Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Avensis or Passat petrol models

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mickof

What are the B8 and B6 models I see ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's the model designation of each generation of Passat:

B6 - 2005 to 2010
    B7 - 2010 to 2014
    B8 - 2015 onwards.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Out of curiosity, I've read very favourable reviews about the Avensis 1.8 valvematic and am wondering if you've considered this car OP? It's supposed to be very good and pretty close to diesel levels of mpg without the complexity of an oil burner.

There are probably less petrol MkIII Avensis around than petrol Passats. Would be a safer bet though if you can find one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

1.8 are super rare.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    1.8 are super rare.

The reviews were all on UK web site so that that explains that :)

mpg review no doubt inspired by the pointers Toyota gave them about their revolutionary new engine.
    it's no diesel rival anyway.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    mpg review no doubt inspired by the pointers Toyota gave them about their revolutionary new engine.
    it's no diesel rival anyway.

Agreed I t's not an out and out match for a diesel but someone looking at purchasing for the longer term would be tempted by the the fact that there are no horrifically expensive bits to break like those on a diesel. A big car like that yielding mid 40's is an attractive proposition.

Change of mind --- Passat petrol engines are rare and they stopped making them for a couple of years 2012/2016 I think.
    Originally wanted a petrol as did low milage about 6/7000 miles a year-
    I am now thinking a 1.6 Passat diesel in which case there is loads around to buy.
    Any thoughts on this ? Read somewhere b4 about filter problems if they don't get a good spin every so often, any truth in it? My driving is generally short distances here and there
    Thanks

• Advertisement

you would be crazy to do that.

Why do you say that ?

your driving is totally unsuited to a modern diesel

Fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Subotai

I was in the same position as the OP recently. I needed to get a bigger car for the kids, but my mileage is really low. I traded in a Mazda 3 diesel, and got a 2012 1.6L petrol Avensis. It took ages to find one, as the petrol versions are so rare. It's slightly underpowered, I notice it when i join a motorway for example, but apart from that it's fine. Huge boot and lots of space in the back. So i'm happy with it.

I'm guessing about 15,000 ? they all seem expensive probably as they are so rare ? I've my heart set on a Passat now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Does Passat 1.4 petrol have timing belt or chain - I'm finding mixed answers ?
    Thanks

What year Passat?

2010?

• Advertisement

Chain afaik. Can stretch and get rattly which means it would need to be replaced.

Ok thanks for that- didn't think changes needed replacement - must look into that- has 44000 miles

A chain should last the lifetime of the engine but on that engine they have been known to stretch which means it would then need to be replaced. It's not a overly common problem on the 122bhp version but still something to be aware of when buying one.

Would you tell by driving ?

Advertisement