Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAM Upgrade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Looks the same to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Actually, it would appear that going from 2Gb -> 4Gb might not be a worthy upgrade as the change in performance is minimal.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2163&page=2

However, using the Task Manager I've observed the page file going to: 2309M / 4334M. I'm not sure what this means as the Physical Memory is 2046MB. Memory usage has been seen going up to 1.89GB. Allowing for Windows which would take up some RAM, I think the RAM is insufficient and an upgrade is still a good idea.

I'm running a data collection set monitoring:

Memory\Committed Bytes - Committed Bytes is the amount of committed virtual memory, in bytes.
    Memory\Committed Limit - Amount of virtual memory that can be committed without having to extend the paging file
    Memory\% Committed Bytes In Use - Ratio of Memory\Committed Bytes to the Memory\Commit Limit

However, I think maxing out the RAM to 4Gb is the way to go.

I'm not sure why the link above says minimal difference between 2Gb and 4Gb. Although it did state on previous page :

As the operating system matures, along with supporting software, it's possible that number will climb. It's a wise move to choose a PC that can be upgraded to 4GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

That article is 7 years old. Software memory requirements tend to grow over the years. Have a look in task manager when you feel the laptop is slow and see if you're close to using up all your RAM. If you are, then you'll see a tremendous slowdown as the OS starts swapping to the page file at a high rate.

The other standard route to speeding up an old laptop is to replace the hard disk with an SSD.

Advertisement