at straws\ very naïve.

And she also stated that she didnt have a problem with those detentions just the one in her post.
    People seem to be making the assumption that she thinks her boy can do no wrong which is unfair to her

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

My God this must be the teachers of Ireland fan club. Almost every poster here, seems to believe a teacher is a saint and could never do any wrong. Isn't that what we used to think of the catholic church too? Make sure to never believe the child.

Im more than 25 years out of school, but believe me I remember some teachers that were not the most fair in their dealings and a few teachers that actively disliked certain pupils, and it wasn't always justifiable.

• Advertisement

Kovu wrote: »
    Because the OP has already said that her son has got detention/caused issues in the past.

I only caught up with the other posts now. Previous detentions? So he is a detention veteran.
    Nothing more needs to be said here.

Advertisement