Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Biosand filters

• 17-02-2016 2:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭

I read here. Good while ago of a few folks attempting a slow sand water filter or biosand filter. Just wondering if anyone is still using this method for filtering water and using it for non drinkable house supply and if so whT kind if setup do they have. Planning a sand filter for my house to ofset water costs ir washing and showers and toilets and outdoors usage.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

SNAKEDOC wrote: »
    I read here. Good while ago of a few folks attempting a slow sand water filter or biosand filter. Just wondering if anyone is still using this method for filtering water and using it for non drinkable house supply and if so whT kind if setup do they have. Planning a sand filter for my house to ofset water costs ir washing and showers and toilets and outdoors usage.

Was only just reading about sand filters last night still have the pdf open on the desktop. http://www.preppers.info/uploads/Water_-_Slow_Sand_Filters.pdf also http://www.preppers.info/uploads/Purification_Of_Water_On_A_Small_Scale.pdf Probably not what you are talking about as those are for drinking water and talk about flow rates of a liter and hour, still might be of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

Very good read. The first link is more for industrial size filtration but can be scaled down so very helpful. Im wondering now can i use my filtered water to drink too. Once im up and running ill have the water tested and see what kind of results im getting and if maybe a ceramic filter in the kitchen will filter the last bit i need to be off grid for water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I keep promising myself to get a British Berkefield like this one Amazon.co.uk have for sale. I know I could buy the ceramic filters and make up a DIY filter but I want something I can sit on a kitchen unit.

That one has been on my Amazon wish list for years well since the pound got expensive. I keep hoping the exchange rate will improve.

If you are collecting rainwater for flushing toilets then I don't think anyone does much in the way of treatment except using a first flush diverter, opaque or covered tanks to stop algae forming and occasional dosing with chlorine.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

I suppose in relation to the toilet water my thinking is to have two 1000 liter tanks in black constantly filled with filtered water to use for whatever purpose i need and if that happens to be toilet water then so be it. I dont see the need in having a seperate water butt for the toilet. My thinking is to have all water filtered in site and stored out of the way and then that warwr filling my upstairs tank for all taps except the drinking water tap in the kitchen. So all other uses showers toilets bath and bathroom water will be filtered but obviously only if i can get a high enough standard of filtration so before and after water samples along with a tap water sample will get sent off for analysis

Advertisement