Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiking near Enniscrone

Options
  • 17-02-2016 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm going to Enniscrone for a few days Easter weekend. I've never been. Just wondering if there are any nearby hiking routes, preferably ones with a bit of a climb.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I'm from around there and it's pretty flat. Running up and down the sand dunes (there are some big ones!) is the best climb you'll get in a fifteen mile radius. Further afield, you'd be looking at Knocknarea (about a 15 min climb from the car park to Queen Maeve's tomb, IIRC) or Benbulben in Sligo, or a good drive to Croagh Patrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭WhyTheFace

Thanks for the rapid reply. I'd be willing to drive for up to half an hour or so if that's any use.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Ladies brae is about half an hour away, but probably quite gentle for you. Knocknarea is about forty minutes with excellent views and it's historical!

Otherwise, Enniscrone beach is long, and a bracing walk in the wind. The big dunes are at the far end, including the elaborately named Valley Of Diamonds.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

There's a couple of routes on www.tourmakeady.com though it may be a little bit further away than 30 minutes.

Advertisement