Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Avensis or Passat petrol models

• 17-02-2016 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi,

Going to buy a second hand car roughly 2011/2012 either Toyota Avensis 1.6 or Wolkswagen Passat 1.4 in a petrol model. Any advice ? Reason for petrol is I do very little milage and I heard that's not good for diesel models. Both cars are roughly same price.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The avensis is not as complicated mechanically, not having a turbocharger.
    The Passat will feel nicer though and is more torquey. The Avensis isn't bad for a 1.6, think it's 128bhp
    Safe bet is the Avensis. If it was my mother asking, I'd say get the Avensis.
    Strata spec in the Avensis is the one to go for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

I have a 2011 Passat 1.4 and it is a very nice car, feels very refined in a way the Avensis can't match. Your only problem will be finding one, rare enough. Go for Comfortline or Highline, Trendline is very basic.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mickof

Yes I can find a comfort line and strata for Avensis. Is the 1.4 Passat a big enough engine for such a big car.? That's why I was thinking 1.6 avensis ? Both have about 40K miles only

Thanks

It has fair bit of go when asked, and is refined doing it. One passenger asked me if the car was electric is was so quiet at idle. If you tow or travel 4 up you will need to plan your overtakes but 90% of the time it is fine. Economy is 7l per 100. It is light years ahead of the VW 1.6 it replaced.

mickof wrote: »
    Yes I can find a comfort line and strata for Avensis. Is the 1.4 Passat a big enough engine for such a big car.? That's why I was thinking 1.6 avensis ? Both have about 40K miles only

Thanks

To put this into context. The 1.4 Passat has 122bhp.
    A 03-09 Avensis 1.6 has 115
    A Passat 1.6 05 onwards has 115
    A Passat up to 05 has 100

The addition of a turbo gives it a bit of mid-range shove that you just can't get in a similarly sized non turbo car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

I have a 1.4 TSI passat and have no problems with it at all driving wise. Its a great car, one of the best ive purchased.

I had the same reservations as yourself in regards to the engine and such a large car, but to be honest, (not that i speed) if you want to leave someone behind, you will have no problem in doing so.

The only downside for me is the bloody tax. Even tho it is a 1.4 because it is turbo its classed at the higher rate into a 1.8. It works out at €161 for 3 months. Mine is a 2008.

The reason that the tax is higher is because the co2 emissions are higher than, say, a diesel version, and the car is taxed on emissions.
    If the car had been first registered before July 2008, it would have been taxed on engine size (1.4), which would have been cheaper,

Thanks for the info-
    Good information so far- I still can't make my mind up though......
    Passat looks nicer but Avensis is bigger

Is 1.4 not €190 on tax a year ?

Thanks for the info-
    Good information so far- I still can't make my mind up though......
    Passat looks nicer but Avensis is bigger

You sure, the Passat is huge inside and has massive boot.

• Advertisement

Is 1.4 not €190 on tax a year ?

no. on the old cc system pre mid 08 it's around 350 and from mid 08 onwards the engine size has no bearing on the tax. it's based on the co2 emissions only.

you can check the tax rate of any Irish car on www.motortax.ie.

the emissions tax change of 08 had winners and losers. the passat 1.4 was one of the losers where the tax went up.

size wise there's nothing between the cars.

Sorry tax is 280 on Passat 1.4 which isn't bad, I guess I'll just test drive both and see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Sorry tax is 280 on Passat 1.4 which isn't bad, I guess I'll just test drive both and see

I've just used the motortax.ie site and picked a 2011 1.4 TSI 122Bhp from random on carzone and it's telling me the cost for a year is €570.

EDIT: Ah OK, I've picked another random one, this time a 2012 automatic 1.4 TSO 122Bhp and it's saying €280. Does it being automatic mean less emissions?

EDIT: Nope, I've picked a third car, manual, 2011 and it's saying €280. I'm confused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Hi,

Going to buy a second hand car roughly 2011/2012 either Toyota Avensis 1.6 or Wolkswagen Passat 1.4 in a petrol model. Any advice ? Reason for petrol is I do very little milage and I heard that's not good for diesel models. Both cars are roughly same price.

Thanks

Avensis would be simpler - thus cheaper to run. But the quality of the interior of a Passat would be much nicer.

1.4 TSi, especially those with the timing chain, are not the best bet. The chain stretches (what those german companies have with those chains?!)... Has the turbo and some versions a compressor.

All TSi engines are direct injections: because the petrol is injected directly to the chamber, it does go through the intake valves and does not clean them, with time they get blocked. It is not unusual to see up significant power loss because the air cannot get into the cylinders.

grogi wrote: »
    Avensis would be simpler - thus cheaper to run. But the quality of the interior of a Passat would be much nicer.

1.4 TSi, especially those with the timing chain, are not the best bet. The chain stretches (what those german companies have with those chains?!)... Has the turbo and some versions a compressor.

All TSi engines are direct injections: because the petrol is injected directly to the chamber, it does go through the intake valves and does not clean them, with time they get blocked. It is not unusual to see up significant power loss because the air cannot get into the cylinders.
    /QUOTE]

No Irish Passat got the turbo/compressor engine, they are all the 122bhp Turbo only engine. As such they are far less prone to chain stretch as the turbo/compressor engines were. Not unheard off, just much less likely. Look for FSH and oil changes on time.

As for your last point, I've never heard of that before, do you have a link?

As for your last point, I've never heard of that before, do you have a link?

I know reliable sources in Polish, with results from Dyno etc.. It is not unique to TSi, all direct injection engines suffer from it...

A quick google showed this for instance: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/336352-Audi-FSI-Engine-Carbon-Build-up-Megathread

grogi wrote: »
    I know reliable sources in Polish, with results from Dyno etc.. It is not unique to TSi, all direct injection engines suffer from it...

A quick google showed this for instance: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/336352-Audi-FSI-Engine-Carbon-Build-up-Megathread

That thread is about the Fsi engine, not the Tsi.

That thread is about the Fsi engine, not the Tsi.

http://bfy.tw/4K9C

whats the difference between Fsi engine and the Tsi engine ? i'l guess one petrol and one diesel ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

whats the difference between Fsi engine and the Tsi engine ? i'l guess one petrol and one diesel ?

No they are both petrol. The most obvious difference is that the FSi engines have no turbo while the TSi engines do. I think the TSi have other wizardry also.

• Advertisement

The FSI is a common rail direct injection petrol. Basically the fuel is injected at a much higher pressure than a traditional petrol engine, which can are it more powerful and economical.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The FSI is a common rail direct injection petrol. Basically the fuel is injected at a much higher pressure than a traditional petrol engine, which can are it more powerful and economical.

Usually more noisy and less economical, they were a poor engine.

1.4 TSI petrol engine has tax of €570 for a 2009 model- bit pricey though

1.4 TSI petrol engine has tax of €570 for a 2009 model- bit pricey though

It's all relative though, pay more to buy a younger car with lower tax.

Is there a newer cheap tax Passat model?

Early 2010 I think the 1.4 TSi emissions were lowered for motor tax of €390. Down to €280 with the B7 reskin.

Did anyone buy them I wonder?

Petrol 2275. Diesel 4901

Petrol 1575 diesel 3178

Petrol 341 vs 1496 diesel

Saloon,
    2010 104, 66 of those were band b
    1652 diesels regged though. So not a lot of low tax 2010 petrols out there.

2011, 101 regged, vs 2874 diesels

2012 55 petrol, 2088 diesel

2013, 5 petrol vs 1777 diesel

2014 all diesel

2015 53 petrol vs 3112 diesel

2916 55 petrol vs 721 petrol (January only)

I'd say there was a gap around 2009/2010 where they sold very little, when the B7 came out they sold a few but as you know petrol in that class of car fell by the wayside as soon as the tax system changed to favour diesel.

• Advertisement

Advertisement