Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended motherboard for OCing i5 6600

Options
  • 17-02-2016 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi folks,

I'm looking at motherboards and i'm torn between the slightly cheaper h170 series and the z170 series for my new build. I don't intend on OCing any time soon (and maybe never) but I've read that it is possible to overclock the i5 6600 (not the K version). What kind of performance increase would I expect to get? Also, do is a z170 mobo required to OC the GPU as well?

I'm currently thinking of going for either MSI Z170A PC MATE (€106) or the Gigabyte GA-Z170-Z170 Intel HD3P So.1151 Dual (€111) but as I'm not entirely sure that I will OC (possibly after the build begins to show its age) I might just be better off with a with a cheaper h170.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

You can't OC the Non-K versions anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

I've an i5 6600K with an ASUS Z170-A, overclocked and stable @ 4.4ghz using a cooler master hyper 212. Temps are low. You can overclock them relatively safe to 4.6ghz, obviously depending on cooler and individual chip.

Not sure about the non-K versions though.

You can OC the GPU on any board, Intel removed the ability to OC on Non-K chips a week or two back.

The performance is negligible for gaming, by the time the stock speed is holding you back, an OC is only going to delay the upgrade a little longer. Almost never worth the price premium IMO, especially with the price of a board taken into account as well, whatever €50 odd you spend is better off in a GPU or case imo

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Bob Rooney

Wow! Thanks. How did they remove the ability? Either way good to know.

What about OCing the GPU (GTX970). will I need a Z series mobo for that?

• Advertisement

Well, I guess I can save a little money now.

Not sure tbh, threw some lawyers at it I imagine.

You don't need a Z series board to OC the 970

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

You can OC the GPU on any board, Intel removed the ability to OC on Non-K chips a week or two back.

The performance is negligible for gaming, by the time the stock speed is holding you back, an OC is only going to delay the upgrade a little longer. Almost never worth the price premium IMO, especially with the price of a board taken into account as well, whatever €50 odd you spend is better off in a GPU or case imo

That's simply untrue. You can look at any game benchmarks with a stock and overclocked skylake processor and see improved frames, particularly where there's heavy demand on the CPU for processing over the GPU.

That's simply untrue. You can look at any game benchmarks with a stock and overclocked skylake processor and see improved frames, only where there's heavy demand on the CPU for processing over the GPU.

Fyp

Obviously there's a difference between them, more so at 980Ti level. For a GTX 970 or weaker, there is very little difference

Edit: Didn't watch the whole video but from GTAV and the Witcher in that video, an average of about 12 frames between them, with both being around 100 or around 60

Not enough to justify the hassle any money to push but to 100fps on a 60hz monitor..

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its only removed on boards with an updated firmware, if you purchase within the next week or two and dont do a BIOS update then you can OC away.

• Advertisement
Advertisement